Have you ever eaten rabbit?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Gone and forgotten, Feb 21, 2019.

1. i have not! But interested if anyone else has. I have many rabbits as pets

2. Wizardofodd

Wizardofodd Senior Member

3. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

4. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Yeth, it is possible

5. snowtiggernd

snowtiggernd Member

My sister did when we was little. I don't think it had been cooked enough, she didn't like it Thought it Kinda chewy.

6. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

No. Plenty of pet ones.
    I like rabbits.

7. brack1936

brack1936 Member Lifetime Supporter

Rabbits are cool. We used to have a lot of pet rabbits when I was young. I didn't realise he was breeding them because he liked to eat it.

8. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Yes, but just once.

Rabbit meat doesn't contain much in the way of nutrients or fat which is why it’s not on everyone's dinner menu.

9. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

I have never tried them, but Jane used to eat rabbit when she lived at home in a remote country area and her father used to catch them.
    She described them as tasting a bit like dry chewy chicken. Judging by the expression on her face when she described it, I don't think that she will be serving rabbit for dinner anytime soon.

10. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

My dad wraps it with bacon. :)

11. hotwater

Sounds delicious

Irminsul likes this.
  12. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

Yes. A bit lean for me. I like good, hard animal fat.

13. lion1978

lion1978 The King

14. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

Problem with rabbits is not the eating its the Stink cleaning them,butcher bought rabbits are ok because someone else has done all the work ! I don't eat them anymore because of the cleaning

15. themnax

themnax Senior Member

yes, and it was damd good. well mine was butcher bought too. that was a long time ago. i was still in high school and living at home at the time.
    when i was little we used to eat a lot of deer meat too. not always 'in season'. and rhubarb pie.

i know about the smell of live rabits, having pet sat for someone who had them. yah that gets to be pretty bad.

never had and never wish to, kill, butcher and eat, the same animal though.
    i've done each, but always let someone else do the other two.

not big on killing anything either, but it is part of nature, as long as what gets killed is to be eaten.
    anything killed for any other reason, unless its really self defense, whoever kills it needs to be forced to eat it.

16. hotwater

A couple of years ago there was this guy in China who was killing stray cats, gutting & skinning them, and then trying to pass them off as rabbits.
    - They caught the SOB but not before he killed hundreds of strays.

17. themnax

themnax Senior Member

that's almost kind of a cleche. a cleaned and skinned rabbit and a cat that has been, do look rather a lot alike.
    and people, a few and rarely, but it does happen, every place on the planet. not just china any more then any place else.

argentina, mississippi, iran or madigasgar, any place where you have a lot of very poor people it can happen.

the meat of preditors, and cats are of course preditors, isn't usually very good,
    but many other small animals are, including squirrels, if you don't mind all the tiny bones, are.

18. hotwater

The guy even thought he was doing his civic duty by reducing the stray cat population.

In addition to the fact that it’s illegal to sell cat, he misrepresented what he was selling which is another crime.

19. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i'm not doubting you. there are people in australia who think like that.
    the civic duty to reduce habitat loss to other creatures, isn't stray cats, its to reduce the human birthrate.
    its just that while china is by no means exempt as a place for this to happen, neither is it any more frequent or probable there, other then as a pejorative cleche'.
    so why else pick there, as a location for your example?

20. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

It is a strange irony in a way, that while we are all horrified at the mere thought of stray animals being slaughtered for food. We then sit down and eat our dinner without giving a second thought about the fact we ourselves are now eating an animal that has been slaughtered.

themnax and ZenKarma like this.