Have you ever been in a cult??

Discussion in 'Cults' started by Aditi, May 16, 2004.

1. Aditi

Aditi Member

either well known or tiny and hidden??
    what was it like
    mind, sharing experiences

2. ericf

ericf Member

The word cult means many things to many people. Are we talking robes, new sneakers, and special punch cults? Or maybe the mormons (they're a cult to some people)? Or what? I was a mormon for a while does that count? I've never been in a good cult -- but I'm still looking. :D

3. Aditi

Aditi Member

yeah yeah yeah i've been in thoudands of cults technically

answer however you wanthowever the question strikes you -- which is exactly what you did

4. VanAstral

VanAstral Member

I wanna hear about freaky secret goat-sacrificing cults.

5. ericf

ericf Member

Frankly, the most cultish group I was a part of was a fundamentalist church. I won't name the denomination (pentecostal though) but there were some freaky things in that church. Dating was off limits... you were expected to have an accountability partner to keep you from "sexual temptation" aka if you jerk off your supposed to tell your buddy about it... you must speak in toungs and be filled with the holy spirit... the pastor was the unquestionable authority from God (questioning him was disobedience)... I was at that chuch 5-6 days out of seven... everyone who wasn't part of the church was being misled by satan... everything you do should concern God, saving others, and the church since the rapture is going to happen any second... etc. It was a real freaky experience.

My mom is still semi-involved in that movement. I went through the whole thing after I stopped believing but I had to pretend. Had I not pretended I would suffer constant meetings with the pastors, possible attempted exorcism, or even been thrown out of my house. I know... thinking back this does seem like a bad dream. It made my teenage years great. Imagine being a freethinking hippie in that environment. I had a friend who was forbidden to talk to me for over a month because I admitted that I have willfully lied in the past. His mom didn't want my bad influence on her son.

It was fun. But we didn't get robes, punch, or to dance with rattlesnakes... I missed out.

6. TerminalMadness

TerminalMadness Member

Every religion is a cult.

7. Iacchus

Iacchus Member

Isn't America a cult~ture? God bless America! ;)

8. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

I was convinced that I started one, back when I was twelve... don't know why... I was so weird as a kid...

9. dharmaseeker77

dharmaseeker77 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

yeah, back when I was 20 I was in a group of Seventh day Advenstists called "Davidians" it was a really weird thing with compounds and everything. It was awful. I am still healing today.

10. MADHUACE

MADHUACE Member

I was a member of the Scientology group as a course suppervisor

11. jay

jay Member

Ive allways wanted to join a cult, but MBNA just isnt what i am looking for.

Line used in my exit interview, from an evil telemarketing job selling credit cards.

The people their seem very cultish it was werid. we dident have robes but we had to wear a tie.... thats almost a robe right?

12. loverofthewoods

loverofthewoods Member

i grew up in utah and until i was 12 was forced to go to the mormon church...i consider that a cult. the indoctrination that goes on in that place is heavy...especially when your a child, thank god i got out of there and my mind was able to recover....crazy mormons

13. Sunburst

Sunburst Fairy

I read somewhere this list of signs your church/group is unsafe. It included:
    >The leader should not be questioned
    >It is the only way, all others are wrong
    >You are discouraged to learn about other beliefs/religions
    >You are forced or made to participate in practices before you are personally ready to

That's friggin scary, friend, I'm sorry youn had to go through that. Of course, in the end it makes you stronger, so:)

14. Nathan11

Nathan11 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

What 'cults' are you talking about, if you don't mind me asking?

What are these cults?

15. brokenwingz425

brokenwingz425 Member

what is silver star? ive never heard of that one

16. thehipsterdufus

thehipsterdufus Member

Is anyone familiar with the International Churches of Christ (the Boston Movement)? I was invilved with that group back in the mid-90s, and there is a lot of information about them being a cult, or having cult-like doctrines.

I have heard of Silver Star, but don't know much about them.

17. brokenwingz425

brokenwingz425 Member

You cant spell culture without first spelling cult

18. Hari

Hari Art thou Art

Christ family was my weirdest, but for me they were stepping stones to my individuality.

19. NightOwl1331

NightOwl1331 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

My friend always tells me I'd make a great cult leader. :X

20. Hari

Hari Art thou Art

Cults allow you take giant steps.
    Churches are a mockery of any spiritualty or self-search; only in a cult you feel any connection at all, yet I think ultimately, it is you yourself you need to get to know. And that can be done even by your own lonesome self.