Have You Been to These Belgian Cities?

Discussion in 'Belgium' started by koopa, Feb 15, 2007.

1. koopa

koopa De Kuil Krue Hipster

Hello All,

I travel to the netherlands every year for vacation and will be possibly branching out to Belgium for my first time this May. I am looking for feedback on the best and worst of Belgian cities to spend time in. I'm in my late twenties, love to party, love architecture, etc.

So far I am considering:

Antwerp
    Brussells
    Ghent
    Bruges
    Leuven

I will probably only be able to visit 2 of these cities so I need help narrowing my selections down. If I can afford this daytrip my budget will be tight so that should be a factor in the narrowing. Can anybody provide some feedback on these cities?

Thanks,
    Koopa

2. posty-mcpost

posty-mcpost Member

I've been to Brussels and Brugges. Brussels is slow and spread out but the Gran Plaz is worth seeing. I'm sure there's a party scene there but you'd have to do some looking to find it.

Brugges is a town that time forgot. The river silted up and trade stopped so what was there 500 years ago hasn't changed a whole lot. The town square and stadhuis are ok but the real charm is in smaller streets and back alleys. When I was there in the summer there were hordes of tourists but they stuck to the main drags.

3. mopperm1

mopperm1 Member

brussels is a great day trip....too bad you don't know anybody that's been there before.....LMAO maybe we'll run into each other in the future and I'll tell ya all about it....

[​IMG]

4. koopa

or you could be the best and post some of your wisdom here in an effort to spark some public feedback and get a great thread going mopperm1! Please.......make that pretty please with sugar on top. Have I tempted you with the sugar on top? Thats the real clincher for me usually. I picture the sugar on top and get weak at the knees. :p

5. mopperm1

mopperm1 Member

just trying too get a little laugh out of you.....

Brussels is a great day trip(approx. 3hr train)....this is a "day" trip right? Don't ever go on Mondays as this sort of like Sunday with a lot of places closed
    The grand plaz is the most awesome square in Europe. Architecture is unbelieveable!!
    Chocolate museums, belguim beer, chocolate stores everywhere, nice redlight area, belguim fries are the best.
    Good 1 1/2 hour bus tour of the city to give you some history was interesting.
    makes for a great day trip.....Brugges is a maybe this spring for us also.

later koop

6. PSYCHEDELICA MAN

PSYCHEDELICA MAN The psychman

perhaps you can visit our coast:blankenberge,oostende. many dunes,nice cities

7. koopa

psychedelica man,

can you advise me about Antwerp? If I take a train from amsterdam and get off at antwerps "berchem station" i can get on a connecting train to brugge.

then i can spend a day in brugge and head back to Antwerp Berchem Station to spend time in Antwerp for the evening before returning to Amsterdam.

My questions.....

How far is Antwerp's Berchem station from Antwerp's Central Station? Are there any attractions close to the Berchem Statioin or are they all by Antwerps Central Station?

Would I be better off taking the train from Brugge back to Antwerp's Central Station and then a train to Amsterdam?

regards

8. Tamika

Tamika Member

Hey
    I live in Belgium and its really about what your lookin for

Antwerp and Brussels are filled with historical buidlings and also offer super night life and a mulitcultural bunch of people
    Gent i wouldnt go to, its nice but not the best of the best.
    Brugge is good for the historical buidlings and gastronomy..

I would defenitely advice you to go to Antwerp and Brussels, lots of interesting to see and do and it gives a proper view of belgium

All the best
    Tamika

9. Tamika

Tamika Member

To check out Antwerp dont get off the train in Berchem but in ANTWERP CENTRAL STATION. (its only a few minutes from Berchem) and u get off the train and not far from the city centre. Your dropped off at the diamond centre and the shopping streets and after a 5minute walk your at the Catherdal. Really pretty.

10. PSYCHEDELICA MAN

PSYCHEDELICA MAN The psychman

dank u tamika!

11. koopa

I'd first like to thank the Belgian Contingent for helping me so far!

Can either of you tell me....

how long of a WALK it is from Berchem station to Central Station?

how much would a taxi cost to drive from Berchem station to Central Station?

how much does a train ticket cost from Berchem station to Central Station?

Thanks again for your kindness,
    Koopa

12. Tamika

Tamika Member

Last time i checked it was not more then €1,60 for trainticket between Berchem and Central (one way)

13. crud3w4re

crud3w4re I like Grunge.

So the foreignors are spreading to different cities now?

14. Tamika

Tamika Member

Graag gedaan

15. Tamika

Tamika Member

Just heard that it probably takes about 20 - 30min depending on your walking speed. :)

A cab would be about €10 - € 15

All the best

16. koopa

Nope. Foreignors since the dawn of time have only traveled to Amsterdam and will only travel to Amsterdam. But I can see how my questions about Belgium may have made you think that this age old trend was changing.

17. koopa

thanks tamika and psychadelic man I really appreciate your feedback!

If you have any personal recommendations for good sites, restaurants, etc. in Antwerp I'd be very greatful to hear about them.

Dankje,
    Koopa

18. Tamika

Tamika Member

your welcome ;)

19. nldn

nldn Senior Member

Antwerp is a gem- well worth a visit

20. IamnotaMan

IamnotaMan I am Thor. On sabba-tickle. Still available via us

Hmm yeah I've seen alot of Belgium.

I'd def look at Brussels.
    Then u've either got Bruges( very old) or Leuven (student town and Stella Artois brewery I think)as next choices for sightseeing.
    But Antwerp is a busy 20 sthgs place for partying etc
    I haven't been to Ghent.

I'd say Brussels plus any other 1 or 2 I mentioned.
    Have fun!:)