Have You Been Laid Off?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by skip, Mar 9, 2008.

1. lode

lode Banned

Relayer my friend, I don't think theres anything I can do for you now... I'm not really in the position to offer good advice I think. But if you need anything let me know.

All the best friend.

2. seamonster66

seamonster66 discount dracula

The reason these states have sinking economies is that all the industry left for other countries, and the Detroit auto industry died so all of the support industries here went out of business too.

There may not be as many illegal immigrants here as in the south, but I'd still bet there are 300% more than when i was in high school....but thats not what is hurting the economy here

3. Carlfloydfan

Carlfloydfan Travel lover

Hey Skip,

I haven't been laid off, but lemme tell you this:

I started working produce at a New England chain store in mid July and figured I would keep the job for about six weeks (give or take a week), until I got my other (older) job back working as a teachers aid in September. Well, for a reason that I won't explain now, I didn't get that job in September and and I ended up staying at the grocery store longer than planned. In January, I was able to go back to the teachers aid job, but I decided to stick with the grocery store job as a second job.

I think I am lucky that things worked out the way they did, and that I stuck with the store produce job...with food becoming more a commodity, it is good to be right there working with it, to get the discounts that I do, to lessen the blow of sky rocketing prices, to an extent.

But there is only so much discounts can do against oranges going from 4 for $1 (or 8 for $2 as I get) to 3 for $2!! Lets hope I simply didn't see that correctly or it was a mistake on the stores part. But that right there, that one price, if it is correct, tells you a lot about our current state. The fact that you can get five less oranges for $2 compared to just a few weeks ago! I have also noticed, for whatever reason, that carrots (I only use them in soups from time to time) have gone up 30 cents a pound...those are the two produce items I remember most vividly. As of now, patatoes seem to be holding steady. I got ten pounds for 3 or 4 bucks to store away.

They say Maine was the last to feel the pinch (never mind the coming recession, we are in one), but will feel it the hardest too. Somone from New Jersey was complaing about one item being half the price in New Jersey as it is in Maine.

We shall see.

4. RELAYER

RELAYER mādhyamaka

Yet, Detroit is one of the absolute highest paying (even by brokerage standards) areas in the country when it comes to shipping freight. In fact, it's gone up in the past 3 years, dramatically. It's at a standstill currently but a good standstill. Funny, isnt it? :tongue:

5. RELAYER

RELAYER mādhyamaka

And Im not talking about Coca cola plant in Paw Paw, MI, or the factories around Kalamazoo.

6. Gravity

Gravity #winning

never been laid off.

7. skip

skip Founder Administrator

Here's a tip for those who get laid off or may get laid off.

I got laid off once, and when it became clear it was going to happen, I made plans. Then when the layoff finally came, I was HAPPY!

That's cause I'd already prepared the ground work for my new computer business! :)

The six months of unemployment I got supported me while I got the business off the ground. I think that was a very good use of unemployment money, no?

Of course that was during the mid-1980s, just as personal computers were starting to take off. So timing was good too.

But the point is be ready, start your OWN business, then you won't be at the mercy of your employer. It ain't easy to start a new business and succeed (I think 80-90% of new businesses fail), but if you know what you're doing and you've researched the market you stand a good chance of success.

8. lode

lode Banned

What were you doing with computers skip?

9. skip

skip Founder Administrator

I did computer consulting, sales, service, networking, programming, etc. Customized solutions for whatever my customers needed. I did doctors, lawyers, small businesses, etc.

But once the WWW caught on, I read the writing on the wall (not to mention the fact that most ppl started to buy their hardware at walmart). So I decided to sell the biz and start a new Internet company. :)

10. lode

lode Banned

Ahahahah. Damn I love that sig.

Everything else going good for ya buddy? Haven't seen you around much lately.