Have You Been Laid Off?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by skip, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Cate8

Cate8 Senior Member

I have two jobs in the service industry. I havnt even begun my career or education yet. Sighs.

2. hippieatheart

hippieatheart vagina boob

i work at a greenhouse, so they need me for seasonal work only
    i'm going to get laid off here pretty soon.. i'm thinking May.

3. Deus Ex Cirrhosis

Deus Ex Cirrhosis Deadbeat

That's why working in the blue collar/service industry is great. There is always a demand for labor, and your job is rarely threatened. And if it is threatened, it's not because of thhe economy, but rather because you aren't working hard enough.

The blue collar/service industry is the only truly American enterprise in the country. It's the only field where one truly controls his or her own destiny.

4. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

Yeah, I work at a greenhouse, but only during the summer and a tad during the winter.

Birdy, wanna get me a job in Holland? :)

5. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i can get you a job in holland, ohio!

:leaving:

6. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

Hmm, might be just as good as getting a job in Paris, Arkansas.

7. lode

lode Banned

At least Donald Trump got rich with all these lay offs.

8. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

never been to arkansas... but probably not

9. Cate8

Cate8 Senior Member

ugh. Theres going to be a trump tower in toronto. its unsightly.

10. lode

lode Banned

Lets kill him and run away together. I'll be Bonnie you'll be Clyde.

11. Cate8

Cate8 Senior Member

You know it

12. themnax

themnax Senior Member

multiple times in my life. how recently is recently. not that that matters. it's been a while by any reconing, since i've even been able to work at all, being maried to a wife who won't let me sleep when i would need to in order to be able to.

but yes, i've been layed off several times in my life, or rather asked to 'quite' and handed my final check. did i really deserve to be? for the most part in my case probably not. but i did have other things, not always other jobs, but other things, that needed my moving on to at any rate.

such is life in this screwball america where i happen to live.

if the poll had been multiple option instead of radio button, i could have answered yes to two of them and maybe to a third.

=^^=
    .../\...

13. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

No problem, there are plenty of jobs out here.
    You probably have to start at the lowest paid jobs, which is about 15$. I hope you don't mind that.

14. lovelyxmalia

lovelyxmalia Banana Hammock Lifetime Supporter

I just got a new job, however, business is nowhere near where it used to be. I work for Verizon and they're trying to put out tons of promotions in order to get business...hasn't been working to well :(

15. Tree-Hugger

Tree-Hugger The Chainsaw

May is usually when my job at the greenhouse begins....*crosses fingers* I hope she's been planting so I will actually have a job.

16. skip

skip Founder Administrator

Yes, that is why European economies (with the notable exception of Spain) are still growing. If you allow IMMIGRATION, your country and economy EXPANDS. Simple as that. You stop immigration and your country comes to a screeching halt. Too bad Lou Dobbs and his ilk don't get that.

17. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

When did the US stop immigration, though? More people are crossing into the US than ever before. We have an estimated 20 million illegal immigrants here now. With most of America's manufacturing jobs being sent overseas, many Americans are forced to take lower paying jobs that are being filled with immigrant workers, which creates more jobless Americans. I don't see how that helps the economy. It just creates more Americans who are out of work.

18. skip

skip Founder Administrator

Nope Rat, check your facts. Illegal immigration has slowed due to vigilantes at the border murdering Mexicans. They are much more fearful now to cross the US border. This has happened within just the past year (thanks to fear-monger Lou Dobbs). But that isn't what is causing America's economic problems. It contributes to the downturn, but isn't the main factor.

If you lived in California like I do, you'd be very much aware of all the produce that went to waste in the fields cause there weren't enough illegal immigrants to pick it last year.

Of course all those Americans who are crying they don't have jobs can go pick produce in the fields. But then the employers don't want them, not just because they want more money (and benefits), but because Americans are just too fucking lazy to pick crops like the Mexicans and other immigrants do. Your average Mexican worker can pick twice what an American would.

It's backbreaking work, you're exposed to whatever chemicals they've just sprayed on the shit, and you'll make enough money just to buy enough food until the next day.

But when Americans are finally BROKE and HUNGRY, maybe working in the fields won't sound so bad!

19. RELAYER

RELAYER mādhyamaka

With Diesel in some states over 4.00 a g and rising everyday, plus getting audited by DOT right now, my truck company is teetering on the brink of destruction :tongue: The agent is here now so I will be back and let you know if Im cut!
    Much love and good health to all,
    namaste

20. lode

lode Banned

First of all I'm pretty unsure that the minute men have ever killed someone, mindless of how retarded it is.

Secondly, illegal immigration levels are unable to be predicted reliably, since they are not reported. Thirdly the levels of illegal immigration from all predictable factors are pretty contestant, neither increasing or decreasing.

More importantly, the minute men project would have no effect on the levels of immigration even if it were competent enough to cover a very large border. Because most illegal immigrants don't come here by hopping the border. They vast majority come here legally to visit family or on work visas and simply overstay their tenure.

And the idea that illegal immigrants are hurting the labor pool in the US isn't consistent with the data of where illegal immigration is highest either. North Texas has some of the highest percentage of illegals in the country and the labor market here is hot.

Whilst in places like Ohio and Pennsylvania it is cooler whilst they have a much smaller illegal immigrant pool.