Have we become complacent about Trump?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by newo, Nov 27, 2017.

1. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Seriously, where did all the big protest rallies go?

Could it be we've decided we're pissing into the wind trying to get him ousted? Are we leaving it in Robert Mueller's hands, knowing full well the investigation might produce little or nothing?

Perhaps it's because he never seems to accomplish anything and we feel that as long as he's ineffective there's nothing to worry about, other than our government being made a laughingstock, more than usual.

Or is it Antifa? Have they soured people on protesting? I feel uneasy around them too and try to give them a wide berth but they don't keep me away.

Or maybe it's all of the above, and more.

2. GeorgeJetStoned

GeorgeJetStoned Odd Member

Perhaps the massive protests weren't as organic as they seemed. For a while they had all the signs of financial backing including transportation, pre-printed signs and everybody seemed to know the chants and slogans as if they has rehearsed them. Without money to shore this up, it collapses. A REAL grass roots movement wouldn't have folded so quickly.

But take heart, the big money is probably being directed where it can do the most good. So I guess all those antifa will have to get jobs until the mid term elections.

3. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I think this is a big part of it. He's just a big joke

But unfortunately his tendency to favor the wealthy over the poor, middle class, the environment, well basically his tendency to favor the wealthy over anyone who isn't wealthy is dangerous, as hard as it may be to take him seriously

But I think people realize that while protests are good for expressing discontent, it takes more than protesting to accomplish things. I think a lot of people have been busy contacting Congress and mobilizing support for 2018 congressional candidates. I havent protested at all but I will probably donate to a couple of progressive candidates and I'm pretty sure my own congressmen know me by name now because I use resistbot at least once a week to make my feelings known about whatever the topical bill of the week may be

Not that it matters, my congressmen are morons but I keep trying anyways

Anyways protests are a nice way to show disapproval but focusing on the 2018 elections is a better way to use your political energy imo

scratcho likes this.
  4. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Oh yeah, and a PSA: text resist to 50409 to contact your representatives and senators directly by fax!

5. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

it the same with kids

sometimes you get a real crybaby ...and you have to just let them whine and throw a tantrum until they wear themselves out and start to act civil

6-eyed shaman likes this.
  6. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

that seems like an inefficient way to be unnecessarily old fashioned. it's like saying if you email so-and-so, it will allow you to send your representatives a letter directly via the pony express.

7. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I disagree, it takes me 2 minutes to type out a quick letter and text it for the bot to fax it for me. Whereas if I faxed the letter myself...I wouldnt. I've never contacted Congress before the days of the resistbot. I'm way too lazy. This makes it really, really easy.

8. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

I'm not pro-Trump, but I don't believe everything the media says about him, either. He's getting some things done, I just think that the media wants us to believe otherwise.

9. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

fax machine really?..

last time i seen a fax it had a roll of paper on one side and it fed into a trashbin on the other

10. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

yeah, because fax is a weird and outdated technology. i was commenting more on the fact that they're using fax than the fact that you do it through texting. really, this is better than forcing you to fax directly, but my thought is do they not have email? or, if they're having you text them, why not just have a phone line dedicated to receiving these texts instead of sending it to an old landline printer?

11. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

There is a commercial here now urging people to go to a website to sign a petition for impeachment. Not angry political mud slinging but genuine fear and concern. It's pretty sad actuly to hear all the logical reasons calmly stated as the guy talks of protecting America and to know somewhere a Trump voter is yelling something like "you lost snow flake" as his TV.

Trust me the movement is not dead. But I think most people realize the truth and that is he's not going to be impeached. He's likely going to win a second term (easily) and his voters are so stupid nothing can be done to fix this. The Demarcates can not beat him and the Republicans will support anything he does because of this.

12. Meliai

Meliai Banned

They do actually read them, I get a response for every fax I send via email. One senator always sends a standard form letter but the other has sent a personal reply a couple of times, or his aide did anyways

There are other contact options with resistbot though. it emailed them for me once, I dont remember how I chose that option though. the default setting seems to be fax so thats what I usually go with.

I remember reading a while back that phone and fax are the best way to contact Congress. Physical letters spit out of a fax machine are harder to ignore than emails I suppose. And I don't like to talk on the phone. I'm not sure if resistbot has a phone option but I wouldnt personally want to make a phone call

13. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Hillary should have won. She is totally not crooked.

14. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i think it's probably because congresspeople are old and newer technology is scary. i can tell you i get lots of emails and occasional faxes, and if anything the faxes are more likely to be forgotten, lost, or ignored. or never even make it to me in the first place, which has happened several times.

15. Meliai

Meliai Banned

We use fax constantly at my work, that is basically our sole means of external communication. But when we receive inbound faxes they're routed through a computer program so we don't actually see the physical copies of them. I assume congressional offices use a similar technology

Anyways they do read them. Old farts

16. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i need to look into this. actual faxes are such a waste of ink and paper. and there was that one time that we ran out of ink and went probably 3 weeks before anyone realized that we just weren't receiving any of our faxes anymore.

17. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Could be.

I guess the black block realized they were helping Trump more than they were hurting him. By driving peaceful, sensible people away from their cause.

18. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

I don't know if you know this or not but she is totally politically irrelevant now. You can let your guard down.:smiley: She is going to be on Colbert sometimes that's it not even a run for a local mayor in a town of 200 now. Literally zero politcal influence besides maybe a lunch with a fellow Democrat senator or suggesting an idea on Colbert.

So perhaps you could let your other Republican friends know that it's over and they should address the issues of the current fuck up and stop this whole "but Hillary but Obama" nonsense. You wanted so badly to avoid a corrupt women (and she was) you put a corrupt person in her place. Two wrongs do not make a right. Any mistakes they made are now the problem of your man remember that. He said he could fix it so he should but he can't.

Says a lot about you that is what you bring to the thread. Basically saying Trump is OK because it's not her and that is all people like you have because deep down I think you know people like me are right. But you can't admit you don't like him because it's a culture war and he wins it for you so fuck the country.

scratcho likes this.
  19. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

How is Trump going to win a second term? Were you paying attention during the recent elections? Republicans were defeated in places that are usually their strongholds. People aren't just fed up with Trump, they're fed up with the Republican Party for supporting him!

As for him not being impeached, stay tuned, a lot can happen in the next 3 years.

20. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

Call it complacent if you like, but I've got a life to live.

6-eyed shaman likes this.