Has the 3rd amendment of the US constitution ever been violated?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Fueled by Coffee, Jun 29, 2013.

1. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

The question of the thread is whether or not the 3rd ammendment has been violated. Did this happen during hurricane sandy or at any other time?

2. odonII

odonII O

Which Amendment in the Bill of Rights never faced a direct challenge in the US Supreme Court?

Answer:
    The Third Amendment has never been directly addressed in a US Supreme Court case.

"No Soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the Owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law."

In fact, the Third Amendment is one of the least cited parts of the Bill of Rights, and was only included because England's practice of housing British soldiers in private homes was denounced in the Declaration of Independence. In fact, this grievance against King George is considered one of the fundamental causes of the Revolutionary War.

It is not clear whether the United States violated the Third Amendment during the War of 1812 and the Civil War, when it required US citizens to house troops, because virtually no legal action arose from the practice.

There is only one relatively significant federal case that rests on the terms of the Third Amendment, Engblom v. Carey, 677 F.2d 957 (2d. c. 1982).

3. StpLSD25

StpLSD25 Senior Member

Ha! Good one!

Well I enjoyed the laugh, my problems with the government using the NG for "civil unrest" is because

1: they disarm citizens, which violates the 1st amendment

2:They've been known to partake in criminal activity while bad things are happening (raping women/ going crazy and killing people etc.)

You're acting like it's wrong to question the governments motives; not only do these soldiers not help the people, they treat them like dirt, searching their persons/vehicles with no warrant and this makes America literally like a third world country. So if it doesn't help, and it does make things worse (because letting people maintain their rights to self defense is the ONLY way they'll be safe from police,military and, outside criminals from coming in and raping, robbing or murdering them!!)

I know in many cases you think I'm over the top. I'm sure you feel the same now. But they're trying to normalize this sort of thing so they can use it whenever. So let's say, for example, #OWS has a countrywide march in which they all have the same rules as their #OSD Branch (Meaning you can meet force from police with force.)

Anyone who's paying attention should know that the police beat the shit out of those kids. If they fought back, shit might get pretty crazy.

This would provoke 2 things to happen immediately.

1: the government would label #OWS, all of it's branches and, any "affiliated" group to be 'terrorist,' (including Anonymous.)

2: Obama would declare Martial Law (even if the government started the violence,) and they would call in NATO troops to "step in for the NG," and they're not adherent to the Constitution at all.

Of course, this is just an example; but this is really the dangerous direction America is headed in. They treat their citizens as threats to their establishment. And for those of you who support this type of government, there's nothing i can really say to explain to you why killing people on a massive scale to push an agenda 'you think' is right, is totally morally unjustifiable. We're not spreading Democracy or making the world a safer place- it's frankly the exact opposite!!

4. Sig

Sig Senior Member

Generalizations are so much fun. I have had nothing positive interactions with the NG here in MN. They play a major part in disaster relief here in the Upper Midwest, especially when it comes to seasonal flooding.

You cannot claim your hypothetical scenarios as factual predictions and still hope to claim an ounce of integrity.

5. StpLSD25

StpLSD25 Senior Member

Did I ever say that? No! Everyone knows this is not something that would happen. But I'm giving an example. THIS is the type of do-whatever the fuck they want government, that Obama supporters want!

6. Sig

Sig Senior Member

Yes, you did:

You posited a scenario, said it was an example of the direction that America is headed in. Just be careful when attempting to deal in certainties.

That said, I am always surprised how just how much of a gulf exists between you and I when we tend to agree on a lot.

7. odonII

odonII O

StpLSD25

I think it might turn out to be the Alex Jones/Info wars version of disarming citizens/confiscating guns.
    You know, NG find guns in empty house - remove guns from house.

I have read that there were unconfirmed reports police officers / national Guard raped women during Katrina - but that I have not read any confirmed reports.
    I wouldn't base my opinion on the entire national guard based on some random reports or on something I had read on Infowars.

So, do you think because there were reports police officers raped women - the entire police force of x, y or z is a bunch of rapists, and can't be trusted?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=n...urce=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=lpHRUeD5AeTS0QWG0IH4CQ

Why don't we stick to real life, and what has actually occurred.

8. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

There are always abuses of rights and laws when humans are involved in anything.

The question is what actions are taken to rectify those abuses.

Martial Law is legal if done properly, disarming citizens is legal under certain circumstances, shit happens and the government is responsible to all its citizens.

I remember Kent State, I remember the Civil Rights marches and abuses by governmental authorities, I have seen the results first hand of Vietnam war protestors being beaten, I am not saying abuses have not occurred.
    But we are a nation of laws and overall, those laws have worked and we have endured. As a whole we are progressing toward greater freedoms for all in the U.S. and world wide while living with local abuses.

We do need to be vigilant, and I do think individuals such as Stp are vital to our growth and well being as well as those who preach the opposite views. The ends determine the center, and the center determines our freedoms.

Many of the people who post in these threads were not around during the Vietnam protests or the Freedom Riders days and perhaps don't realize what gains have been made here and the rest of the world.

9. StpLSD25

StpLSD25 Senior Member

I'm talking about after katrina, where the NG disarmed people to rape them and shoot them in the back. I'd rather have a gun and bullets than all the dim-witted NG's in this country. and violations of the constitution,the posse comitatus act or, our basic founding principles of freedom, it's reason to question the current government. For those who actually know what the government has been up to the past 60 years especially, the theory I gave is not out there at all. Everyone thinks "that cant happen in America." but we're conditioned. This type of thing has happened worldwide- time and time again.

Those in power constantly want more. Meanwhile, people like you conform because you're afraid. Maybe you're afraid of terrorists or some crazy kid shooting up a movie theater. But your reaction that says "The government has to fix this," is where you and I differ.

The government barely does anything right, they hurt/kill alot of people and, typically makes things worse. The Individual and community has an obligation to take care of mental illnesses before it becomes violence. Anything the government can do, people can do better. The only reason we allowed the government to take care of certain things, is because we see it as a community expense. But I would argue that the nation would be more prosperous if we only used government for basic needs, and got to keep the rest of our money.

10. FlyingFly

FlyingFly Dickens

The question should be:
    Was any amendment non-violated?

11. odonII

odonII O

You skipped over this post:

http://www.hipforums.com/newforums/showpost.php?p=7693909&postcount=19

It would keep us more on-topic.

Rather than your thoughts on the size of government.

I would imagine you would be the first in the NG's boat if you and your family and friends were marooned on the top of your house. Infact I think you might even have tears of joy and a big hug for them.

[​IMG]

12. StpLSD25

StpLSD25 Senior Member

This is the propaganda they want us to believe.

They don't want you to think about the NG that beats you 67 year old gradmothers face in and takes her revolver

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1Qx0cTze0M

13. Sig

Sig Senior Member

So which NG is the real NG? The one that rescues people or provides of flood relief, or the one that beats 67 year old women? Both types are well documented.

14. odonII

odonII O

Isn't that the police not the national guard?

http://youtu.be/-taU9d26wT4

15. lode

lode Banned

Quartering soldiers? A lot during the civil war, it's like a quarter of the plot of Gone With The Wind. Although I think this is one of the ones that isn't routinely violated today.

16. StpLSD25

StpLSD25 Senior Member

No, I think they're NG..

But either way, I'm trying to explain that it doesn't make things better to give up your gun, when all the government agents around you have guns. And Many (not all) have been known to take advantage of that fact. (Cops, Army and NG) The only way to ensure your families safety, is to keep and bare arms.

17. StpLSD25

StpLSD25 Senior Member

18. odonII

odonII O

StpLSD25

She said police. One of them has 'police' on the back of his shirt. I think they were the police. :rolleyes: Did she and the other people in the video get their guns back? I think given one of them shows us their gun, I think they did.

19. StpLSD25

StpLSD25 Senior Member

Okay but the NG was involved in disarmament! and I doubt they got their weapons back! It's not like they wrote everyones address down.

20. Mr.Writer

Mr.Writer Senior Member

I"m not a die hard obama fan but i'm also not naive enough to think that theres some conspiracy to punch and rape grandmothers and shoot people in the back :rolleyes: i think frankly you fail at critical thinking and all these threads where you bonce around from tea party soundbyte to soundbyte are just examples of poor logic and fabricated evidence. if it feels like stretching the truth and it sounds like stretching the truth, you're probably stretching the truth. it's been well established that you have a very poor grasp of the documents, policies and people upon which you base your arguments on these forums, but you sure are rabid about your opinions nonetheless. seems to me you've decided what you want to believe and you will find the evidence to support your views.

i'm not ignorant to the real corruption and violence done to human life by governments and financial institutions but you take a few steps too far....