has "privacy" gone too far?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by paix, Jan 3, 2005.

1. paix

paix Senior Member

so, my father just shredded his old resume, instead of simly recycling it. When I asked why, he said it was because he didn't want anyone to get hold of it. So this got me thinking about privacy and how far we take it now.

Maybe it's got nothing to do with privacy really, and more paranoia, I understand shredding old checks or tax documents that are no good anymore or something, but when do you go too far trying to "protect" yourself? I think a big part of it is how the media will do damn near anything to freak you out with ridiculous and overblown stories to distract you from what's really going on, but really, doesn't common sense come into play somewhere?

I'm curious to know what you all think...

2. hiro

hiro pursue it

I only worry about my privacy when it has to do with something not legit. Otherwise I feel fine throwing away my garbage without worrying someone will steal my identity because if they really wanted it they could have had it by now.

3. Lodui

Lodui One Man Orgy

Maybe your dad didn't want his invisible enemies to know he knows how to make ice cream soup.

4. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

Was his resume on a computer? Really, if someone wanted it, they already have it.

5. seamonster66

seamonster66 discount dracula

Heaven forbid someone know his first job was at Taco Bell, or worse yet, his address

6. Lodui

Lodui One Man Orgy

Monster 'ya fuckin' pimp, whats up? How've ya been? [​IMG]

7. seamonster66

seamonster66 discount dracula

well well, lodui back in the land of the living....how is San Antonio?

I'm alright, and you?

8. Lodui

Lodui One Man Orgy

Doing good, San Antonio is great, I'm staying with my rents for the holidays, still don't know when I'm going back, but whatever.

Still giving the Canadians hell? [​IMG]

9. OSF

OSF SeƱor ******

The need to hide a resume is not a need to hide a resume. It is a need to hide. We hide to gain advantage.

We no longer have private lives so we are forced to supplant the gap with silly things.

10. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

Maybe he just likes playing with the paper shredder....I would too! :p

11. Lodui

Lodui One Man Orgy

Yeah, that is fun...

12. paix

paix Senior Member

it is fun, but damn the noise is annoying. It's quite possible that he doesn't want his invisible enemies to get the recipie for ice cream soup, those damn invisible enemies have been houding us for years! I shake my fist in thier general direction...

13. billisgod420

billisgod420 Member

i had some damn invisible enemies at my place the other night. damn things wanted to raid my trash compactor. i dont even have a trash compactor, but they wouldnt take no for an answer. eventually i told them that if they left i would give them some shredded paper and all ended well.

14. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Have some of you never heard of identity theft? It's very important to shred (or at least rip up) anything containing important personal information before throwing it in the trash. It isn't a myth that there are people who tread through garbage looking for personal information that can be used to rob someone -- for instance, something containing an account # or social security #.

I always make sure all important personal information is destroyed before throwing something in the trash. I don't think it's being paranoid, it's being smart.

15. happyhippyflower

happyhippyflower Sucker Punch

When you slip a device in your vagina that shreds up a penis in the event you are raped. -Which will most likely get you shot in the face.

16. crummyrummy

crummyrummy Brew Your Own Beer Lifetime Supporter

wow...just....wow.

17. peacefuljeffrey

peacefuljeffrey Senior Member

I think you're going overboard in being concerned about it. If your dad had to go well out of his way to shred the resume, that would be one thing. But this is no harder to accomplish than shredding a credit card statement or tax return form. What's the big deal?

The fact remains that there ARE people out there who make it their "PROFESSION" to STEAL such information and come up with scams that use it to take money that does not belong to them. There is nothing wrong with being extra sure you're protecting yourself from having that happen to you.

Sure, the media make people crazy about the potential for this or that, but this example is one where they're kinda right. And since protecting yourself is easy, why not do it?

-Jeffrey