Has objectivity followed Elvis?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by wrat1, Oct 9, 2020.

1. wrat1

wrat1 Members

IOW: Has it left the building?
    Statements like "my truth" of which there is NO such thing truth "belongs" to no one....

Full disclosure most who read this thread know I was a defender of Trump not necessarily because I believed or liked him but because I saw lots of disinformation and bullshit swirling around case in point the whole "drink bleach" or the "virus is a hoax". NEITHER of which the man said. Whether or not he inferred it is an other matter entirely.

I changed my mind and no longer support him being elected HOWEVER that does not mean I am for Biden , Biden is way to old to assume the responsibility of the most powerful office.

But back to the topic, what I see here is so much vitriol and hate thrown (deservedly or otherwise) by those who are supposed to be tolerant .

"if there is cause for criticism it should be done in a mild way. But it is better to honor other beliefs for this reason - by doing so one's own beliefs benefits and so do the other beliefs.. therefore contact between belief's is good. One should listen to and respect the doctrine's professed by others."

Bias on both sides is crazy strong I actually wonder if Manson was on to something when he proclaimed what is truly wanted is a "race war" or "class war"

Was the news ever reported objectively?
    A Brief History of Media Bias
    The roots of media bias go back to the nineteenth century, and complaints about bias in part reflect a questionable idea about the media’s role and purpose: that newspapers and other dispensers of public information exist to transmit objective, factual information gleaned and communicated by credentialed professionals.

Here's Why Journalism Ethics and Objectivity Are Still Important
    Because of the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, the press in this country is not regulated by the government. But that makes journalistic ethics all the more important, for the obvious reason that with great power comes great responsibility. One need only look to cases where journalistic ethics have been breached — for example, fabulists like Stephen Glass or the 2011 phone-hacking scandal in Britain — to see the implications of unethical news practices.

2. ~Zen~

~Zen~ California Tripper Administrator

I do say the media is mostly responsible for the sad state of affairs in society. Decades of having our children prepped for battle in war playing violent video games, with TV shows, films, and music media backing that up with similar offerings.

Investigative reporting went out the window and commentators rule the airwaves instead of hard news from ethically reliable sources.

When emotions and hate are portrayed as everyday instead of facts and science we have problems with reality thereafter, and that's what has happened.

A good though provoking thread here...

lion1978 likes this.
  3. wrat1

wrat1 Members

Do you equate video games with violence? Or violent/horror movies tv with violence?

I can tell you this I grew up playing video games and watching the most violent/depraved/gore/horror videos you could imagine, yet I DETEST real life blood/violence/war etc

4. ~Zen~

I am super glad you evaded the mind programming being fed you in the violent videos.

Personally, I know several that grew up that way and turned into psycopathic racist monsters.

War, violence, hate, oppression are all things that need to be downplayed not glorified.

5. wrat1

wrat1 Members

YET here on this site I see plenty of hate/oppression most of it directed at peeps like myself who dont adhere to leftist views

6. ~Zen~

We don't hate you Wrat! I enjoy your posts.

If someone is directing hate and insults at you, let me know! I will have a chat with that person. We don't like people insulting each other here. It has led to many former members being told to leave... I would rather not have that negative energy in my life, or my forums (as I own the place).

7. wrat1

wrat1 Members

its just general sentiment for differing view points the tolerance is LOW , getting away from point of discussion though,

I like to debate I attempt to do so without insults and name calling , I dont mind, in fact relish playing devils advocate, I have few if any sacred cows so offending me is difficult.
    Without objectivity debate becomes pointless , if one cant be wrong one cant learn, you dont learn from being right