Has inpatient psychiatry improved in the last 10 years ??

Discussion in 'Mental Health' started by TheGreatShoeScam, Aug 19, 2019.

1. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

My experiences were in the mid 2000s and all they did was zombify everyone pill overdoses and it was abusive. I hope things have improved.

I did a lot of online activism before the censorship that has exploded in the last 3 years and I hope it helped. I put a lot of links to the human rights in psychiatry movement on Google for 100s of mental heath search terms. I probably got 2 million views during that time.

Its difficult to get any message out now, Google buried all the alternative websites in favor of 'big medical'.

2. NoHobo

NoHobo Members

3. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Cant think of a single person that was on a cocktail of drugs that 10 years later was convinced it all worked

Only those that say they were on a single specify drug that wasnt an anti depressant

4. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Things have certainly changed, but whether the changes constitute an improvement is debatable.

My view is based on the UK.

5. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

Got a yes and a changed. I spent a lot of time spreading the human rights message. Ill take it.

10 years ago they were absolutely reckless with all the pill combos. That doctor I should have had his licence revoked. Time Flys that is 12 years ago last time I saw that POS. I thought he knew what he was doing but really none of them do.

Its true though, really the only success stories I ever heard too were from people who took only one medication.

6. lode

lode Banned

Well my sister is in inpatient treatment right now for suicidal ideation. They've decided that ECT is the best treatment. So fuck no. On the plus side, it's not quite as alarming as it sounds. They put you out, and there appears to be zero chance of a one flew over type long term vegetable. It also does appear to work.

Minus side, it only works as a temporary fix, after a few weeks it's only as effective as placebo, and it's a dumbass 50's solution to a problem.

7. I think it all depends on where you're at. I was at the University of New Mexico a couple of years ago, and the conditions were atrocious. It was a terrifying place to be.

8. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Its not as alarming as it sounds???

Save yourself some bucks, 1 car battery, set of leads, two wet sponges

9. lode

lode Banned

Not as alarming as it sounds to my first impression, meaning they reduced the voltage some and tranq the patient so they don't feel it.

I'm more alarmed about it then you can imagine.

10. EricF1976

EricF1976 Jedi Knight

To answer the op's question...yes. I have found inpatient has improved. in 2010 I spent two weeks in a facility. Numerous diagnosis. Medication, group therapy. All the usual bulls-it.
    I felt it did help. Today I am basically stable. That is not to say that I don't still have bad days. We all have those.