Has anyone regretted getting dreads?

Discussion in 'Fashion and Crafts' started by Lilyrayne, Jun 6, 2004.

1. Lilyrayne

Lilyrayne Chrisppie

I was wondering if there's anyone out there who got dreads and then regretted it. What did you do about them if you did?

2. Grunge Lord

Grunge Lord Member

I had mine for two months and then I decided I didn't want them. Now at two months there not very mature so if you use VO5 conditioner in them for half an hour they comb right out very easy. And if they are mature and there under four years old you can do the same thing but you must cut the tips off. And if there over four years old you can also do the same thing but you must cut half the dread off.

3. ArtLoveMusic

ArtLoveMusic Senior Member

id say only get them if u truly want them. But having them is a wonderful experiance. u must be prepard for people to diss your hair constantly.

I was the only person who liked my dreads when i did them, and i fear now there are only 3 people i know who honestly do like them now other than myself. But i love my dreads as fluffy and young as they are in thei baby 4 month state :)

4. plainjanepatchwork

plainjanepatchwork Member

I regretted it only because my scalp is very sensitive. I knew going into it that my scalp had always been sensitive and I didn't think about the constant feeling of your hair being pulled in every which direction. I couldn't stand it. I regret only having nappy hair for a year then cutting my LONG hair off.

When I cut them out they were tight. Too tight to comb out. I cut up the middle of the dread then brushed them out. That help save some length to my hair. Most of it was about 2-3 inches long. If I didn't do it that way I would have had to shave my head.

I really loved having dreads! I loved being able to wear tams and head scarves. My hair is so fine I can't do that anymore.

5. bradofcentralpa

bradofcentralpa Member

i posted this earlier in my own thread, but:
    I JUST CUT MINE...how it went down
    i had my dreads going for about 7 months. i felt really great about them. they looked shitty, but were getting tight and turning into big congos. i saw them as a way to embrace the beauty that nature creates. the spiritual connection was minimal beyond the 'back to nature' concept (they were more of an artistic expression, to put it as cheasily as possible), so now that i've cut them, i don't feel empty or bad really. i think long hair is beautiful, and the maintenance that many perform on their hair is unnecessary. sometimes dreads are just more work than combed hair. keeping em clean is a challenge (mine were slightly nasty inside when i cut them), they take time to dry, and the neglect vs. separating combining dreads issue creates an aesthetic dillemma. you gotta be hardcore to let your dreads form into 2 giant masses of hair if that's what they want to do, and if you do maintain em at all, lines for 'keeping it natural' have to be drawn. it's too much hassle for me. plus, i had to pull my hair back at work to keep it out of machines that could turn my face into ground chuck, and they were so tight pulling em back hurt my scalp... oh well, 2 inches of hair will be 6, then 8, in no time, i hope. peace

6. mick_jagger_is_so_hi

mick_jagger_is_so_hi Member

I did, because after a while they get really nasty and anything you put in them never really comes out............ gross!!
    It took 3 bottles of VO5, 6 days and a bagfull of dead grotty hair before all mine were out. And my hair was in a terrible conditon for MONTHS. I'm still growing out all the damage.

7. PuZuZu

PuZuZu Member

gosh thats sad. i myself just dread the under layer of a portion of my hair, it doesn't bulge or whatever, just a about 7-8 dreads underneath the top layer that i've kept, other then that it looks i like i don't have any but when i wear my hair up it looks cool. so if you want to HAVE dreads but don't want to ruin your hair then just put SOME in.

8. Bohemian_Child

Bohemian_Child Member

be careful with doing 'just some'

my dreads came out almost a year and a half ago now- not something i wanted, i was forced/tricked into it by the family. not too cool, but im over it.

anyway, since then my hairs been curly, which im still getting used to. i never really brushed my hair extensively, every now and then id brush it in the shower, but as my hair was short after the dread removal i had nothing to brush. anywho, the lack of brushing caught up to me and a dread formed in the back of my head. i thought it was kind of cool, so i decided to just leave it be. i brushed the hair around it and all, but even with that effort soon more and more hair was getting sucked in. i had to get it taken care of proffessionally so i wouldnt have a gaping hole in the back of my head and so that i wouldnt ruin the hair. it was that or the entire back of my head would have been one dread.

so careful, dreads like to eat the hair around themselves

9. A Clockwork Orange*

A Clockwork Orange* Member

What did people say about your hair? dreads are beautiful

10. PuZuZu

PuZuZu Member

lol thats scary. my dreads better keep to themselves.

11. lunatic_on_the_grass

lunatic_on_the_grass Member

what must you do to get them done? I am very serious about getting them, but i dont want to get to deep into something that will not turn out. Would you recommend dreads? i have very long blonde hair, but i may cut it shorter? i dont know if they will look ok, or suit me.

12. MelvnDoo

MelvnDoo Member

lots of people who dont have dreads and never have seem to think that they know the most about them, so they offer "advice" on how to "fix" them. and then there´s the huge population of old people that think it´s "proper" or some bullshit to have short hair (speaking from a guy´s perspective, here). and then all the "professional" people out there that think that being clean cut=professionalism.

so while you do get a lot of positive comments (mostly consisting of "dude, that´s awesome!") from people who do like dreads, there´s even more negative comments.

all you have to be is strong in your mind and heart and no one will ever get to you

13. MelvnDoo

MelvnDoo Member

oh, and lunatic, i totally recommend that you wind up with dreads on your head. however you go about it is up to you, but the best advice i can give is to just let your hair GO. dont do a thing to it besides washing with a non-conditioning soap. seriously. doesnt matter what hair type you have either or how dreads "suit" you. just let them happen. once the dreads are there, you´ll know what i mean.

14. We_All_Shine_On

We_All_Shine_On Senior Member

to quote Madonna,

"I have no regrets, all the pain was worth it"
    I'm sure it's a piss off if you have heavy dreads and hot summers, you'll hate the hot, heavy hair... but it's all good up here :)

15. IvSeenTwilght

IvSeenTwilght Member

i regret cutting them out...i wish i still had them

16. Trixie

Trixie Member

I let my hair go as well it was messy and snarly for a very long time, it dreaded up quite well actually. I had long long hair , it was down to my lower back, although when dreads tighten up they shorten quite a bit..(no biggie though)...I had a few problems, itchy sensitive scalp, hard maintenance (although nothing that a dedicated person couldnt get around ), the dreads looked pretty groovy, and i got a lot of positive comments from people, other's just stared in shock , but it was to be expected. My dad HATED them...but i had already let them dread up so there wasnt much he could do...i kept them in for quite awhile until i cut them off, for a change, ...ugh..it was very much a tragedy. By no means did i regret getting the dreadies though. And i promised myself that i would put them in again sometime later in life. I loved them. I got them mostly to physically express my spiritual connection with the earth, promoting a natural lifestyle. They say more than just a hairstyle...beautiful things they are.
    Also, they are very contageious with one another, you let a couple dread, the rest will soon follow...although i know a few ppl who managed to keep a couple of them isolated from the rest of their hair. Curly hair dreads the best, although mine is straight and i didnt have too much difficulty.
    Just make sure that you know the reasons why u are getting dreadlocks, what they mean to you, and if u know how to take care of them or not. Because they look great and feel good too! Happy Dreading!!!

17. show_girl

show_girl Member

i've never had dreads myself but my friend did once. he had his for almost a year when he decided he didn't want them and they were really bad. we had to cut them off and found a piece of a chip while doing it. gross!! it was funny though.

18. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

hey Bree... most of my female friends who had dreads don't anymore.

Mostly they went at a break-up, but they also mentioned the weight, heat and how long it took to dry them.
    L was always fighting bugs because her SigO was a dirtball type.
    V figured traipsing around uptight Norman with a biracial kid was hassle enough.
    I combed mine out (I had a partial crop on one side of my face) because they lost SO much length (like half) and were irritating my right eye.