Harvey!

Discussion in 'Classic Movies' started by ginalee14, Apr 26, 2014.

1. ginalee14

ginalee14 eternity

lol

This movie is one of my favorites. I just remembered it. It's about mental illness. No, I'm just kidding. It's about a pooka. The pooka may be regarded as being either menacing or beneficent.

[​IMG]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvey_(film)

2. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

spoiler much?

3. ginalee14

ginalee14 eternity

Did you click the wiki links? lol nobody forced you to.

The movie is about a pooka, if that spoils it for you .. then don't ever read movie synopsis.

Here's the synopsis for Harvey lmao

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0042546/synopsis

4. ginalee14

ginalee14 eternity

Here's the plot summary for you, ah.

5. Duck

No, you said the ending in your OP.

I have seen the movie before; but part of the fun of the movie is the mystique created by not knowing exactly what's going on until the end.

6. ginalee14

ginalee14 eternity

I didn't say anything about how the movie ends. I provided a wiki link (nobody has a gun to their head, forced to read it). As for what a pooka is, stating a simple fact about what a pooka is has NOTHING to do with how the movie ends.

7. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

On Irish radio, a folklore expert was one asked: 'Do you believe in the Pooka?'

'I do not believe in the Pooka, and I doubt that the Pooka believes in me' was his answer.

8. Duck

Yes it does, because you don't find out that Harvey is a pooka until late into the movie; and pookas aren't explained 'til the very end of the movie.

Throughout most of the movie the audience is under the believe that Mr. Dowd is legitimately insane.

You yourself even said, "It's about mental illness." and that is what the author wants the audience to believe until just the right moment.

You have ruined the author's development of the story.

9. Manservant Hecubus

Manservant Hecubus Master of Funk and Evil

I'm pretty sure they mention he's a pooka fairly early on.

10. Duck

It's at least halfway through. But then the main characters (and the majrotiy of the audience) are all "What the hell's a pooka?" - and there is a running gag with this.
    At least two of the characters go to look it up and have trouble spelling it and then get distracted; before it is actually discovered towards the end of the third act.
    This gives the uninformed members of the audience a real sense of the madness, as they too, now have no clue what's going on.

I'm not usually one that gets bothered by spoilers; and the movie is still great when you do know the plot. But there was certainly some magic to learning that there was magic behind the film.

11. drawinginblank

drawinginblank Member

I have never heard of that movie actually.