Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows

Discussion in 'Fantasy Books' started by hippy i am, Feb 16, 2007.

1. hummblebee

hummblebee hipstertist.

Finished it this morning... I took a little longer than was strictly necessary, because I wanted to understand fully what was going on (and one thing I think everyone can agree on - a LOT went on in this book, a lot of ground was covered and if you weren't paying close attention to the details a lot would have been lost...).

I agree that it was mostly confirming my suspicions in the cases of a lot of it (I'll wait to go into detail, don't want to post spoilers!), but there was a lot of action, suspense, heartbreak, and to again agree with those above, a very bland epilogue considering. But maybe that was the point... :)

2. wiggy

wiggy Bitch

Im over half way now!!!!!!

Ohhhhhhh its good

3. Ghost-in-the-Snow

Ghost-in-the-Snow Banned

I know some do, that's what I'm curious about. I'm just intruiged about what it is that's captures so many people's attention. A lot of which don't read anything else.

4. revolution_time

revolution_time Member

I just finished it. Man. This series has meant so much to me. But what a great book.

5. hummblebee

hummblebee hipstertist.

Part of what's cool about this particular series is that it's so popular and so engrossing it's gotten a lot of kids into reading that otherwise might never have found much joy in it. The sad truth is that between TV and the internet it doesn't occur to a lot of people (particularly the younger generation, who has had these things as a given all their life) to read recreationally. But after they've found so much in reading this series, don't you think it likely that at least SOME of those kids will go peruse the fantasy section of their local library and find something new? :)

6. -moonshine-memi-

-moonshine-memi- Member

gardener: reading the last five pages wont really help. its just an epilogue.
    its kinda boring. and it doesnt tell you how it ends really.
    you would have to go to the chapter before the epilogue.
    i dont recommend you do though.

do you think Rowlin had the whole storylined plotted out before she even started the philosophers stone? or do you thinkj she just kind of winged it?

7. SilverClover14

SilverClover14 Senior Member

I really, really, really hated it. I'm actually kind of angry that I wasted basically 15 hours on it (2 1/2 to get the wristband to be able to get in the book line, 2 at a concert and waiting around to get in line, 3 in line, and then about 8 reading) when in the end, it just seemed like a shoddy product. Oh the rage I felt with that poor excuse of an epilogue. What did she do, get a 13 year old fanficer to write it?

All the other books were so good. Why did this one have to throw all of that out the window? It's really sad that Harry Potter had to end on such a sour note for me.

8. moonshyne

moonshyne Approved by the FDA

*potential mild spoiler details below*

like I said, I happened to love it. I mean, there are other things I would have liked to have been different....Like the whole thing with snape, always seeming like something really importanted/connected in the other books, and he just sort of went away in this book, with nothing more important than a patronus and a memory for harry. I was expecting big things from him, I was a little disappointed there. I was also disappointed that there was no going through the veil or back to the department of mysteries. There was no self-sacrifice from pettigrew, at least not like the one I was expecting.

But man, the way the book just EXPLODED with action nearly from the beginning with that chase, maybe it had more to do with the fact that I read it at 3 in the morning, but I almost didn't breath the entire time. And even though it was only a moment toward the end, I loved what Narcissa did....you know what I'm talking about.

Overall, even though there are several things I think could have used a little sprucing up, I'm am very pleased with DH, except for the epilogue, ugh. I am half considering burning those last pages, as they seem to taint the rest of my book. [​IMG][​IMG]

9. flowersinmyhair

flowersinmyhair Member

I was hoping for more from Snape too, I always liked him as a character and I theorized about his real intentions and was right, so it was a bit disappointing he wasn't in the last book more, but, I do like the way it ended except for the epilogue.
    I teared up at some parts.

10. SugarStash

SugarStash Member

I loved it, but I agree that the epilogue was disappointing, at best. It was so bland and generic, and seemed tacked on, as an afterthought, just to thwart any possible sequel writers. Maybe I'm terrible, but, only one of the deaths really upset me. All in all, I really liked it, and I'm sorry to see the series end...

11. VegOut024

VegOut024 Member

JESUS. IT'S BEEN THREE DAYS. still haven't gotten my hands on a copy. I've never been obsessed with the book, so I don't pre-order them. Can't wait though, I finished re-reading #6 about 10 minutes ago, so I've got to get the new one soon. I've never been a fanatic, but theya re such great books. Never liked the movies though. I mean what is Harry Potter when you take away the imagination. In a movie ehat you see is what you get, but in the book what you see is whatever the hell you what it to be. Anyway, I can't wait to find out who dies and who doesn't, but I hope she doesn't butcher it with some pointless, random, death-fest. My plane is to get it and finish it right before I go on vacation, then have fun their, and if I'm up to it read it again when I get back

12. moonshyne

moonshyne Approved by the FDA

I know what you mean about the movies. I own them all by accident (the first two belong to my sister who never came back for them, P.of A. is a bootleg copy a friend of ours abandoned at our house, and GoF came from Movie Gallery....)

OoTP was such an intense book that I don't wanna see the movie and let it taint the images I've got. with Ootp being such a huge book, I know there's no way in hell they got even half the details right.

13. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

I'm truly not big into Harry Potter, but if you guys want to discuss the book in depth you can make a separate thread here with a spoiler warning, so that the people who have already read the book could truly reflect upon it.

14. Morganna

Morganna Member

I love Harry Potter. My neices love him too.

15. pianoperson60

pianoperson60 Senior Member

amazing books.....thezve menat so much to me... I dont think that the epilogue was that bad, I think you also haveta consdier the function of the epilogue for this book....at the end of the last chapter, everything is wrapped up, the whole story the books themselves have been building on ends, that is, the story of Voldemorts rise and Harrys attempts to thwart him.
    Therefore, the epilogue is just a litlte sidenote almost, letting you know how it all kind of wraps up...I thoguht it was a cute litlte scene....jsut because it was a happy ending (except for all the deaths) doesnt make it automatically bad...I thoguht it was cool seeing Harry finally having what he had missed his entire life: a family. ANd it was cool seeing them all sending their children off on the Hogwarts Express...I thoguht it was a sweet ending. There was no need for it to be more action packed or sad or anything...what else was everyone expecting?

16. IlUvMuSIc

IlUvMuSIc Senior Member

I loved that Snape got his name cleared (but he should of got more credit/recgognition for what he did) as i don't think it was fair - his whole life alone and i didn't like James Potter anyway, He was a jerk - sorta guy who'd laugh at me... Personally i loved this book so much more than the others because i felt that the other books were too revolved around Harry and it was a bit surreal but this one was great. Plus it was real imaginative/clever in the ending and explanations etc.

I think that the end was okay. Don't know why everyone hates it so much but i liked this one the best by far.

Oh yeah, how come ALL the main girls have to be pretty? its not fair...

17. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

Please discuss your impressions of the book and anything else that might contain spoilers in THIS thread.

From now on everyone who posts any spoilers in this thread will be directly reported to Skip or a Supermod with a recommendation for the banning of the user.

18. Morganna

Morganna Member

Who's eye is that in your avitar?