hare krishna

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by sleeping jiva, May 8, 2004.

1. umbra

umbra Member

blah blah blah blah...wake up and smell the coffee, or else someone's gonna be in a caffeine frenzy
    or cold floor

2. Trauma *

Trauma * Member

If Vaikuntha was so great, why did we give it up for this ?

3. Jagadananda

Jagadananda Member

4. Jedi

Jedi Self Banned

hehe thats why lets just chant hare krishna and be happy :) our heaven is Hare krishna mantra.

Hare krishna Hare krishna Krishna Krishna hare hare, Hare rama , Hare rama rama rama hare hare.

5. ChiefCowpie

ChiefCowpie hugs and bugs

why did god make us plain stupid?... wouldn't that make god plain stupid?

6. snake sedrick

snake sedrick Banned

from Frank Zappa:

'let's get serious
    god knows what he's doing
    he wrote this book here
    and in the book it says
    he made us all to be
    just like him.
    So if we are dumb
    then god is dumb
    and maybe even
    a lttle ugly on the side.'

7. umbra

umbra Member

no wonder you are sleeping jeeva...
    WAKE UP WAKE UP, GET UP STAND UP....
    Been there thought that...Hare Krishna has all the hallmarks of religion such as those four regulative principles, which are non other than rules and regulations , a deity/god, priests(pujaris) and what about those governing such as those GBC members?

and yeah, Krishna is so loving, its not blindness that makes people like me see Temples that practice the opposite...love i just love ''love'' through mind numbing audal/aural exercises. hmmmm

Short story
    i went to a Temple (silly little me was just a curious 19 year old) i hugged a woman and went to hug the other two guys there in a harmless bid to just say goodbye, guess what:
    i was categorically admonished using these words ''It is srictly prohibited for girls and men to mix''
    what kind of love is that?

i enjoyed the free food, but had to sew up lots of garlands...and mop floors no thanks i just snapped out of it 2 years later.

peace and love
    people get real

ps;Never under estimate the power of denial.

8. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

your story is all too common in ISKCON.
    West Virginia.

9. Bhaskar

Bhaskar Members

One is blinded by his good experience, the other is blinded by her bad experience.

10. Jagadananda

Jagadananda Member

We all work. Either we work merely for selfish reasons or we can offer some of our work to God. Even in the Bible its says if one does not work he shall not eat. The difference between the devotee and the non-devotee is that the devotee works with the consciousness that this is divine service, while the other works with the consciousness that it is mundane service. You may even offer your secular work to Krsna. Just change the consciousness.

11. Bhaskar

Bhaskar Members

Well said.

12. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

Just some of our work? So what's the other work about then? Surley even if it stems from the most base possible motive, we'd be better off offering it anyway.

The Bible is wrong about 'if you don't work you don't eat' - there are folks born rich who've never done a tap, and they eat more than adequately judging from the epidemic of obesity in western countries.

13. Bhaskar

Bhaskar Members

Bill, the Bible also offers the example of the lillies of the field that toil not, neither do they spin. I think the statement of don't work don't eat was more as a rule for a producitive andh ealthy society. The passage in its entierity bears out as much:

6-9Our orders—backed up by the Master, Jesus—are to refuse to have anything to do with those among you who are lazy and refuse to work the way we taught you. Don't permit them to freeload on the rest. We showed you how to pull your weight when we were with you, so get on with it. We didn't sit around on our hands expecting others to take care of us. In fact, we worked our fingers to the bone, up half the night moonlighting so you wouldn't be burdened with taking care of us. And it wasn't because we didn't have a right to your support; we did. We simply wanted to provide an example of diligence, hoping it would prove contagious. 10-13Don't you remember the rule we had when we lived with you? "If you don't work, you don't eat." And now we're getting reports that a bunch of lazy good-for-nothings are taking advantage of you. This must not be tolerated. We command them to get to work immediately—no excuses, no arguments—and earn their own keep. Friends, don't slack off in doing your duty.

So no, the Bible is not wrong. It's laying out a principle to be followed, not describing the status quo.

and anyway, I am sure the rich who enjoy great wealth in this life earned it through a lot of work/merit in previous lives. Sadly, few truly take advantage of the opportunity. Having all your physical needs taken care of amply is a great blessing, for one is then free to use all the time available for spiritual inquiry and inner evolution. Few people actually do that, sadly enough. Hence perhaps Jesus' statement that it is nearly impossible for a rich man to get into heaven...

14. BlackBillBlake

Trouble is that the same parts of the Bible - I am assuming this is from St. Paul or another of the later parts of the NT, also supports slavery.
    Hence it was seen as ok to lie about all day while slaves do all the work.
    It doesn't say that Christians should not have slaves, or suggest giving them freedom.

Also you have to take into account the fact that under capitalism,which is totally different from the economic system that existed 2,000 years ago, we have mass unemployment problems to which no one has yet managed to find a solution. People have therefore to be given money to live on.
    It's no good to scare them with moral injunctions said to emmanate from a divine source which must just add to the sense of alienation and worthlessness they already experience as a result of their being programmed by the 'work ethic' etc, when they don't have jobs - and given the global recession, it seems many millions more will soon be out of work.

Also, my own opinion is that a great deal of the work which now goes on shouldn't be done at all, as it is simply producing crap we don't really need using up valuable rescources which can never be replaced, and causing severe damage to the natural environment.
    And repetitive, industrial type work has a de-humanizing effect on the workers who have to do it, who of course, only receive a fraction of the value of what they produce anyway.

Most of the wealth in the world is in the hands of people who are entirely materialistic and selfish.

15. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

NO IT ISN'T!!!!!!!

16. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Fascinating. After 9 years, you respond! And somewhat cryptically. Our present age seems to have the characteristics of Kali Yurga predicted in the Mahabhrata, as a Dark Age of strife and discord. So what is it about the statement quoted you disagree with? "Silly" quarrels seems maybe a bit mild to describe the conflicts. Is that your problem with it?

17. BlackBillBlake

It's surprising to see a reply to a thread that's 14 years old....some of the younger members here were only little kids when it began. A lot of those who contributed have left HF long ago.

Anyway - Kali Yuga is certainly held by millions of Hindus to be the age of quarrel, degradation, ignorance and so on. Whether this is an accurate take on the period in which we live is obviously up for debate (seems fairly accurate to me). Whether those quarrels are 'silly' is a subjective opinion I suppose. 'Mostly silly' I'd probably say.

18. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

the hare krisna mantra comes from the kaliasantaropanishad and doesn't predate the written vedas at about 1,200 BC
    Prahupadha stole the upanishad and ritualized in a lackluster manner with no insight or creativity

19. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Any time I've ever gone to Hare Krishna I've had a fabulous time. Dancing and free delicious food!

themnax likes this.
  20. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018