hare krishna

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by sleeping jiva, May 8, 2004.

1. SvgGrdnBeauty

SvgGrdnBeauty only connect

Hmm...I knew it was you when something about Montreal's new Hare Krishna site appeared in my mail box...I saw Montreal...and I was just like...ah...Pedro. :)

Thank you for thinking of me. :)

*peace and love*
    Nicole

2. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

I think that's pretty obvious.

3. Kharakov

Kharakov ShadowSpawn

Oh really?

4. BlackBillBlake

You just seem so uptight sometimes.

5. Kharakov

Kharakov ShadowSpawn

Just because I don't give blowjobs to hobos? I let my rats lick my teeth, although I use listerine afterwords..

6. Kharakov

Kharakov ShadowSpawn

Oooh... I didn't know feeling uptight felt sooooo good!!

7. BlackBillBlake

original or coolmint?

8. Kharakov

Kharakov ShadowSpawn

Green colored equate actually. Equate is the Walmart generic brand. It's some minty variety, other than cool mint (cool mint is blue, that color I keep thinking about using in my comments).

9. gdkumar

gdkumar Member

Hare Krishna!

Wish you all a very merry Christmas and a happy new year.

Love,

Kumar.

10. evil lesbian

evil lesbian Member

mouthwash is mouthwash especially if you don't mind letting rats lick your teeth and blowing hobos

11. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i can do no better then to quote and repeat what is also my own understanding.

hinduism is a religeon. i'm not familiar with the term iskcon. is that an underlying name, title, guiding organization for the westernizing sect being refered to as hare krshna?

the krishna's are cool and harmless, at least the ones i met back in the day were. unlike jw's and laterday morons, if you steepled your hands and sad "nemeste" they would understand that you had heard their basic message and leave you alone or invite you to one of their house feasts, which was where i first discouvered kifer (liquid yogurt) and banana smoothies.

their 'gita as it is' i found less penitrable then more scholarly works on the same subject but the pichers were really cool.

=^^=
    .../\...

12. themnax

themnax Senior Member

this is the first i hear of rats blowing hobos. is this some turn of phrase with which i am unfamiliar. is that like making bubbles when they fart?

i've never had pet rats nor observed them that closely.

this seems more like a random thought then one on phylosophy and belief, i'm a bit unclear as to how this relates to hinduism or any other sort of belief.

=^^=
    .../\...

13. BlackBillBlake

ISKCON = International Society for Krishna Consciousness - the 'hare krishna' movement started in the west by Bhaktivedanta Swami (Prabhupada).
    Harmless? Perhaps more harmless now than in previous decades, when major criminal scandals rocked the organization.
    These days, it's all a bit of a mess.

'Bhagavad Gita as it is' is ok up to a point, but it is somewhat slanted in one direction only - the direction of the Gaudiya Vaishnava school, which represents only one limited aspect of Hinduism as a whole. And actually, only Prabhupada's own understanding of that.
    The pictures and the food are both very nice, as is the music and the chanting of Hare Krishna.

It is important to remember that Gaudiya Vaishnavism is only one line within Hinduism - and others understand the Gita in different ways. The HK movement has no 'monopoly' on Krishna.

14. gdkumar

gdkumar Member

Hare Krishna !

It is harmless as long as ISKCON and other group followers concentrate only on "Krishna" or any other name that represents God and try to derive bliss from repetition of His name(Meditation on His name) in the way of doing japa like "HARE KRISHNA HARE KRISHNA, KRISHNA KRISHNA HARE HARE, HARE RAMA HARE RAMA, RAMA RAMA HARE HARE".

It becomes harmful and it creates endless problems the moment we deviate from this.... when we shift from the subject matter.

Love,

Kumar.

15. BlackBillBlake

And brainwash is brainwash.
    I don't think myself that Kaharakov was being fully serious here.

But actually, listerine is listerine, and copies are not as good.

16. BlackBillBlake

It's just such deviation that's led to the troubles in Iskcon I think. Personality and power trips have interfered, and all sorts of other stuff which seems to be mainly a distraction from being focused on God.

BTW GD Kumar - nice to see you back on the forums :)

17. gdkumar

gdkumar Member

Hare Krishna!

"It is important to remember that Gaudiya Vaishnavism is only one line within Hinduism - and others understand the Gita in different ways. The HK movement has no 'monopoly' on Krishna."
    ..........From BlackBillBlake

When the whole creation is taken as a divine game then the Gita is not outside it. It is that lila which makes everybody understand the Gita in different ways. Even the given meanings are understood in different ways. It is true for all other religious books. When somebody gives some meaning and explanation (Right or wrong) even that we do not understand properly, forget understanding from the main shlokas.

But there is hope that it is not difficult or impossible to understand the right meaning or sense. Only way is to pray and read over and over again, His grace comes and miracle starts, suddenly the most difficult thing becomes most easy and you get a new simple meaning to everything that you knew to be different. You will know that you have now rightly understood because all conflicts in your mind will cease about that particular understanding.

Even Radha made a mistake about 'monopoly' on Krishna and later (After being taught a lesson by Krishna) realized that only true devotees can have monopoly on God. I am sure that even in HK some true devotees were there and are still there. Whoever truly loves Him, gets Him.

Love,

Kumar.

18. BlackBillBlake

There's no doubt that your right there! It's all dependent on our own love and devotion, and our surrender to God. Labeling oneself as x y or z won't help that!
    And there are no doubt good people in ISKCON. However - there are problems too, and divisions.

Here in Britain they're really becoming like a kind of priesthood ministering to the Hindu 'diaspora'. I recently saw a TV documentary which featured a young ISKCON devotee in the UK who wants to become a Bhramana. The programme also showed some footage of a wedding conducted by ISKCON for some obviously quite wealthy Indians. It was all very nice - elaborate ceremony, a multitude of Brahmanas officiating. A lovely couple. And it says something that they were happy to have it done by westerners who have adopted the culture, and not members of the hereditary caste.
    But although I think this is perfectly ok, one has to see too the limitations.
    It's not likely that many in the west will take to becoming 'hindus' in that sense.
    And also, I wonder if this too isn't a digression from Srila Prabhupada's original idea for ISKCON in the west.

19. gdkumar

gdkumar Member

Hare Krishna!

"Here in Britain they're really becoming like a kind of priesthood ministering to the Hindu 'diaspora'. I recently saw a TV documentary which featured a young ISKCON devotee in the UK who wants to become a Bhramana. The programme also showed some footage of a wedding conducted by ISKCON for some obviously quite wealthy Indians. It was all very nice - elaborate ceremony, a multitude of Brahmanas officiating. A lovely couple. And it says something that they were happy to have it done by westerners who have adopted the culture, and not members of the hereditary caste.
    But although I think this is perfectly ok, one has to see too the limitations.
    It's not likely that many in the west will take to becoming 'hindus' in that sense.
    And also, I wonder if this too isn't a digression from Srila Prabhupada's original idea for ISKCON in the west."
    ...............From BlackBillBlake

Dear Bill,

Surely it is a digression from the original purpose and path.

I can clearly remember (Of course from books) what Srila Prabhupada's guruji, Srila Saraswati Siddhanta Maharaj had advised SP to do in the west.
    The purpose was to spread God's name and love to the whole world. If I had understood properly the idea was not at all to highlight Krishna or Hinduism. The idea was not to establish Krishna as a superior God than all the other names. The idea was to tell the world more ways and means to love (If we do not or cannot naturally love) God and how we can see Him.

But alas! Things swiftly changed into a race of establishing supremacy over all other faiths and God loving groups. Even the very identity and quality of a Vaishnav was lost in that race. Humility is the best known quality and
    identity of a Vaishnav. Unfortunately, I am afraid, this was the first thing that was lost in most of the HK devotees. Insolence, looking down upon all others who did/do not follow HK principles to the letters became the order of the HK groups.

Lord Chaitanya was the most proud man before enlightment came to Him but once He took Krishna's name He became the most transformed devotee and avatar with tears of krishna-prem in His eyes for the rest of His life. He was born an avatar, it was just the waiting for the time to come to manifest the Divine-lila to the world through Himself. But we are not Chaitanya and many of us are not having the past samskara, so we or the HK devotees should be more careful in their deeds and behaviours. People from HK group, who have received the blessings and grace, are definitely away from all such things.

I am sorry to all for such criticisms, this is not at all desirable. I pray to the Lord to forgive me. I only hope and pray that people (Bhaktas) look up at the Lord and try to build up the relationship of love and bhakti alone and that is possible only when we extend the same love and bhakti towards all around us in consideration that all are His manifestations. Otherwise, all japa, all chanting and all rituals become fruitless.

Love,

Kumar.

20. Hari

Hari Art thou Art

I'm reading the Bhagavatam.