hare krishna

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by sleeping jiva, May 8, 2004.

1. YogaLady

YogaLady Member

SvgGrdnBeauty,

You are correct in your theory. Jesus was the guru or spiriutal master for all who took (and still take) shelter of him, therefore one who is a guru accepts on their head the sins, or in Vedic terminology, the karma, of their disciple.

"I, Me, Mine" is a great book! Its been a while since I read it, but I remember the positive feelings it gave me.

That place in India, I think you are referring to Vrindavana. Its a very special, and very Holy, place.

Yes, I knew that link had an interview in it with George Harrison. Thats why I posted it there and said it's for you. :) But also, I think there is something in there about John Lennon and Yoko Ono too. Read it when you have the time. Get your rest. <s>

YL

2. sleeping jiva

sleeping jiva Member

Oh Thanks Yoga Lady for the fighting I wasn't capable of doing anymore. Yet I hope that BlackBillBlake will come again, I don't mind his opinions. Please don't feel like unwanted lol. I do appreciate your attempts to challenge us.

The thing is Hare Krishna's cannot be Christian-like, a new trend to lure the Christians from West (as someone put it a while ago in this thread), because Prabhupada was mainly great for his non-compromising. Maybe that's why you find his teachings dogmatic. He was non-compromising in terms of changing the message of Lord Krishna. When you look into his books, you see the original text in sanskrit, word-by-word translation to English, translation itself and then the purport. This was done because many cheaters changed Krishna's words in order to get fame and wealth. You must admit that organized religion is a really good buisness these days. Why? Because people are never gonna be attracted to restrictions. Their senses are so powerful that they feel repulsed by them. If you wanna attract them, just soothe their soul and they're gonna be grateful. But this is merely a prostitution. And in fact that is a dogma -because they're gonna tell you -do this and you'll be forgiven to. The change is performed without you being involved. That is not Hare Krishna.If you want to preserve the original texts, you can't change them for your own benefits, moreover you need to live very strictly and according to instructions of the scriptures themselves, because as I said your senses are too powerful. In this case, yes Prabhupada was dogmatic.
    Just look at the politicians, all they do is creating still new and new laws. But they're not needed! Law is something stable. They're bending the laws in order to have more enjoyment. That's how it works in our society.
    peace to you BBB :)

3. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

I can't see any point in my saying anymore here. I don't accept Prabhupada as the only Vedic authority, I'd even go so far as to say that the whole thing represents a gross distortion of the message of the unanishads and Vedas.

But my real gripe is the unfortunate state of several persons I know who are really victims of the bogus guru thing, which, whatever you say, one so supposedly advanced as Prabhupada should have forseen.

Anyway - thats my last word on this.

4. sleeping jiva

sleeping jiva Member

Ok, but you must admit that you didn't bring any real arguments for saying that except that Prabhupada was wrong and Hare Krishnas are dogmatic. Yoga Lady tried to explain everything in details. Now I must disagree, because you're the one, who doesn't want to discuss. :):)

anyway, I wish you good, thanks for your inputs, I appreciate it.

5. SvgGrdnBeauty

SvgGrdnBeauty only connect

Indeed you are correct. It is quite unfortunete that that is the way that it is...:(

6. YogaLady

YogaLady Member

For the 100th time, we never said he is the only one.

According to YOUR understanding. Am wondering what your qualifications are to know more about the Upanishads and Vedic literatures that surpases the pure devotees on this planet. (Pointing out I used "plural" when I said pure deovtees.) How's your Sanskrit? Because if you can't read sanskrit yourself, you are reading someone's explanation of the Vedas, and they best be pure souls in order to pass it on as it is.

You're putting him in the category of God, not guru. God is all knowing, all forseeing, but not the spiriutal master. Otherwise Jesus would have had a lot more to say! :) The spiriutal master can know more, but He really only knows as much as God wants him to know. Hey, guess its time to blame God now too. (Uh oh, there goes my sarcasm. bad me, bad me! <G>)

I have, and could post right here, document after document where Prabhupada DID take care of all that, and you still would not accept, because its easier to blame him. I have had to ask myself why some devotees I know fell for the new gurus, and while the new gurus are far from innocent, how come not all devotees fell for them? Many of us have discussed this amongst ourselves - how we did not go for it and others did? Certainly I am sorry for your friends suffering, simultaneously they must take some responsibility in the matter. Some people rather be told what to do then think for themselves. Its not that each person who gets into difficulty with "guru's" or anything really, should receive no consequences for what happened to them, for the choices they made to get themselves in the fix they are in. But again, its so much easier to be angry at Prabhupada.

I wish you well BBB. Take care of yourself, tho I'm sure you will.

YL

7. SvgGrdnBeauty

YogaLady...I read some of that website that you sent me the other day...its very uplifting...thank you...I esp. like this:

Mukunda: Some people say that if everyone on the planet chanted Hare Krsna, they wouldn't be able to keep their minds on what they were doing. In other words, if everyone started chanting, some people ask if the whole world wouldn't just grind to a halt. They wonder if people would stop working in factories, for example.
    George: No. Chanting doesn't stop you from being creative or productive. It actually helps you concentrate. I think this would make a great sketch for television: imagine all the workers on the Ford assembly line in Detroit, all of them chanting Hare Krsna Hare Krsna while bolting on the wheels. Now that would be wonderful. It might help out the auto industry, and probably there would be more decent cars too.
    I think partly because I have a story similar...2 weeks ago I took the SATs and I was trying to concentrate before hand and I started to sing "My Sweet Lord" and then it somehow turned into the Hare Krishna Maha Mantra...and I did this for about an hour or so (there was some problems...so we started late) and I have to say that when I took the test I was so much more relaxed and confident than the first time I took it in March...and the part that didn't count was the part I was unsure about ....so I hope that being more relaxed helps my score...
    ...there's just something about it though...it makes me happy :) Its not even my religion...just something that interests me..but the more I find, the happier I am...so maybe it is good for me....no one ever said we were sure on the road to enlightenment...

8. YogaLady

YogaLady Member

SvgGrdnBeauty, So much I want to say but its late and I'm tired! <S> So I'll sum it up as best as I can, cuz I still want to say it.

You are right-on about this. Chanting increases awareness, intelligence, and relaxation, not the other way around. Yup, for me, I'm not surprised you had the experience you did. Happy for ya :) but this is how it works. Its always great too, to hear yet another story of it working like that.

Before I rush off (eye lids fallling shut lol) one quick, similar story would be when George was considering whether or not to continue on with his music or just move in the temple. Something like that. Anyway Prabhupada told him he need not close down the business, but instead to just write songs about Krishna, and because he was doing devotional service by spreading this transcedental sound vibration of the Hare Krishna mantra, his business would soar. And it did! :)

Goonight .... for now.

YL

9. SvgGrdnBeauty

I am indeed glad that he did...most of my favourites of his songs are those that have to do with Krisna :) I hope your sleep is well...and I hope to talk to you when you return :) :)

*Peace and Love*
    Nicole

10. gdkumar

gdkumar Member

Dear all,

Read all the posts of the last few days. It is another perfect example of peripherals becoming more important than the primary objective.

We see the churches and temples, the clergy people, the decorations, the conditions therein, good and bad of all these but we hardly take a good look at the deities for which all of the above come into the existence.

We love God who holds everything,good and bad,together. We never say God has also created these bad things, so, why should we love God? It is the game,the divine game. The game ending on finding the fact that it is He only who has become everything.

Does it matter whether Srila Prabhupad left clear instructions on who should take over after Him? If He did not, does it really make Him anything less?
    The man with vast knowledge and having attained self-realization had really nothing to do with what is happening today. He had given us the message of unconditional love. That was His only purpose. It is only our problem that unfortunately some of us could not take it.
    Does it make Lord Jesus anything less that Himself being the icon of unconditional love He could not convince some people even with His bodily
    presence? Those unfortunate people crucified Him. He did not become less.We still worship Him as God.
    Same thing holds good for Lord Krishna who was killed by an ordinary hunter.

Then why is this comparison and fault finding? Srila Prabhupad had gone to the USA at the age of 70 and died at the age of 75. In this five years He had fulfiled His Guru's(Sri Swaraswati Siddhanta) last wish of spreading the message of unconditional love for which Krishna stands as an icon just like Lord Jesus. To do this in 5 years for a pauper man at that old age needs a super natural power. Yes, we must understand and accept that Srila Prabhupad was an extra-ordinary super human being, a very great Vaishnav saint.

I remember His life story. His Guru once called Him and said, "I wont live long but today I want to tell you why you have come on this earth. You have come just to spread Lord Krishna's message of love to foreign countries. So, try to do it and this is my last wish." Being a poor man Srila Prabhupad did not know how but somehow He wanted to fulfil His Guru's last wish. He was already old,after retiring from bank-service He started a trading business with whatever little money He had.He wanted to make enough money so that He could fulfil His Guru's last wish. In the business everything was lost and He became a pauper. His Guru was still living. One day He went to Sri Swaraswati Siddhanta(His Guru) and told Him crying that He was unfortunate and could not fulfil Guru's last wish. He also said that all money was lost and it was not possible to reach foreign lands. Then Swaraswati Siddhanta maharaj told Him, "As long as you try nothing will happen. Shake off all your ego and surrender at Krishna's lotus feet. It is His job ,He shall take care of everything. You just be the instrument in His hands.Remember the sun may stop rising but my words will not be false, it will all come true. You are born only for this purpose."

Shortly after this His Guru had expired and after many years He went to the USA as a pauper and fulfiled His Guru's last wish. How He reached the USA is another beautiful story.

As regards wrong-doings may I know which religious organization is free of blemish? I am sure all will become quiet. So let us stop all sorts of profanity.
    Let us truly open up our eyes and look up at our beloved God and forget everything else.

It has been too long. Sorry for taking your time.

With love...........Kumar.

11. SvgGrdnBeauty

You are truly right...btw I very much enjoyed this story. :)

12. sleeping jiva

sleeping jiva Member

SvGrdnBeauty: I have a similar story. When I was about to graduate from my high school I woke up ion the morning and I started chanting and stopped after my exams were done. My schoolmates were surprised to see me walking in the halls from one side to another chanting, but I just carried on, even though they mock me. (well, it was not very hard to endure they were just joking). But they stopped when I picked up a question I knew very well to answer and got the highest mark! They wanted the picture of Krishna I was holding in my hands! They were taking it into their hands and turned into crazies. I was laughing and and carried on with chanting, they didn't join me, cuz they thought it was in that picture. I just want to add that I didn't study at all while I was in school. I never did it, because my opinion is that you should learn everything while you're in school. I was listening more.

The point is I didn't do it in order to get a good mark. I was chanting every day on my way to school, but the day of graduation was too much pressure everywhere. Everybody was nervous and it's hard to keep a clear mind, when ev erybody'g oing nuts around you. So I decided to hide behind chanting. hehe. My schoolmates -you should've seen them, they changed their behaviour in few seconds from mockers to eager surrenders!

gdkumar: I welcome you :) it was a long time not to read your post, but your absence in this thread :) You said it all, my friend. God is the only thing we should care about. If you're not conscious of God, you think that the world is good and bad. And then you position yourself in the role of a judge (God), who decides what is good and bad. what more can I say? I'm happy you're back :):)

13. Cloudminerva

Cloudminerva Member

This has been a wonderful thread to read. I just wanted to say that I can really see the kinship and unity between us here and I to in recent times have come to understand the unity of religions. I grew up as a Southern Baptist.This year I studied Hinduism and Buddhism and I truely discovered Jesus and the true message and that all religions lead us to the same almight God. I respect, love , and revere Jesus, Krishna, Buddha, Mohammad, all the aspects of God :) I have learned to see the light within the faiths that all shine together! As was said earlier about love, I love you guys as well.

Ben.

Hallelujah! Hare Krishna! Om Mani Padme Hum! Shalom! Jah Love!

14. SvgGrdnBeauty

That's what happened with me...last time I was so afraid and nervous(because I have a lot of pressure from all sides around me...)...that I blanked...and this time around I was sitting there and trying to calm down and I was trying to think of something that made me happy and then it turned out that I was softly singing the Hare Krishna chant...no one really noticed with me and I didn't know anyone (I was testing at another school) so I don't think anyone cared....
    ...I do like your story...its pretty funny how your friends all jumped for your picture of Krishna...hehe...hey whatever gets their attention...hehe...to bad they didn't start chanting...how cool would that have been, eh?

15. SvgGrdnBeauty

I agree. I myself have grown up Roman Catholic and this thread has really helped me learn more and the wonderful people here have indeed helped me to rediscover God in a new light as well as myself. Hare Krisna! Praise be all his names and welcome Ben! I hope you do stick around...

16. sleeping jiva

sleeping jiva Member

Yeah, welcome Ben! Drop by anytime you want. :):)

haribol!

17. YogaLady

YogaLady Member

I see we have some new faces on this thread. WELCOME!!! :)

SvgGrdnBeauty - Thank you. And yeah, I got my 'beauty' rest. lol Or rather, that which keeps me going. Hey, scroll down and check out what I am gonna put there.

Such a nice thing you said, I had to look up this story and post it here --

A STORY ABOUT GEORGE AND SRILA PRABHUPADA

by Nanda Kumar Das

Hare Krishna Prabhus,

Please accept my humble obeisances. All glories to Srila Prabhupad. All glories to Bhakta George Harrison, who is very dear to His Divine Grace.

I would like to share a story about their connection on one occasion in London. I was traveling with Srila Prabhupad, as well as Syamasundar Das and Pradyumna Das, in 1972 (I have a poor memory for dates. I believe this was the year). Syamasundar was instrumental in connecting George with Srila Prabhupad and our movement and had a lot of association with him. They were close friends.

I was in the secretary's office, which was more like a large closet off of Prabhupad's quarters, typing letters, when a head popped in the door, and in a very British accent, someone said, "Hello, is Syamasundar here?"

I looked over and said that he was out and would be back later. I went back to my typing and then did a double take, as it was George. I got up and went over to him and said that I would tell Prabhupad that he was here.

He said, very humbly, "No, no, I don't want to bother him."

I assured him that it would not be a bother, and I went into Prabhupad's room to tell him that he was there. Prabhupad immediately said, "Oh! Have him come in."

I went back out and told George that he wanted to see him. He was removing his socks and looked over at me and said, "I get so nervous when I am around His Divine Grace."

I told him that I felt the same way. He had just shaved his beard and cut his hair back to a Beatle's style, and he said, "I just got my hair cut to see Prabhupad." He was so humble and unassuming. It was like being around a great devotee. It was being around a great devotee.

He went into the room and closed the door. I could not stay outside, I had to go in and see the exchange. I opened the door, and George was doing full dandavats and offering both prayers to Prabhupad, with perfect pronunciation. Prabhupad had an ear-to-ear smile. George got up and sat back by the door.

Prabhupad said "Come in, come in" and George edged forward towards Prabhupad's desk, very shy and respectful. Prabhupad said "No, here, here" and patted the asana he was sitting on. George came around his desk to the edge of his asana, and Prabhupad reached out and pulled him into his chest, hugging him, laughing, messing up his hair, and saying, "It is so good to see you. How is Patty?"

They had a wonderful conversation, where at one point George asked him if he should move into the temple and shave his head. I believe he would have if Prabhupad had said yes. But Prabhupad said emphatically "No! You have a great gift for the world in your music. Just continue your music and Krishna will be greatly pleased and He will bless you." Then he said "I will give you some ideas for your songs" and he got out Srila Bhaktivinode's Songbook and went over a number of the songs, reciting the translations for George.

It was soon after this that he wrote "My Sweet Lord." George came daily for a week, along with Ravi Shankar, to have Prabhupad's darsan in the afternoon. Ravi Shankar is a Bengali, so he and Prabhupad talked and laughed together as Bengalis.

Of course, Srila Prabhupad's remnants were always a transcendental treasure for all the devotees, and I was blessed to be able to distribute them after His meals. During this week, when I would take the plates away, many of the temple matajis would crowd around, asking "Could I have some of George's remnants, please?"

I have remembered this story so many times over the years, with joy and great respect for Bhakta George. He is truly a humble devotee and a great man. I am currently living on Maui, where George had a home, and the stories from the local people are all good. He spread goodness wherever he went. I am greatly honored to have met him on that occasion, and I send him my love. There is no doubt in my mind about where he is now. I hope to see him again.

Offered to the Vaishnavas with love and respect.

Your servant,
    Nanda Kumar Das

YL

18. gdkumar

gdkumar Member

Dear YogaLady,

That is wonderful ! Story of devotion, simplicity and humility.
    Thank you. Please give more such unique pieces to us, the dry listless souls.
    Let us know what Bhaktiras(Nectar of devotion) is.

Thanks again.

With love........Kumar.

19. SvgGrdnBeauty

Indeed I agree YogaLady...as usual...I very much enjoy your stories :) :)

20. YogaLady

YogaLady Member

Hey thanks everyone. Yah, its true I've collected some cool stuff. Hows this?

Srila Prabhupada letter to Symasundara, L.A., CA, July 15, 1969 --- "I am so glad that Mr. Harrison is composing songs like "Lord which we so long ignored". He is very thoughtful. When we actually meet, I shall be able to give him thoughts about separation from Krishna, and they will be able to compose very attractive songs for public receptions. The public is in need of such songs, and if they are administered through nice agents like the Beatles, it will surely be a great success. In your previous letter you advised me that Mr. Harrison has desired to have me live in the house which they are counting to give us because he has many questions to ask me. I am very much pleased to meet persons who put sincere questions in the matter of Krishna Consciousness. So it will be a great event if the Beatles try to understand this science of Krishna Consciousness with intelligent questions and try to understand it seriously."

Srila Prabhupada letter to Jim Doody, L.A., Ca., 2/8/69
    "Please convey my blessings to the others there. I was so glad to talk with them the other day on the telephone. I enjoyed hearing their voices, and I was happy that they were also very much pleased to hear me. I will be glad to hear if Mr. George Harrison attended the love feast ceremony yesterday as I was informed he would. Please continue to try and understand the essence of this Krishna Consciousness movement, and try to convince others also of its importance."

CONVERSATION ---

David Lawrence: I feel that students need to be able to see that somebody who is God conscious can really, really enjoy life.

Prabhupada: Oh yes. Certainly. That is life. This is not life. Harav abhaktasya kuto mahad-gunah. Life means with high qualities. So one who is not God conscious, they cannot have any good qualities. It is not possible. Harav abhaktasya kuto mahad-gunah. He's simply hovering on the mental plane. Asati dhavato bahih. And he has to come to these non-permanent things, material things. Asati. Asati ma sad gama. The Vedic injunction is, "Don't stick to this asat. Try to come to the sat, eternal." Tamasi ma jyotir gama. These are the... "Don't remain in the darkness. Come to the light."

David Lawrence: That was one track on George's record which really, really got through to our boys, I think. "Light, is it? Light of the World."

Syamasundara: "Light, there is, Light of the World." (?)

David Lawrence: Really...

Prabhupada: So his record has become very successful.

Syamasundara: Number one everywhere. In America.

Prabhupada: Now, even they are appreciating.

David Lawrence: Very successful even with one boy, you see. That's success, isn't it?

Prabhupada: Yes, yes.

Syamasundara: He likes to hear it.

Prabhupada: "I am in material world."

Syamasundara: We get letters from all over the world addressed to George Harrison care of Radha-Krsna Temple London. (laughter) From Poland, from behind the Iron Curtain even. Russia, China, every place, they send.

Prabhupada: And he has mentioned my Bhagavad-gita in my name also.

David Lawrence: Yes.

Prabhupada: In the in...? What is that?

Syamasundara: In the insert, in the record insert.

David Lawrence: Yes. In fact, when they picked up my copy of the Bhagavad-gita As It Is, which was on my desk, two or three boys immediately said, "Ah, that's on the George Harrison L.P."

Prabhupada: He has very intelligently connected.

David Lawrence: Yes, yes. It was there.

Prabhupada: This Krsna consciousness movement with his...

Syamasundara: He doesn't want to do it overtly because they will think he is crazy. So he's doing gradually.

David Lawrence: Very gradually.

Syamasundara: Yes.

Prabhupada: And what is that song, "I am not the same..."?

Syamasundara: Something. "I'm not the same..."

Prabhupada: "I have changed."

David Lawrence: Oh yes. "I've changed."

Syamasundara: "Somehow I'm..."

David Lawrence: "Somehow I've changed."

Syamasundara: Yes. "My friends all criticize me for the change, but I don't care."

Prabhupada: But he's not loser. He's gainer. (laughter) He's gainer. That he can understand. And he's determined. He says, "Even if I am loser, I don't mind."

David Lawrence: If commercial success went, he wouldn't worry.

Prabhupada: Yes.

David Lawrence: Well, I mean these sort of riches is just unfathomable, aren't they?

Prabhupada: Hm. (Break) (end)"

Room Conversation, Srila Prabhupada and David Lawrence in July 1973

:) :)
    YL