Happy D-Day Anniversary!

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Vanilla Gorilla, Jun 5, 2019.

1. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

My grandfather fought in world war 2 and received a purple heart for his trouble. He died in 2005 though. I remember him when world war 2 is on the television. I'm glad we're celebrating D-Day this year. For some reason, when I was younger I thought it was in December. I think I remember about world war 2 in december pearl harbor...

2. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Only the southern half of the country

soulcompromise likes this.
  3. deleted

deleted Visitor

Yay. now let's hand Europe over to the Syrians.

4. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

I had a family member who was among those who landed on D-day: I remember he described having to use the body of a fallen friend to shield him from a spray of bullets, among other horrific things.

It's humbling to think about--he lived for several decades after D-day, but in many ways he sacrificed his life on that day. He never quite recovered from his time in the service, despite the many medals he was awarded and the generous gifts the military discharged him with.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2019
    McFuddy and soulcompromise like this.
  5. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

My Grandpa fought in WWII. I'm not sure exactly what he was doing on D-Day, although I know he went to Europe at some point during the War and he said the stench and sight of dead bodies was horrific. I'm pretty sure he got a Purple heart and I don't know if he was ever officially diagnosed, but he had PTSD.

6. themnax

themnax Senior Member

ah, but if your ancestors were on 'the other side', one can claim them to have been secretly with the resistence.

not a happy happy thing, the day it self, but a major thing that was accomplished at the expense of many lives.
    the risking of life for others, whatever else, is worthy of some considerable honor.

(my dad was on the other front. in the pacific, but was mostly rather far from an actual combat, except for a couple of weeks, as radio op in an aa batalion)

7. themnax

themnax Senior Member

you mean like raygun handed the former soviet union over to the mafia?

8. deleted

deleted Visitor

And now back to our regular program: Russia Russia Russia...

6-eyed shaman likes this.
  9. themnax

themnax Senior Member

which relieves republicans of having to invent non-aligned or some other religion terror cells to excuse themselves and their opposition to anything useful on the grounds of ideological mythology.

and on a more cheerful note, my dad, who was a wwii veteran, died in 1991.

and my own viet nam era co-veterans, (and co-protestors) are now in our 70s and 80s.
    (time happens)

what america's unique contribution to wwii was, is not troups, training or even their equipment, but that our means of production, was beyond the immediate reach of those opposing forces.

if everyone in the world, at the time of that war, had had, what everyone, every place, in the world has today, that advantage would not have existed.

so it would have been a very different war.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019