Happy D-Day Anniversary!

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Vanilla Gorilla, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Unless you are German or Italian of course.

75 yrs ago today, tis like it was only yesterday

2. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

3. Intostuff

Intostuff Members

I hope people never forget what those heroes did.

4. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

5. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

6. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

[​IMG]

President Roosevelts son was the only General to land on the beach that day, survived, but then died of a heart attack one month later, His son Quentin was also in the D-day landings, survived, but then was killed in a plane crash in Hong Kong four years later

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
  7. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

The Italian Axis regime did not participate in this battle, it was German only.

8. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Exactly because Italy surrendered to the allied forces in late 1943 - Then declared war on Germany…lol…

9. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Yep, let Australian and New Zealand troops into Italy to fight and the Aus/NZ crew deemed one the youngest SS divisions to be the most hard fought and best soldiers they'd ever have to fight against for such a small unit and completely undermanned, the Aussies and Kiwis had to retreat.

This is actually an era during the war where you've all read me post about the other foreign nations who volunteered to fight for the Axis. Once Italy had backed out, it gave Mediterranean countries an opportunity to advance as they no longer had to fear a German involvement, instead they decided to fight alongside. So Greek divisions etc. started to arise to help in the southern regions. This was also the time frame where the Arabs and Muslims over south East Europe also started to fight in volunteer recruitment divisions of the SS.

From memory one the stories in Italy with the Australians was something a Panzer support troop group of 3 or 4 men held back an entire Australian platoon. This was their first involvement in having to deal with the Waffen SS, it was these scenarios that gained them the notorious respect from allied nations.

Mind you, SS crews around the Fatherland were much better geared than the counterparts stuck in the East like Division Wiking who we swarmed and trapped. The commanders rounded up the 50,000 soldiers left and declared they would not get out alive, but let us not give in. They fought the mission knowing fully aware they couldn't win, and all of them died. They weren't all German though, being Division Wiking was made up of lot of other volunteer nations also making them one of the least trained and developed. Still, Division Wiking still stands as one of the more predominant forces to fight in the East. Their story starts all the way west in the Netherlands all the way to the east. It was called Division Wiking, from memory, because it included the enlistments from Scandinavian countries. Division Nordland, from memory, did also. Not sure what division the Finns were fighting with though on the Finland border, but I think they did a really good job in the Waffen SS and held back the Ruskis.

That was another example of foreign countries fighting for the Germans. They all knew what the Russians would do when they rallied west. Continued to fight against them well into the 50s.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
  10. hotwater

The 220 year old USS Constitution (old Ironside) will set sail in Boston Harbor to commemorate 75th anniversary of D-Day

[​IMG]

11. Visexual

Visexual Member

How many of us know when Armistice Day is? Well, it's November 11th. It wasn't really celebrated after the second world war. Well, it may not be that long before no one remembers or celebrates D-Day because the new world war will mitigate it's importance. I wonder who'll be celebrating then, the west or the east?

12. hotwater

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It's hard to believe but soon there won’t be any WWII Veterans still alive

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    soulcompromise likes this.
  13. hotwater

The next celebration on the docket will be Boston’s Straight Pride Parade on August 31st for straight men who claim their the oppressed minority , when in reality
    they’re members of a far-right pro-trump organization with a penchant for anti-Semitic and racist rhetoric. ~ sigh ~

14. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

But their courage and spirit live in on their offspring. :)

15. hotwater

Lebensborn? …lol…

Sorry, just couldn't resist. [​IMG]

16. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

It's cool. I've had near 10 years worth of classic comments for you but I choose not to post them at ya.

17. Meliai

Meliai Banned

My mom sent me these photos today, figured I would share them here

This is my grandfather during WWII

FB_IMG_1559842376766.jpg

And this is a piece of a map someone made him, showing his journey through Europe after he landed on Utah Beach on DDay.

FB_IMG_1559842383198.jpg

lode, hotwater, Tyrsonswood and 4 others like this.
  18. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Yes, the average german and italian citizen hated/hates the gigantic effort of the allied forces that set them free again :rolleyes:

19. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Almost as handsome as a youthful uncle Joe!

20. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Just as kind too :p
    (He was kind of a dick. Bless him)

Asmodean likes this.