Happy 2005

Discussion in 'Europe' started by migle, Dec 29, 2004.

1. migle

migle Senior Member

HAPPY NEW YEAR

Here in Spain, we have the tradition of eating 12 grapes each one with each peal or ring of the bell (almost always with the big bell situated at the centre of Madrid), so tell which other traditions you have in your countries.

Hugs and kisses for all and all the best for the new year.

2. KozmicBlue

KozmicBlue Senior Member

The only tradition that comes to mind is that in Finland we melt these little horseshoes and when they turn into liquid, we throw them into a bucket full of cold water where the liquid becomes firm again and then we try to predict the future from the new shapes the old horseshoe has taken. Ugh... that was difficult to explain in English... :D Anyhoo... is this just a Finnish tradition or do people do that in other countries as well?

Every New Year's Eve many cities all over the country have arranged their own fireworks, but this year will be different. Most of these cities have cancelled the firework parties and instead, they will donate the money to the Red Cross (and to other organisations) to be sent to Asia to help the victims of the tsunamis.

3. wolf_at_door

wolf_at_door Senior Member

This newyear eve, I was invited by two of my friends to a company I don't know very well. One of the guys in my company started to fight with a close friend to the host. So the host threw out me and my two friends, of rational reasons that I understand, since the two fighting cocks was almost tearing her appartment apart.
    But I just don't understand why she had to scream into my ear and humiliate me in front of people that I don't know, that I "better fuck off RIGHT NOW!!!". All evening I was polite and social to her friends, and then she humiliate me. I respect her decision throwing us out, but I'll never forgive her to bitch me and my friends in such a bad manner. Her manners was so low. I hope I will never see her again, and if, I hope that she'll stay away from me.

...violence & narcisism. Just another ordinary (&traditional) newyears eve. One guy had his two front-tooth beaten out, and all the girls began to cry, generating even more fear and panic.
    ...And that's why I wanna move out in the swedish forests. I simply want to start up some social circle with a few people (or many). -But I've had enough of living a social urban life.

love,
    noose.

4. KozmicBlue

KozmicBlue Senior Member

Awww, I'm sorry you had such a crappy night, Noose. :( Lets hope the year 2005 will be loads better for you! :)

Happy thoughts,
    -Johanna

5. wolf_at_door

Well, yes & thanks, KozmicBlue. Maybe I'm a little superstitious, but I think it's not good when the first day of 2005 starts with violence and a social curse. I'm still quite chocked. :(

...happy newyear! :)

6. migle

migle Senior Member

Well, if i were superstitious i wouldn't know what to think because i can't remember almost anything from the whole new year's eve :S
    Champagne has such terrible effects over my memory, anyway, the facts you talk about wolf, i don't think you must give it any value (shit my english is getting worse this year :p) i mean, maybe she screamed at (¿?) you because you were the most polite of the 3 guys and she thought it was easier to scream at you because you weren't going to make another scene, people usually goes against who they think is weaker, and obviously she didn't think you are simply better mannered.
    Just don't give a shit for it and don't let it ruin the beginning of this new year.

Hugs and kisses

7. didge

didge Member

hehe the only tradition i know here--- is to get extremely drunk and run out on the streets :)

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!

8. moominmamma

moominmamma Member

Happy New Year to you all........hugs to you Wolf.....don't think myself that the way your New Years Eve goes has any relation to whether it's going to be a happy year or not.
    As Migle has said I expect your host just focussed on the polite member of the party ( you:) ) and vented her rage in a safe place!
    The only English New Year tradition that I can think of is gathering in Trafalgar Square , London and dancing in the fountain in freezing cold weather! But since I don't live near there and the idea of big drunken crowds doesn't really appeal ( yes I am old!) I just stayed in quietly with my family:)

9. Spacer

Spacer 'Enlighten yourself'

Didge hit the nail on the head with the Irish tradition, drunkiness! :D

10. didge

didge Member

did ya have fun Spacer?
    hehe, i got plenty drunk so i did!

11. Spacer

Twasn't to bad, completely fooked though now from a whole Christmas of boozing, been drinking water and pineapple juice yesterdat and today trying to detox. Did Santy come?? I got socks, jocks and a lynx set, oh the joys!! :p

12. migle

migle Senior Member

my problem is that i have serious problems to remember all i did during that night, but yes running out the streets of Madrid, yesterday i was hearing all the stupid things i did and i can't remember, but i think they invented some of the story, because i can't see myself laying on the street being so cold outside and running against a police wagon screaming at them :S weird, real weird.

13. Spacer

lol, I hate when I wake up with a hangover and can not remember half of the night, it is so annoying!!

14. wolf_at_door

Thanks migle - and happy newyear! :)
    yeah, funny you mention it! I've been thinking the same thought. -And I've also reconsidered my relation to her: if she say sorry next time I meet her in town, I'll erase all my bitterness immediately. But if she keep on bitching me or simply ignore me, (despite I supported her) just because I arrived with "the wrong company" I think I can count her off as a good new acquaintance for the future. -And that's a shame, cuz in fact she's a really warm person. I think she's just a bit unbalanced, just like myself and anybody else I know.

-haha. your english is not getting worse - it's getting better, man! Don't bitch yourself!! :)

15. wolf_at_door

You better prepare what to say in defend, when you realize that you actually did it! (if you did it!) :p

But, well, champagne do terrible things, indeed. Usually I only drink things that can be brewed (I know champagne is also brewed, but it's just an association:p)- I don't drink liqueaur and spirits anylonger. I don't like to get drunk that way anylonger - the alcohol goes so immediately into the blood, that it's like to be compared with shooting heroin. It's not good for the body. It's better to drink a little redwine and a couple of beers, among friends when possible, and smoke a joint.

love,
    noose. :)

16. wolf_at_door

...and hugs to you, moominmamma. -and thanks. :)

17. migle

migle Senior Member

Oh!! I forgot this thread, and now i read the last posts, thanks wolf for all the nice things you always say to everybody.
    But i was wondering, what happened with that girl and you? Did you repair the situation? Did you talk about it?
    And yes, i'm thinking about give up drinking so much, i think like you, i love wine and beer... and joints :) so why to get so drunk and loose control?