Hangover Helper

Discussion in 'Drinks' started by cerridwen, Apr 13, 2007.

1. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

It's been said that after a long night of drinking, to avoid a hangover the next day, to make sure you have a big glass of water before going to bed because alcohol dehydrates you. This does help, so I opt for that first before anything. Keep in mind that caffeine dehydrates you too, so if you find yourself with a hangover, having a mug of coffee in the morning may not be the best thing to do.

What's ideal, for breakfast the next morning, is to eat plenty of fruit and DRINK JUICE, because not only does it rehydrate you, it gives your body the sugar and some nutrients it needs to recover.

So, in past hangovers that I and my friends have had, I've made a super-juice drink that wonderfully makes an awesome breakfast and replenishes you, and have had it nickenamed 'Hangover Helper'. You'll need a blender for this, so it's best to have someone use it who isn't with a terrible headache:

In a blender, mix together: juice & pulp from 1 orange, 1 grapefruit, 1 lemon or lime, 1 nectarine or peach, 1 tsp sugar and 1 large carrot or banana. Puree the crap out if it. This is great for 2 people. Add other citrusy fruits like mandarines or tangerines, some pineapple, and a pear or two if you have 'em. The more fruit the better. A minimum serving of 8oz is ideal.

2. hailtothekingbaby

hailtothekingbaby Yowzers!

Sounds yummy! I don't have a blender but I'll remember to eat fruit and/or drink juice next time I drink too much. Thanks for the tip! :)

3. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Member

ye always drink fruit juice when ur rilly hung over. it helps alot.

4. warmhandedcanadian

warmhandedcanadian shit storm chaser

that sounds yummy... I find tomato juice to be great for hangovers too

5. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

tomato juice is good :) actually anything pulpy, apparently is great, because that not only is a fruit juice, which gives you some sugars and nutrients (which are good) and liquid (to rehydrate you) but also it gives something for your stomach to digest, and helps get some of that alcohol out of your system. So I've heard :) So, it's all good.

6. Fluffernutter

Fluffernutter Member

you fucking want me to use a blender while hungover?

evrybody knows a greasy breakfast makes it better. especially if it is mcdonalds food. i understand the fruit thing on hangover day but you need salt

you need to purge the alcohol out of your system...you wont remember when you go to bed but when you wake up make a point of breathing with your mouth rather than nose. if you are in a safe place and remember this breathing thing then sleep with your mouth open.

oh yeah. cayenne helps rush anything through.

7. don n0odle

don n0odle Member

ill have to remember this.

btw anyone ever try a prairie oyster?

8. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

I suppose not ;) but if you know someone who's nice, they can make it for you. Otherwise just have a glass of fruit juice I suppose. But it's a good smoothie nonetheless.

If anything, actually, salt dehydrates you, just like alcohol does, which is mainly why you're hung over. So as much as a McBreakfast may taste good, it actually doesn't help other than put cholesterol in your stomach. It's just like the myth of having coffee that sobers you up after drinking - it doesn't, it just adds being wired to being drunk. And caffeine dehydrates you too.

What you actually want to either to avoid a hangover or when you're suffering from one, is to hydrate yourself. Water and juice are honestly the best things you can take to cure/avoid it.

I've never heard of that before... although I must agree that depending on how drunk you are, remembering to breath with your mouth rather than nose may be unlikely ;)

9. dreadlockswampy

dreadlockswampy Swampmiester

What you want is drinks with vitamin C in it, as this helps the liver to process the alcohol quicker and also hydrates you. McShit breakfasts will actually dehydrate you as well as they're full of salt specially the burgers n fries

A good pint of pure orange juice does the trick and a good hardy cooked breakfast to soak up any alcohol left over

10. sdng

sdng Member

when i'm hungover i don't want fruit.. i want meat. all you need is a good multi-vitamin & a good b-complex.. for all of you that don't know (the b vitamin thiamin is very necessary to reduce damage to the brain when drinking excessively). I was given this insight by an old college psychology proffessor who loved to drink.

11. duckandmiss

duckandmiss Pastafarian

I def. wake up and drink a huge glass of OJ or water with an aspirin and go back to sleep for an hour... never fails..

12. forrealz

forrealz Banned

A good way to minimize a hangover is to drink a little less.But if you must over do it, drink some gatorade or lucozade ,they really help.

13. xexon

xexon Destroyer Of Worlds

The only known cure for a hangover is regret.

x

14. PoBoui Dichod

PoBoui Dichod Guest

Fruit juice helps a lot also because your body loses potassium and other water soluable vitamins when you are drunk. You drink, you pee you dehydrate and lose these vitamins. water= headaches, Potassium= muscle aches, vitamin c = ugghhh, and ets. fruit juice is awsome. If you don't have it get some serious supplements and gallon of water, or an IV bag of saline.

15. Katie89

Katie89 Senior Member

Before I start drinking at night i will have a bagle or any bread, it seems to help for the next morning. I drink a large glass of OJ and eat a peanut and butter sandwich... when i get up in the morning.

16. Violent_Ged

Violent_Ged Member

peanut and butter? sounds crunchy lol

tarbender i need adrother nink

17. Violent_Ged

Violent_Ged Member

oh, and i hear a good ol bud light in the morning works pretty well. or a beautiful shot of vodka lol. ill never turn down my good old buddy weiser, he makes me wiser.

18. altismynorm

altismynorm Member

My hangover cure is:

A ton of Gatorade the next day followed by a light beer. It works, trust me.

19. altismynorm

altismynorm Member

I'v tried this one and it works for me usually.

20. MaccaByrd

MaccaByrd Member

Well... It's true. There is no real cure for a hangover.