Hand Sanitizers

Discussion in 'You Are What You Eat!' started by HorseDocGurl, Feb 21, 2010.

1. HorseDocGurl

HorseDocGurl Member

This isn't really a food issue, but I think it fits under health. As someone who worked in some pretty dirty conditions as a large animal vet, I am really worried about the ramped up use of hand sanitizers and the less visible campaign to introduce quaternary ammonium compounds into more consumer products. These are basically that nasty smelling cleaner that only the school janitor had dispersed in a hand lotion.

First of all, these compounds loosely fall under the umbrella of biocides. Look at the Latin. They kill life. They problem is when we use these is they only kill bugs we know how to kill. And what's left? The ones we don't and all of the food. And then we wonder why people get sick.

On the other hand, if you use and enzymatic cleaner, it interrupts the food chain. And death is an equal opportunity for all bacteria. Good ones, Bad ones. Ones we don't know about yet.

So when it is time to clean up, soap and water goes a long way. Maybe a touch of bleach. And enzymes.

2. Logan 5

Logan 5 Confessed gynephile Lifetime Supporter

I just use soap & water. No reason to kill anything that can be removed.

3. deleted

deleted Visitor

ok..I worked in a hospital, and the biocides didnt help prevent the 3 staph infections I got while working there..

I work in filthy warehouse, greasy, manly, before than another warehouse, have not had a single case of staph since..

4. greenslime

greenslime Guest

I don't use that stuff either. I try to avoid good that are laden with chemicals, I really do TRY to avoid them. I shop at my local health food shops when my budget allows it.

5. DezDino

DezDino Member

All cleaners in most regards are biocides. Around the house, to clean anything and everything, from counter tops to walls and bathtubs, ceiling fans, etc., I use a solution of 1 part water, 1 part vinegar, and lemon juice. It's an all natural, lovely smelling, mold killer, bacteria killer, and it cleans really well. Even that old moldy shower curtain! I actually use straight vinegar and lemon for that one. Wipe the whole thing down with the vinegar, set in the sun for a couple hours, rinse it off, and it's like new again! For clothes, I use baking soda with a splash of vinegar because I hang dry and vinegar keeps them from getting stiff. I haven't used chemicals in my hair since June and it's healthier, longer, shinier, and thicker than ever. I simply massage my scalp under running water with my fingertips which breaks the oil pockets that accumulate on the scalp, and when I get out of the shower I brush my natural oils from root to tip. For body soap and dishes I use Dr. Bronner's castile soap - an all natural, very effective cleaner. For tooth paste, baking soda again. It whitens, cleans, disinfects. For the oven, baking soda. It's abbrasive so it gets off crappy stuck on goop. That's pretty much it. Baking soda, lemon, vinegar, and Dr. Bronner's. They're cheaper than any other cleaning products, easy to use, and easy to travel with!

6. OhSoDreadful

OhSoDreadful Childish Idealist

I heard schools were already removing their hand sanitizers because they fuck kids out of their immune system development :2thumbsup:

7. hahaha04

hahaha04 Whatevers Clever

^correct. my little brother just started going to the same high school that i graduated from a year ago, when i was there they just started installing these new 'purell' hand sanitizer machines in EVERY class room. Over thanksgiving break when i came home from Uni, my brother told me that they had started removing a lot of them already because of the issues with people overusing them and fucking up their immune system.

8. Psilo_Cybin

Psilo_Cybin Member

Sounds reasonable