Hand Pollinating

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by MySwt1, May 23, 2004.

1. MySwt1

MySwt1 Member

hey now~~

I have a question fr all of you gardeners out there...i haven't seen any bees yet in the garden, and we have all kinds of flowers on the veggies...should i hand pollinate? have any of you ever done it? and what do i use to transfer pollen...i was so excited that our garden was all flowering, but there's no bees :(
    any idea's? thanks!

~Peace~

2. backtothelab

backtothelab Senior Member

They are probably being pollinated, just you don't see any of them. You can hand pollinate if you feel you really need to, jus' be gentle

3. poor_old_dad

poor_old_dad Senior Member

Depends on what you're growing. Tomatoes, beans and peppers will self pollinate. Most herbs and leafy vegtables (lettuce, cabbage) pollinators don't matter. But some things (corn, cucumbers, squash, and some fruit trees) need help. There are many insects (plus wind and hummingbirds) that are pollinators, but none are as good as the good old honey bee. Problem is that wild and domestic populations of bees have almost been wiped out due to mites and other problems. For hand pollinating info try:
    http://tomclothier.hort.net/seedsav5.html or
    http://www.rachelssupply.com/gourdpol.htm or http://tomclothier.hort.net/seedsav5.html

4. Erin

Erin Member

it's not just the bees its all sorts of different insects that help with pollination, and the wind and the rain, i have only had to hand pollinate with squashes, and melons.

5. MySwt1

MySwt1 Member

yeah, we have zuchini, as well as yellow squash, cucumbers, and watermelons...those were what i was mainly worried with...i know that beans and tomatoes were self pollinators, and corn was wind pollinated...good to know about the peppers...i think that covers most of what we're growing :) thanks for all the help everyone!! many hugs!

~Peace~

6. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

you could look into attracting blue orchard bees. i've seen some really pretty looking bee houses for sale at the farmers' markets around here for the blue orchard bees. i guess if you put out a nesting box, the bees will come. :)

7. meangreen

meangreen Senior Member

Hand pollination is done by collecting pollen from male stamen flowers and simply applying to the female pistals with a quetip.As easy as that!You should really not worry as most species of plants self pollinate and do not require wind or a carrier as means of pollination!