Half-sleeping boring class amusement...

Discussion in 'Mind Games' started by jirachi_pt, May 17, 2007.

1. jirachi_pt

jirachi_pt Member

When I'm tired, and pretty sure I won't miss anything important, I tend to drift off in class. I'll be in a state that's between sleep and awake, so I'll hear if someone calls my name, by my mind will produce the weirdest/surreal situations, that I can see, like a shallow dream. I can never remember them after they finish, so, in order to preserve a few, I woke myself up in the middle of a couple today to write 'em down. Here goes...

The only thing I remember about the first is going to a party with a few friends in an old apartment building, and as I'm climbing the stairs I hear the bass thumping... We get to a door, with a small sticker of a famous singer beside it...

The second involved Allen Ginsberg in a modern presidential debate. He kept confusing and one-upping the other candidates. He was neither democrat or republican, and the way he stated his points reminded me of the video on YouTube of him reading 'Hum Bom'. Also reminded me of Mike Gravel.

Anyone else purposely half-sleep in school (or wherever) for entertainment?
    I live off of this self induced mind craziness--it's free, and goes as far as your own (sometimes subconsious) creativity.

2. gib_0101

gib_0101 Member

I've never done that, but it sounds really cool.

So it's not a full blown dream but I take it it's more than just a day dream, am I right? How easily can you bring one on? Can you do it on the spot or does it take some time and effort?

3. l-foote

l-foote L not i.

i used to do it all the time, but sometimes i'd flat out fall asleep. then i'd awake with a HUGE jerk, once it knocked my desk over.

but i know what you're talking about, it's kinda like watching a movie in your head where anything is possible and DOES happen. theres a name for it. i'm really bad for it, when i'm bored i can just close my eyes and amuse myself.

4. jirachi_pt

jirachi_pt Member

Yeah yeah!, l-foote knows what I'm talking about...
    I think I'm almost able to control the ocassional jerk; I'll catch myself waking up just before I open my eyes, so sometimes that helps. Do you ever remember yours?

And it's not exactly like a daydream, because you can't control it as much, but it's less than a dream because there's still a connection to the real world, and sometimes the two mix. For instance, a sound from the real world may influence or become part of the 'movie'.

I can usually only do it if I'm really tired, particularly if I'm tired because of boredom.

5. PLURx3

PLURx3 Member

Yes yes yes yes! I do this all the time but not normally like, in class, usually in bed before I go to sleep like you said if im just completely wiped out. Its so odd, its almost like being in two worlds or literally dreaming when you are awake. Not daydreaming, actual dreaming but the world is still going on around you and you can hear everything being said. And I get weird images too. Pointless things you wouldnt even think of picturing in a daydream. I can never remember them really either. Its really cool and surreal though, Im glad im not the only one who does this.

6. l-foote

l-foote L not i.

it's the point where your body is asleep and your mind is still awake. depending on how deep you are into this stage will determine whether you can catch yourself before you wake up or not.