Hair

Discussion in 'Performing Arts' started by earthmuffin, May 11, 2004.

1. earthmuffin

earthmuffin Member

anyone ever seen the musical HAIR? Whether it be on video, or the real live broadway performance? I think it's brilliant! Anything to add?

2. MushroomDreams

MushroomDreams Senior Member

I saw it when it first came to Hollywood. It was topical and edgy back then. I don’t know if it holds up in today’s world. Maybe it needs to be rewritten for the Iraq war.

3. givepeaceachance

givepeaceachance Member

:p Hair is one of the greatest musicals of all time!!!! WOOHOO

4. Lindiglo

Lindiglo Member

I don't think it needs to be rewritten. It's still perfectly relevant, and most of the issues in the play are still issues. It doesn't need to be updated--it's been described as a period piece. It's very sixties and very fab. A new rock musical oughta be written for the current situation.

5. Jennyflower

Jennyflower Member

ive only heard the soundtrack, but my mums seen it, its her dream to direct it one day.

6. Jennyflower

Jennyflower Member

did you include the nakedness scene?

7. scarlettchasingroses

scarlettchasingroses strawberry tart

the local summer theater is putting it on this year....i'm so excited to be able to go see it....

8. people_lovr

people_lovr Member

"Good morning starshine. The earth says hello"
    I always want to use that line, but i feel like noone will know what i'm talking about.
    I saw the musical when i was in 9th grade and at the end when they were singing Aquarius/Let the Sun Shine we took our shoes off and ran up on the stage and starting singing with them. Then like the whole audience followed. The whole cast thanked us afterword. It was awesome! There were hundreds of people onstage.
    Thank god for my crazy friend who dragged us all up there.
    So Fun :)
    i used to want to perform it in High School, but my teachers weren't going for it, even without the nude scene. Too controversial still i suppose :confused:
    PEACE YA'LL

9. feministhippy

feministhippy Member

I love Hair. It has an awsome soundtrack. They made a movie, which has nothing to do with the play except for the music, but I still thought was a good movie. The play is pretty weird and abstract, but I like that kind of thing.

10. deezee

deezee Member

here's my own story about HAIR

when i was about 15 i decided to stop trying to straighten my hair. it was the 60's and if you didn't have stick straight hair you were dead meat. no one was "allowed" the freedom of frizzy hair and mine took over the planet on humid days. it was before african americans started wearing afros for the most part so when i decided to let my hair do whatever it wanted to do i was the object of much scorn and lots of stares. this was in nyc too, where people were supposed to be so much more hip. of course, it didn't help that i was 5' 10" already and with my waist length hair standing almost straight up was closer to 6' 3".

so to make a long story short i am walking down 8th street and this guy taps me on the shoulder and says" i am putting on a show and i want you to be a prop. all you'd have to do is stand on stage through the show". needless to say even at 15 i thought i knew it all and having seen some crazy people in my lifetime i thought that this guy was certifiable. he didn't look homeless but who knew what he was. i probably told him to drop dead or get lost. i had that wise-ass attitude at that age and probably still do to a certain extent. he followed me for blocks trying to convince me that he was legit. i wasn't buying.

so what happens is that not long after that HAIR opens at the new york shakespeare festival at the public theater on lafayette street..... about 5 blocks from my house....... for a 2 week limited run engagement. i find out that the guy turns out to have been on the level. for years, no one believed this story (though i did tell my friends at the time) until the internet came along. one day, i did a search on HAIR and some who worked on it originally had posted that michael butler used to approach people with amazing hair on the street to be in his production.

missed my 15 minutes of fame, i guess. but i did get to see the original show on broadway about 12 times and loved every second of it...stage prop or not.

here's one of the pages from the original booklet.
    [​IMG]

deezee

11. Claire

Claire Senior Member

i love it!!!

i bought a copy of the album from a charity shop and it had an old booklet from one original run at leeds uk

love learning and freedom clairexxx

12. Nathan11

Nathan11 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

i am going to have to get my friend maya to come in here and rant about her playing in Hair, her local hangout club did a performance of it, and she was in it

13. Manolao

Manolao Member

I du not think either that it has to be rewritten... it is absolute wonderful and always actual...

it changes the war.. but human being is always the same beast... :confused:

14. Manolao

Manolao Member

ehm... what do u mean by "I was in HAIR"... the broadway musical was when you were still not on this earth (as well as me..) and the same is valid for the Milos Forman's movie... uhm...

do u mena another HAIR cast? :)

15. Manolao

Manolao Member

yep!! reading all the thread I understood it better!!! cool!!

I really love that musical!!!

16. feministhippy

feministhippy Member

How do you censor Hair? Doesn't that defeat the whole point of the play?

17. samson

samson Hepcat

i saw HAIR when it toured with the authors playing the leads. I have friends who were in the cast of that LA production, and it seems to be one of the more mentioned tribes among former players.
    Seeing a live performance isnt like the movie at all, its a general consensus that the movie didnt do the show justice. Even Rado and Ragne were down on it after its release.
    The nude scene is always optional, and sometimes omitted. It has little or no bearing on the play, and even when its done its over so fast you never really know. The music and the story are more than enough to make it worthwhile to check out.
    Its always a good day to see HAIR, call a theatre and let them know you would like to see it. Most are truely clueless as to what people want to see, and need the help. Talk of a new national touring tribe has been ongoing for some time, and just needs support to get going.

folding the flag is taking care of the nation...