HAHAHAHAHHA Robert Jordan!!!!!

Discussion in 'Books' started by crummyrummy, Aug 16, 2005.

1. crummyrummy

crummyrummy Brew Your Own Beer Lifetime Supporter

His 11th in the "Wheel of Time" series is due out October 11. I am sooooooo jazzed. I even preordered it so it will get sent out to the ship while I am over seas!!!!

I lost most my first editions of the rest of this series...just have books 9 and 10. I left the others with my best friend when I Joined the Navy, and he died Nov. of 2003, I doubt I will ever see the books again.....

2. I_got_life

I_got_life Member

I read only the prelude, but I liked it

3. crummyrummy

heh..I havent actually read that yet...just started it after I ordered book 11...I have had it since it came out though...kinda forgot about it....

4. luvndrumn

luvndrumn Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I dug into 1 through 8 with a passion. Number 9 was still good but he really isn't advancing the plot much (I mean, how many books is he going to write with Faile being prisoner of the Aile, fercrissake?). I really don't need a full chapter devoted to describing the dress Elayne Traikand is wearing! And now he's written a book that predates the dragon being reborn! Ima wait until he a) says he's finished, or b) croaks. Then I'll gather all the books and not sleep for a couple of months.

Note: Just went to the TOR site and read the bit on #11, Knife Of Dreams - it's the second to last. Dark times acomin'.
    [​IMG]

5. crummyrummy

yeah it was supposed to be ten, and about 8 they told him to make it longer...you can tell. I mean it was getting to a climax, threads were coming together, and then it all exploded again.

6. luvndrumn

Well, there's enough of a gap between New Spring: The Novel and The Eye Of The World for another book. Don't know if he'll do it and, truth be told, don't know how much it would add to the tale.

Tangent: Is that your new tat? Sah-wheat!

7. that has been my stance since I finished reading 6, I read all of them in a month through ten and I really hate the whole meanwhile bullshit, S.O.B. should have done a lot of shit a lot sooner, you don't say you are going to do something in book six and then have 4 books all as lead up to one fairly anti climactic action (not going into action because of spoilage)

then that whole prequel bullshit...... he should have finished the series before he went back, I don't give a shit about al'Lan Mandragoran and his keeper......

8. crummyrummy

so you gonna read 11 or not

9. luvndrumn

C'mon, quest, tell us how ya really feel.:X:p;)

10. 300 pages of trudging through snow with our bitchy amerlyn and the "badass" dragon

I'm sorry, mat is cooler

the gallows god......

so oden....

edit:I'm going to re read them agter I read anansi boys then I'm reading 11, if it isn't better than ten I'm burning 8-9-10 and selling 11

then I'll go out and get all of neil gaimans books except for stardust....

11. luvndrumn

~threadjack in progress~

Have you read any R. A. Salvatore or L. E. Modesitt, Jr.? They'll make ya stay up all night. And there are sooooo many books, too.

~end of threadjack~

12. ~threadjack in progress~
    read some modesitt, doesn't fit my sick obsession with continuity, his universe feels like it needs continuity but he doesn't really deliver from what I've seen, I'm okay with an absence of continuity in universes where continuity would be farsical to expect like discworld, but in serious fantasy I expect it, it's a trekkie thing I guess, even though they had awful continuity themselves they tried
    ~end of threadjack~

13. crummyrummy

Yup just got it.

14. Either of you played the WoT game?

it's unreal engine, it's not spectacular in terms of gameplay, but it has some fun easter eggs

15. crummyrummy

I read a bunch of the recluce books. I think I read em all at the time I finisherd at least...never read salvatore, but it has been reccomended, I got one of his stashed on the ship, to be read underway....

16. luvndrumn

Don't understand. Are you referring to his slightly disconcerting way of moving fore and aft chronologically in the Recluse storyline? It does take a bit of getting used to. His other series are straight in line, though.

rummy, that is some niiiiice detail.

17. crummyrummy

wow, there are 13 recluce books!!!!! I think I read 5 or 6!!!!!

18. luvndrumn

Unless you're out for a weekend, ya better get more.;) Here's his website so you can get a feel for the chronology: R. A.'s books

19. crummyrummy

Oh, I got 8 books on the ship, and 4 more I picked up here. There is a library on the ship, where you can trade in your paperbacks for different paperbacks...at least until close to getting home...then they have too amny and tell ya to keep'em.

20. I was just getting characters changing intention and motivation a little bit

it wasn't terrible, but it was enough to make me uncomfortable with them, I might try reading them again, but with so many books in the world why deal with things that are even slightly offputting at a given moment

I just started dune and and it's lookin' good