Habits/thinsg you do while reading

Discussion in 'Books' started by We_All_Shine_On, May 14, 2004.

1. Hippy_Smurf

Hippy_Smurf Member

I can't seem to read properly unless I have a cup of tea...which is a problem when I'm reading for a long time and keep having to go make another cup/go pee...

I always have to read the the end of the paragraph before I stop, but I guess that's pretty normal because it's one of those things that just needs doing.

Even when I'm at school I tend to curl up into a foetal position when I'm reading. It's comforting!

2. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

i usually just twist and turn a lot.

sometimes i do this thing where i lay my head down to the left or right evertime i go to switch pages

3. lace_and_feet

lace_and_feet Super Member

Run my fingers over the hairs near my cowlick, trying to find the coarsest hairs. When I find one, I'll keep running my fingers over it. It's somehow a very satisfying feeling. I'll stop by either just moving onto another hair or pulling the hair out. My mind wanders too, which is very annoying. But it mainly happens when I'm reading my horribly biased, naively-written history textbook.

4. We_All_Shine_On

We_All_Shine_On Senior Member

lol I feel bad for damaging the book:(

some of you have like.. odd things happenin...

5. antithesis

antithesis Hello

I mouth the words while I read and I also play with my hair. Back when my hair was long I would chew on it. I also bend the corners of the book while reading, although if it isn't my book I restrain myself.

6. Sugar Magnolia

Sugar Magnolia Member

i always get a song stuck in my head and start singing it then realize i didn't pay attention to whatever i was reading for however long i was singing the song. so i have to go back and read it again while paying attention this time.

7. PAPOOSES

PAPOOSES Member

Well, the only time my toddler lets me read is when she's nursing {LOL} or after she's fallen asleep.... I'm not sure I have any "habits", though???

8. lucyinthesky

lucyinthesky Tie Dyed Soul

woah i do that too, and i never payed attention to it until i was doing it on your message. lol weird. it's like the computer way of running my fingers along a page.

9. Xiola

Xiola One Lonely Seagull

thats me too!:eek: :D

10. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

On line I roll the screen to just above the line I'm reading and/or run the cursor under the words. That's my way of keeping the place.

With books I fidget to get comfy and hold them up right.

Oh and for me reading is better barefoot (same with everything really). For some reason I can think better that way. It's the same when I write as well.

TTFN

Sage

11. wastingthedawn

wastingthedawn *~Pure Light~*

I always have to have a pen and/or a note book in my hand...Lest I read something that touches me in some way...Almost every page of good books are all marked up...even school and library books if I don't catch myself...

12. gesone

gesone Member

I have a habit of throwing on some inscence and need absolute silence so I can totally engross myself in the book. I also have the habit of putting both my index fingers on my temple as I read.

___________________________________________________________-

"Grilled cheese sandwiches will save the world!"

13. akhc

akhc Member

crease books?? that's sacriledge.. I treat my books like gold :).. more that gold! it's a rare paperback of mine that doesn't look in near mint condition even after 15 years. only the yellowing of paper with time gives it away.

my thing about books is a need to finish the whole book in one sitting. I hate to stop reading before I've finished and hence usually stay up till 4/5am reading..

when I was younger and had school hols I used to go to the library and take out 14 books and have marathon reading sessions.. would finish them in 7 days or so.. I read 18 hours a days somedays.. really miss them!

14. Penny

Penny Supermoderaginaire

I do EXACTLY the same things!!!! And it's terrible...

I also bite my lips a lot but I guess that's not only when I read, usually it's something I do every time I concentrate on something.

15. Penny

Penny Supermoderaginaire

About damaging the books, I must add that I'm trying to stop, and that I've done it less and less... also I've never damaged borrowed books.

Another thing I do is flatten every book I read when I get the middle... I love doing that but I try not to break the spine cause then all the pages fuck-off...

And, I was "happy" to read that I'm not the only one who highlights random sentences when I read online! lol It's a nervous habbit I never notice it when I do it until someone around me tells me: "Stop doing that it makes me nervous!!!!" hehe :)

16. SapphireSerenity

SapphireSerenity Member

Yeah, I do the creasing (sp!) thing too.... And for some reason I can never get comfortable when reading but I somehow I always end up on my belly... :)

~Sapphire

17. We_All_Shine_On

We_All_Shine_On Senior Member

I can't read on my stomach, it hurts too much my ribs dig into the ground