Habits/thinsg you do while reading

Discussion in 'Books' started by We_All_Shine_On, May 14, 2004.

1. We_All_Shine_On

We_All_Shine_On Senior Member

some people mouth the words, I personally bend the page into a crease then press it, till its straight again, creating a big shitty line across the page.
    I also crumple the pages in my hand, and bend the corners(Really bad I'm sorry)
    what do you do?
    ( I also tend to run my fingers across my face, around my eyes especially)

2. DarkLunacy

DarkLunacy Senior Member

I usually run a pencil through my hair... my worst thing is trying to get comfortable. I read rather large books (King) and its hard to just hold those suckers

3. Jetblack

Jetblack Senior Member

lol i usually have a hard time reading the actual boom but hey lol im easily amused by other things

4. Jetblack

Jetblack Senior Member

boom should be book wow im a bad typer

5. mick_jagger_is_so_hi

mick_jagger_is_so_hi Member

I sit in a really spastic position on my bottom with my legs drawn upn to my knees so im kinda crouching. I must look like an idiot but its so damm comfy!!

6. beachbum7

beachbum7 Lookin' for any fun

I don't know if I'd call it a habit, but if I'm reading in my room, I have to have music playing when I'm reading.

7. ImaPeach

ImaPeach Member

i do the big shitty line creasing thing too. especially in my text books... must be a stress thing. I also can't fall asleep unless i've been reading.

8. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

I tend to touch my face alot... move alot. I always must have a lot of light... the A/C on... and a blanket... I tend to switch reading positions every couple of minutes, sub-conciously... always read on my bed. I would kill myself if i did any damage to the book such as folding it and such... i tend to take very good care of my books...

9. migle

migle Senior Member

I usually read travelling by metro (underground), and i have to listen to music in my discman at the sema time, and i also have to read before getting asleep, very relaxing till the book falls on your face, then it's just the moment to switch lights off and dream about it.

10. sky_pink

sky_pink er... what's the time?

I almost always lie on my stomach while reading.

11. backtothelab

backtothelab Senior Member

I have a bad habit of noting things down when i should, like right in the book. I only really notice it when im reading someone elses book, and i have to reming myself to not write in it

12. Earthy Mama

Earthy Mama Feel my wrath... ;)

I annoy myself when I read... I'm very particular. I wait until I get to the 2nd last paragraph on the right side page then i crease the page down until it is perfectly lined up then when i turn the page i have to straighten it and go through the whole damned annoying process again... i think i have a little ocd... lol

13. Magnolia Sin

Magnolia Sin Member

I usually read with music on, I tend to shift positions a lot, and I have to have a blanket on me.

When I'm reading long passages online I hilight random words/sentences (I guess to keep my place, or something...). When people are reading with me and I have control of the mouse they get rather annoyed...

14. AutumnAuburn

AutumnAuburn Senior Member

Hmmm... Well, I don't dog-ear the pages or anything... But, I flatten the center, so that the book stops trying to close on me. This usually breaks the spine... And with a paperback, I will fold (but not crease) the smaller portion back, around the back of the book, to make it easier to hold with one hand.

If the book is borrowed, however, I will not do that. I take exceptionally good care of borrowed books.

Another thing, that can be annoying... If it's an especially good read... I will completely drop out of life... lol food won't be prepared, cleaning won't be done, laundry won't get washed, nothing... lol

15. Acid_Rain

Acid_Rain Member

i run my fingers through my hair, across my face, i also sometimes stick them in the tip of my mouth...i don't suck on them or anything, just leave them there.

16. Timberwolf

Timberwolf Member

I usually start a new page, then jump to another paragraph or page, because I've seen a catchy word, then I have to go back and read what I jumped, cauz I'm incapable to not read something written in my book. I do, however take very good care of my books and can't write in them, even if I should be taking notes while reading

17. Melody

Melody Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

mostly, I play with my bookmark, but also, i have a tendency to write in the book. just little off-subject remarks. I make comments about characters like "geeze, he's so dramatic!" or "she's kinda negative, eh?" It's sort of funny for me, though, becuase I usually don't even think while i'm writing in it, so i don't remember it, so it's a good laugh when I find them later. One time, a book used the word spectre, and it reminded me of Big Fish, so I wrote "The sky so blue, grass so green, Specteur is really great!" :p

18. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

I twist my hair around my finger when I read. It is short hair, so I end up with these tufts all over the place.....attractive it is not but the books are really good.....lol

19. Dilapidated

Dilapidated Member

I do the line-creasing shitty thing too, and also especially with my textbooks, and especially with my Spanish book which was already in bad shape when I got it. :eek: But that class is so boring!

I also read every night (or close to) before I go to bed, and the book sometimes falls on my face, like migle said. I laughed out loud when I read that.

When I read online, I too am spastic with the mouse. Actually, when I was reading this topic I was doing that and only became conscious of it when Magnolia mentioned it. :eek:

20. ohjinn

ohjinn Member

i never realized how many people crease their books. Freaks!, the lot of ya! I have a wierd olive addiction when i read. I love those big martini olives but can't seem to down them all at once. i keep a bowl of them next to me when i read and eat them very slowly. first i have to suck all the salty juice out, then suck out the pimento, then eat the rest in small bites. i can usually make one last about 2 pages.:) i used to bite my nails, which was pretty gross. This habit is much more appealing, despite the the slurping noises. or perhaps because of them?