Habits, Grudges, and Routines

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by hello, May 13, 2004.

1. hello

hello ~*resonance*~

here is a weekday routine of mine:
    every day that it's possible, i MUST sit down and eat something
    at exactly 5pm, when 'the Simpsons' comes on TV. i usually repeat this
    at 6pm and 11pm, when 'the Simpsons' comes on again.

here is a habit of mine:
    when i'm bored, or in between doing things, i'll pass the time by
    pulling out random body hairs, eyebrow hairs, or eyelashes.
    i've been told that this is a trait of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder...
    hmmm...makes sense.

here is a grudge of mine:
    just kidding, i really try not to hold grudges.
    but if i did, it would be against my neighbors.
    today i was doing some laundry at my apartment complex's laundry room,
    and as i walked in with an armful of dirty clothes,
    a lady walking out exclaimed "OH SHIT!!!"
    i may have just surprised her, but the sinister part of my mind started
    to think that her reaction was the alarm of seeing a tall, white boy
    in a place that he does not belong. i imagine she had not seen anyone
    that looked like me all day... i couldn't help but think these thoughts,
    even though i don't believe them.

what are some of your circles of thought and action?

2. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

i think theres a name for people who pull hair out. i read an article about it in the paper once.

3. StellaBlue

StellaBlue Senior Member

It's called trichotillomania.

What is Trichotillomania?
    It is officially classified as an impulse control disorder, along the lines of pyromania, kleptomania, and pathologic gambling.

What are the Symptoms of Trichotillomania?

• Recurrent pulling out of one’s hair resulting in noticeable hair loss.
    • An increasing sense of tension immediately before pulling out the hair or when resisting the behavior.
    • Pleasure, gratification, or relief when pulling out the hair.
    • The disturbance is not accounted for by another mental disorder and is not due to a general medical condition (i.e., dermatological condition).
    • The disturbance causes significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.
    I wouldn't think that pulling out body hairs out of boredom would fall into this catagory. :)

4. NightOwl1331

NightOwl1331 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

My little brother has trichotillomania. One day he just pulled out all of his eyelashes. Freaked us out let me tell you! His psychiatrist said that if it becomes a major problem there's a medicine that helps it.

ha...looks like this has become the trichotillomania thread. lol

5. Penny

Penny Supermoderaginaire

I have a few OCD's (Obssessive Compulsive Disorder - but I'm not sure that term exists in English, it's just my translation of the French term)

For example, I can't go to sleep at night if there is something wrong with my room, like if the closet's not closed, the curtain not completely straight, some object not put at its exact place...
    Then, when I eat, I have to have a glass full of water in front of me, even if I'm not gonna drink, it's just that it bothers me if my glass is empty, I can't concentrate on eating...
    Something more horrible: when I get a mosquito bite somewhere, of course I have to scratch it, and it ends up with a blood crust, that I absoutely have to remove, and keep removing, and not only on me, if I see a blood crust on someone else I feel the need to remove it! It's so bad I wish I could stop but I can't... it's almost self-mutilation.
    Also I can't stand to have an amount of things with an odd number, except 3-5-7. That's all. I don't like odd numbers they make me nervous...
    And there are a few other things like that but I just can't think of them now...

I'm not crazy, many people have small troubles like that, like washing their hands every half hour or every time they touch something that's not themselves... It's incredible the amount of people who have OCD's (or whatever it's called). Usually nervous people, but there are so many nervous people...

6. random_spontaneosity

random_spontaneosity Member

--when im walking around trying to find something, or going somewhere, or decideing something my fingers kind of twitch. like my arms are bent and sort of like im going to grab something and my fingers are twitching. i cant stop doing it, ive only started it recently but it wont stop....makes me look like im mentally ill or something. and then when im waiting for things my fingers do the same but tap against each other. it makes me look really nervous.

--trying to toke on my pen whenever im not writing and just holding my pen

--everything has to have its place in say, my room. the curtains must fall in a certain way when they are closed, (mum washed them and put them back up the other way round so it doesnt go like it anymore, have to set them another way) doors shiut, school stuff all piled up even if they are completely messed up inside, everything that im going to use or have used must be ready for the next use so like deoderant put back in place, hair ties put together in one place, bracelets together and ready to grab and run out the house before im late for school....

i hate it when mum cleans the bath room and tidyes things around...

basically i think im a messy clean freak... everyhting is messy but i know where everything is and it goes back to that spot. everything has an order and i hate people changing it.

but i am a virgo and theres something about then having things looking right or somehting, closing open cupboard doors as you pass them. im good at that.

7. Penny

Penny Supermoderaginaire

Oh God yeah! My sister is a Virgo and she's SO FUSSY about everything being perfect and exactly the way she wants in her room... it's 1000 worse than me.

8. random_spontaneosity

random_spontaneosity Member

i only realised recently when i told someone i was virgo and they said i like closing open doors ro something. and i went 'actualy i do'...

9. -GOD-

-GOD- Banned

"Habits, Grudges, and Routines"

Here's mine.

Habits:

Shooting meteorites all over the place in the celestial sky.
    Giving some rich people cardiac attacks.
    Making sure that gamblers lose that last buck of their.
    Placing things at the last place you'll look.
    Making one sock disappear in the dryer.

Grudges:

Giving pimples to teens who masturbate too much.
    Having Judas clean my toilet on Wednesdays.