Guns shootings? Where is the peace?

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by Box Of Rain, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Box Of Rain

Box Of Rain Member

It's so sad to hear what this world is coming to.
    I was watching the news today and over 15-20 schools have had gun shooting/bomb threats over the past week and what just happened at Virginia Tech is horrible.
    And the anniversary of Columbine is on 4/20.
    its sickening to even hear how much hatred there is in this world today.

And for all of the victims at Virginia Tech REST IN PEACE.

[​IMG]

2. Strawberry_Fields_Fo

Strawberry_Fields_Fo RN

The saddest part is I'm not even surprised. Things haven't really changed much since columbine, except that people are more paranoid, which doesn't really help. What do you expect with a society which ranks its citizens according to earning power? I don't mean to blame society entirely...he definitely had serious issues. And no, gun control won't do anything. It'll just make it that much easier for the government to rape us in the ass.

3. Box Of Rain

Box Of Rain Member

true.
    very well said.

Thats why people will never get to really have a say in goverment.
    They recieve their own sick pleasure knowing that they have control of everyone and no one can do or say anything to change it.

4. Lady Neko

Lady Neko Member

i have been asking myself this all day. why do people hurt each other? why was there no help earlier before it all happened?

5. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Because the world isn't perfect and we still have a long way to go. There are much worse places in the world though. Very many. That doesn't mean the western world doesn't need a lot of changes as well. Hm, not really comforting, I suppose. Happily there are a lot of good and reasonable things as well, so please don't think things like these are what the world is coming to!

6. The_Walrus

The_Walrus Sgt. Pepper

Yeah, it is really unfortunate. I wish this kind of crap would just cease, but I don't know... I doubt it WILL just stop. Something has to happen, but what? General security measures obviously don't work in a select few cases, but what else is there to do?

It's a sad subject.

7. Freewheelin Franklin

Freewheelin Franklin Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Well, in the 60s we had Charles Manson and Charles Whitman. Today we have lots more kooks, the latest being that Cho Short Wang, or whatever his name was. There are always demented souls running about.

8. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

School shootings?

Fuck that... that's nothing, get over it.

Over 170 people died in Iraq alone yesterday... think about that one.

9. AestheticNugs

AestheticNugs Member

Whoah...easy there BraveSirRubin.

People in Iraq die every day but they choose to go there. It is expected to happen no matter how sad it is. But I definitely think something could have beeen done about the school shooting. And a school shooting doesn't make people forget about Iraq. Nobody forgets that. It's sad. But it is life.

Obviously, that guy had a bit of a mental problem. Then again, we don't really know why he did it or what caused him to do it either. Maybe he was hurt or picked on....it happens to people all the time who are in school. And it's only a matter of time before someone turns crazy and decides their move.

I could not imagine that happening to my school or even witnessing a shooting. Shit, I volunteered at a blood drive yesterday for about five hours, and those blood packets were probably the closest thing to a lot blood that I have seen in a while :) I don't know. I have no experience in the school shooting because I never witnessed it. But it's sad nonetheless.

Almost nowhere is safe.

10. rainbowedskylover

rainbowedskylover Senior Member

among those 170 deads must have been very little westerners. nowadays most of the victims in iraque are victims of classes between the followers of the sunni islam and the followers shi'a islam. so, i guess most of the victims of the war in iraque didn't choose to be there.
    nevertheless, i don't want to judge on which event is worse. to me the are both indicators there are a lot of things to improve. why do people start wars and why are they still alowed and able to start wars? why do people bring a gun to school to shoot all their fellow/students?

11. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

Nothing could be done about the school shooting. Absolutely nothing. There are millions of people, and one of the couple of millions went insane, sure... there is no way of stopping that... shit happens, violence happens, it's trageic... sure, but move on and get over it... do not make a big deal out of it, stop living in fear.

12. Hari

Hari Art thou Art

Maybe an overdose of bad vibes is the answer.

13. earthmomma

earthmomma Senior Member

what sickens me is all the folks that came forward after the fact claiming they saw all these "signs"... god damn it.. if you see some thing that concerns you... take action people!!! people claimed that they saw this coming.... that this young man showed a marked tendency towards violence.. and yet nothing was done...if they saw him walk out in front of oncoming traffic... would they not reach out to pull him back??? We've created a generation of angry, latchkey kids and yet school violence is blaimed on goth rockers and violent video games and none put on oblivious parents who are unaware that their kids are amassing an arsenal in their bedrooms...something has got to change! And i'm not talking about school security or gun control.. I'm talking about right in our very homes!...Reach out to your kids... most of them are frankly starving for your affection...

14. pianoperson60

pianoperson60 Senior Member

wheres the peace?

i dunno, i heard hes on vacation.

he'll be back in - - years.

enjoy.

15. AestheticNugs

AestheticNugs Member

Well Rubin,

You can say...whatever, get over it, stop living in fear. A part of that is true yes...but you cannot expect those people to get over it. You're not the father of one of the college students, or a friend or relative of theirs. People who lose those close to them do not just "get over it"

16. ashbury1500haight

ashbury1500haight Member

people are stupid... there will never be peace... never

17. ripple

ripple Member

The only signs he showed were that he was a troubled kid. What do you suggest people do, lock up every suicidal violent kid? Seriously? Its never going to happen. Can you imagine how far it could go... Every slightly weird or odd kid being accused of being the next 'Cho'. If you have a large enough population with guns or even without them freak events like this are going to happen unfortunately.

18. rebelfight420

rebelfight420 Banned

My heart swells everytime I hear a optimist opinon.

19. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

Nope, I'm not close to any of the people in VT, and the people who are close to them have every right to never get over it. Yet, the other 99.9999999999999999999999% of the country should get over it.

Anyhow, this thread summerizes my views on the subject quiet well:

http://www.hipforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231135

20. thehippie_08

thehippie_08 that girl

for once, i will quote my father, Dan, in saying "Human kind is the worst possible thing to ever happen to this world."

I was a troubled kid and I didn't shoot 32 people and i don't plan on it. WTF?