Gun violence- are you a victim or know somone who was?

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by Eric!, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

There's been a lot of discussion about this topic because of the most recent mass shootings in Florida and in Nevada. I'm just curious if anyone here been in any situation where they've been shot at, had a gun pointed at them, mugged (with or without a gun), or even held at knife point? Use this thread to share those personal experiences that you've had.

2. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

ive had a loaded high power rifle pointed at me from 3 feet away (with intent)

the trigger was not pulled

thats all im willing to share

Asmodean and Eric! like this.
  3. Kerri

Kerri Members

Glad you’re still with us!

Asmodean likes this.
  4. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I wasn't shot, but a retired police chief pulled his weapon on me in a traffic altercation.

I ran a light, then he - in his pickup - began barking at me with his window still up. I got out of my car to address the situation (my bad). He pulled his weapon. Later, after I called the police I was informed that he claimed I had a weapon. I had no such thing.

What a douchenozzle. I then found out from the police that he was a retired police officer. They wanted to give me a ticket but I refused to admit running the light.

5. Eric!

Wow, makes you wonder if he was forced into retirement. Only thing more frightening than a criminal with a gun, is an angry cop who doesn't give a shit. I had one that used to pull me over all the time in a small town for bogus made up shit, and when I challenged his accusations of me doing something wrong, he would put his hand on his nightstick or his pistol, and bark about his authority overrules anything I say. Happened several times.

Asmodean and soulcompromise like this.
  6. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

that's really a crying shame. I have been very trusting of police in my lifetime and call them on occasion to report something suspicious, or tell them there is an accident or something. Unfortunately it would seem my trust is somewhat misplaced. I don't think they're all bad, but I think that cop culture needs an update. There's too much violence.

Eric! likes this.
  7. Eric!

I know that feeling, and clearly understand. I too, have had guns pulled on me. Never rifles, always a pistol. I've even been shot at by someone in traffic., which I never thought I would ever have that happen to me.

8. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

ill share a bit more...it was a kid and i dont blame the kid

it was a long time ago

i blame the father for improper storage

RetiredHippie likes this.
  9. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I was shot at late at night in my little home town. Went through the rear fender and ended up behind my ass in the drivers seat in which I was sitting. 1959. Local cop said it was probably my fault. Had a pistol pulled from a few feet away with the kid holding the gun calling out my name and telling me "OK_____-you've had it." Feet did their duty when he was distracted for a few seconds. That was the last of my "fighting with gang members" from an adjacent town.

10. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

Nope. Never.

And I'd like to keep it that way.

Though, I guess this is at least semi-revelant to the thread, my dad used to be a cop. He started taking me shooting when I was in grade school. I've never been afraid of guns because I was taught from an early age how to properly handle them. And though we only shot at paper targets, I also learned what they could do: put holes in things, shred things, destroy things...

So I grew up with knowledge and respect of firearms. When I was seven, I had a BB gun; when I was nine, I had a pellet gun; when I was 12, I had a .22.

When I was 20 I had a 20 gauge. :)

GLENGLEN, Asmodean and Eric! like this.
  11. Meliai

Meliai Banned

A couple of years ago my old neighbors house was shot at in a drive by shooting. Anytime I tell this story I feel the need to say I live in a very safe, middle class neighborhood. Not the type of neighborhood you would ever expect a drive by shooting. The neighbors were an elderly couple who lived there with their two grandkids. At the time they were also letting a nephew or cousin or something live with them who I guess was mixed up in some bad shit.

No one was hit thank goodness .The bullets went through the living room window as well as the window of one of the grandchildren but she wasnt hit. That still makes my blood boil, those kids were at my house almost every day playing with my son and they were so sweet. And it scares me to think it could have been my family if they had gotten the house wrong

This isnt quite the same but my brother in law left a loaded gun on a 3 foot tall shelf once when we were visiting when my son was 3. I didnt realize it until the second day we were there. Fucking idiot, it would have taken a split second for my son to grab that gun. Hes one of those who is always bleating on about "responsible gun owners" too. Yeah right

And I had a friend who had a gun pulled on him once. A female friend called him to come get her from a party because these guys wouldn't leave her alone and when he got there one of the guys pulled a gun on him.

Eric! likes this.
  12. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

NRA position may have been "your family should have pulled your guns and fired back." They seem to think that with everyone carrying or using guns at provocations, society would be safer. It would be like the west in the 1800s , or worse.

13. Eric!

Thanks for sharing, Spiff. Improper storage is how a lot of the accidental and intentional fatalities happen. My dad always had his laying out in the open, even had a gun under his pillow. Never locked up at any time.

14. Eric!

That's awesome, Neo! Everyone woman should be taught how to shoot for protection purposes. You have an excellent foundation in handling weapons that have been developed and improved on over time. I can't get my wife to relax around guns, she's completely terrified of them. I finally got her to at least hold one, and the first thing she does is turn it to where she's looking down the barrel. Even though I unloaded and cleared it before I gave it to her, I still shit my pants when she did that. I need to get a professional to train her, I can't do it because she'll give me a heart attack.

15. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

I know you mentioned your wife was Japanese. Don't know if you meant Japanese immigrant or Japanese American, but if she's actually from Japan, that doesn't surprise me at all.

Guns are virtually nonexistent there.

Hey! So are mass shootings...

Tyrsonswood likes this.
  16. Eric!

Man, you've had a few close calls! How did those situations make you feel overall about guns?mdid you wish you had one after those experiences or did that shy you away from ever wanting to possess one?

17. r0llinstoned

r0llinstoned Gute Nacht, süßer Prinz

I have been threatened to be shot before and also had a knife pulled on me twice. Buncha cholos and cholitas.

morrow and Eric! like this.
  18. Eric!

Japanese immigrant, and yes you are right about no mass shootings, but what you don't here about are the mass stabbings. There's plenty shit going on over there. They try to conceal a lot of issues they have, even from thier own people at times.

Asmodean likes this.
  19. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

Just received my Used British Police Surplus Riot Helmet - Hold the line against chaos .
    Works great !

Once my nephew stopped by and staged a suicide-by-cop event . He obscenely demanded I give him my old shotgun
    and then the Sheriff arrived since he had first called them . It was maddening .

20. Eric!

Cholitas! They can be more vicious than guys, I swear. I had one female gangster that threatened to stab me in the neck because I was ignoring her as she was trying to make conversation with me on the street. "Mother fucker, do you hear me talking to you" was when I decided to listen. First time in awhile I felt intimidated by a woman, she was vicious!

r0llinstoned likes this.