Gun ownership itself is a slight mental illness

Discussion in 'Politics' started by unfocusedanakin, Aug 3, 2019.

1. It should already be loaded, and sitting above the refrigerator.

So, you'd rather have the police fight your battles for y o u? Man, the police do not give a shit about you. The police are not your friends.

Practice fighting your own battles.
    One day you might not be able to run away or call the police.
    What'll you do then?

onceburned likes this.
  2. OlderWaterBrother

OlderWaterBrother May you drink deeply Lifetime Supporter

You must be from England, because you don't seem to understand that gun ownership is a deeply ingrained part of the national culture not to mention written into the Constitution.

It was not put into the Constitution, as some imply, to allow for "hunting", it was put there to allow the "people" to overthrow the government if it becomes oppressive and so, it is the very "military armament" that you rile against that is Constitutionally guaranteed.

If fact, if Conservatives continue to pack the Supreme Court with fellow Conservatives we may find that all gun laws are ruled "unconstitutional".

So, what you say sounds reasonable (although how do you keep bigots from using it to keep guns out of the hands of "undesirables") but it does not take into consideration the differences between cars and guns. Cars are a privilege, Guns, at least in this country, are a right and so cannot be treated the same.

3. OlderWaterBrother

So you agree with unfocusedanakin that the reason people own guns is fear?

And I could care less about whether "the police do not give a shit" about me or not. What I care about is survival, not how macho I am and if you get into a gun fight, one or more people can die, me being one of them. Whereas if I'm next door calling the police, it's them that are getting shot at not me.

4. It's not about fear, or being macho.

It's simply about taking care of your own business. Sure, if someone bigger/scarier than me wants to fight me, I would certainly be scared. I'd fight though, and I might get my ass handed to me. That may have something to do with pride to a large degree, but it is also concerned with facing my fears, and being able to hold my own ground. I've lived on the streets of Baltimore, Chicago, New York, and New Orleans...
    It's about having complete confidence and faith in YOUR ability to rise to the occasion when you need to defend YOURSELF.

Of course, I'm referring to fighting in my case
    But the same thing applies to gun owners
    For some it is about having to feel macho
    But for others it's simply about being able to rely solely on one's self

To say that "the reason people own guns is fear" is an extremely narrow minded approach

I carry a knife, and I use it for many things
    I will not hesitate to pull it if I need to
    Not out of fear
    But for my protection

I also like to whittle

What was it Dylan said
    "The cops don't need you and man they expect the same"

5. OlderWaterBrother

From what you are saying, it appear that for you, it is exactly what it is about.

I have "complete confidence and faith in" MY "ability to rise to the occasion" when needed but fighting just because someone wants to fight you is not a need, that is just misplaced pride.

"rely solely on one's self"? You live on a deserted Island? Otherwise you are just fooling yourself about relying solely on yourself.

I believe that is what I told unfocusedanakin but let me ask you, why do you have a loaded gun on top of your fridge? So you can go hunting a a moment's notice? It's not for whittling and if not what are you afraid of that you have to have a gun ready to shoot.

I also carry a knife and use it for many things but protection? No.

I believe he was talking about the police in Juarez.

6. You're right

I cannot argue with your logic

I do not enjoy fighting
    Perhaps it is Pride...

Having Pride isn't a bad thing...

However, macho is one of the last words I'd use to describe myself

7. Meliai

Meliai Banned

And if someone breaks in when you're not there and finds it and uses it on you when you come home mid break in?
    Or gets to the fridge before you?
    Or simply steals your gun during their robbery?

And of course it should go without saying no one with a child in the house should have a loaded gun lying around anywhere

8. OlderWaterBrother

Pride can be good or bad It kind of depends on what you are proud of.

Being macho is a pit fall for men, it's easy to go there without even realizing it. I know I've been there myself but sometimes age teaches you things youth doesn't want you to know.

9. OlderWaterBrother

Thanx for the reminders, I thought some of the same things but wanted to talk in a different direction.

10. I did not mean to literally have it on your fridge.

Rather I meant that you should have it ready, and close by.

I'm a pot head, so the fridge came to mind.

I personally do not own any guns. I know people that do, and I would if I had a place to live.

But, living on the road, the last thing I need is to get picked up with a concealed firearm.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2019
  11. Which is why the cops always search the fridge. Even looking under ice cubes.

The temperature in the fridge will not likely have any impact on the operability of a gun, particularly a revolver. The freezer is another matter. Also, if you live in a humid zone, your fridge weapon will condense water from the air and your hand, making it a potential for slipping in your grip. A locked box with a bag of desiccant is adequate.

12. He said on top of the refrigerator, not in it.

13. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

lol

14. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

This is a gun, the M110A2. Largest self propelled howitzer there was. Night exercises were the best; the flash was incredible and the noise was almost as loud as a Rush concert. Then a couple minutes after we fired you'd hear the explosion from impact far down range. It was enough to give you a hard-on.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2019
    onceburned and Nitocris like this.
  15. lode

lode Banned

That's where my sister often leaves her car keys!

16. lode

lode Banned

From my cold dead hands.

tumbling.dice likes this.
  17. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

You can hunt without most guns that are for "hunting". I've mentioned that. You yourself are mentioning other doomsday scenarios that are not for hunting which is my point. It's not about that it's about war. You hunt the deer now but it's really fear and paranoia that one day you will need to do more. And it's terrifying to think you will not have that abilty.

People in Norway own guns to hunt. They don't feel the need for what Americans have since they don't fear doomsday. They are not missing any meals and they legally can not own a Ar-15 why do you think that is? Perhaps that you don't really need a Ar-15 or similar guns. The creator of the Ar-15 has even said this is not a hunting riffle. It is a civilian M-16 which is the appeal to its owners. It's good for combat. It's accurate, easily able to modify to full auto fire, and most important anyone can fire it with very little training. It's an excellent militia gun. First time I picked it up I was hitting a target with pretty good accuracy having never used a gun prior.

Also in Norway for owning a gun you must pass a goverment test and you consent to allow police into your home at any time with no warrant to prove to them you have the gun locked up. This the kind of law I support and I feel like you don't. Gun owners have a hard time finding the middle ground in Norway and war. ANY laws means war is coming.

Good for you, most gun owners would attack the intruder. They seem to crave the conflict and see themselves as weak if they just let someone in.

No, I'm American. That is another odd gun owner thing. They ALWAYS go to England when you discuss gun laws. I guess since you think it was the 2nd amendment and not the French who won that war. It's their fantasy a bunch of farmers will beat the best army in the world at the time. We did not the French army did and England just gave up since France is closer and they had a long history. That war is not a good example of gun rights. People who go that time show they don't understand history. If there as no France we would have lost even if every American had guns.

I already mentioned in this thread how rights don't equal no laws using the example of "traveling" with sovereign citizens. You don't get to do whatever you want. Freedom is not free as the saying goes. The same document you use to say you can have a gun says you are free to travel. You don't need to pay tax or have a license to do so unless you are "engaged in commerce". The modern courts have said this refers to horses so cars need tax and safety tests since a car is more dangerous. It's logical to apply this to guns since guns are also not the same as they once were.

We also passed a law in the 80's that said modern guns are not the same as old ones. This is why it takes an expensive permit to own machines guns.

18. OlderWaterBrother

What? I mentioned, not a "doomsday scenario" but what actually happened in 2008 and suddenly you think I bought a gun, a 22 not a man stopping 45, so I could go to war. Honestly, you seem to be the paranoid trembling in fear. I'm surprised you don't own a gun, loaded on top of your fridge.

"Extreme fear and paranoia are why one owns a gun."

Oh wait, people in Norway are an exception to your "Extreme fear and paranoia are why one owns a gun" rule. Interesting.

You aren't listening, I already said some of the things you have suggested are reasonable but told you why they aren't going to happen. Norway does not have a constitution that guarantees the right to bear arms the US does and that is not going to change any time soon.

Thanx, it's one of the reasons I take exception to your generalizations about "all" gun owners.

Actually, just I thought you might be English because you don't seem to understand how the US Government works.

As for France winning the "war", who cares? It doesn't change the Constitution and that is what counts at this point.

Maybe you should invent a time machine and go back in history and explain to those drafting the Constitution that the French won the war and so they should leave out that whole silly "gun rights" thing.

Laws are made and overturned and remade and then overturned again. The Constitution is not so easily changed. You can rile all you want about this law or that law but in the end the Supreme Court has the final say whether it is Constitutional and can overturn it. At this point the Supreme Court is Conservative and is likely to become even more so and so you need to look into that before you waste your time on laws they are likely to overturn.

First, I'm probably are more knowledgeable about what "freedom" and "rights" are than you. Second, there some who are still fighting the "travel" laws and so using that as an example is probably a bad idea.

Once again, you are ignoring the fact that you are talking about laws and not the Constitution and Supreme Court and if that Supreme Court, which is decidedly Conservative at this time, decides that 80's law is unConstitutional then that law is history.

19. OlderWaterBrother

I can understand that.

I don't live on the road but have been seriously considering it and have the same concerns about concealed firearms.

20. Henderson

Henderson Banned

Can you cite something to show that the creator of the AR-15 rifle said that it is not for hunting?