gun control

Discussion in 'Protest' started by malachi35, Jan 31, 2006.

1. malachi35

malachi35 Banned

Why do you think that gun control should be tightened, if so, why, it isn't that bad, what about hunters, what about home defense?

2. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Gun control is something tyrants love, because a society that cannot defend themselves are easy targets for government takeover. Every dictatorship of the past 100 years has utilized gun control as a way to disarm the masses against totalitarianism. This was the case with Hitler, Stalin, and Mao. It is now a reality in the United States. I have seen actual footage of U.S. forces training with foreign troops on U.S. soil, to go door to door and take away people's firearms. This is mere practice for what is to come.

Is it any surprise that as gun control has been tightened, violent crimes involving guns have actually increased?

I believe America would already be a fascist dictatorship if it wasn't for people owning guns.

I am 100% pro-2nd Amendment, 100% anti-gun control. Gun control does not protect anyone, except dictators and fascist governments.

People need to wake up to these important facts! Supporting gun control equates to supporting your own enslavement.

NEVER GIVE UP YOUR GUNS!

3. Pumpkin Eater

Pumpkin Eater Member

Holy Shit, the rat is right. Although I will venture to say that senators supporting gun control probably aren't lizards.

4. andcrs2

andcrs2 Senior Member

Rat's correct.

BTW how many Times has this issue been addressed in HF?

5. gary.newelluk

gary.newelluk Member

I'd say the opposite. Put down your guns. There can never be a reasoned debate whilst people carry arms.

6. Tune_man420

Tune_man420 Member

i say there should be zero gun control. any person with the will to train could kill just as many people with guns that were legal than with so called distructave devices that remain illegal. the legal status of guns will not deter criminals who don't buy guns legaly in the first place. i agree fully with pressed rat

7. Sera Michele

Sera Michele Senior Member

ZERO gun control?

I dont want (or want anyone else) to live in the ghetto where just anyone can walk into a store and buy a gun with thier beer and skittles...I prefer the 21st century, not the middle ages with guns - thank you very much.

I am not saying that we need rediculous amounts of gun control, but there is a measure of restriction that is there for a very good reason.

8. Sus

Sus Hip Forums Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I agree with Pressed Rat. I don't advocate crime any more than anyone else, but we all have the right to defend ourselves against the govt. or those who would use violence against us. I believe that people need to be responsible about gun ownership (keeping them locked up, away from the kids, etc.), but I do not advocate the tightening of gun laws.

1 person likes this.
  9. TheMadcapSyd

TheMadcapSyd Titanic's captain, yo!

Gun laws do nothing, and I can't trust a government that doesn't trust its own people.

10. chameleon_789

chameleon_789 Member

Guns are pretty much banned in the UK. Sure, there's gun crime, but as long as there are guns there always will be. Everyone having a gun wouldn't stop it. If you need to defend your home, call the police. Get bigger locks. Get a stun gun (one of the projectile ones). There are other, non-lethal alternatives.

As for hunting... is that really needed.. killing for enjoyment? I can't see any reason why (lethal) guns should be kept legal just so we can kill animals for fun. Tranquilisers are just as good.

11. gary.newelluk

gary.newelluk Member

I agree totally with you. Being from the UK as well we can see the sense of not needing guns.

However there is one exception which I think is ok which is clay pigeon shooting. The people who participate in this sport are generally not crazed gunmen though.

12. TheMadcapSyd

TheMadcapSyd Titanic's captain, yo!

FBI Uniform Crime Report (1992) shows that 70% of violent crimes are committed by 7% of criminals, many of whom are on probation or are given parole and released early. Of incarcerated felons surveyed by the Department of Justice, 34% have been driven away, wounded, or captured by armed citizens; 40% state that they have decided against committing crimes for fear their would-be victims were armed.

The FBI's statistics also concluded: "Violent crime rates are highest overall in states with laws limiting or prohibiting the carrying of concealed firearms for self-defense."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concealed_carry

Brief UK/US comparison
    Britain remains one of the countries with the lowest homicide rate in the world accounting for 853 homicides in the reporting period 2003/04 according to England & Wales' Home Office for Crime Statistics [3]. At a population of more than 52 million that translates into 1.6 homicides per 100,000 residents. (Scotland and Northern Ireland, which track crime statistics separately, have slighly higher homicide rates.) For comparison, in 2000, police in the United States reported 5.5 homicides for every 100,000 population, although this statistic is somewhat skewed by the high murder rates in just a few large cities (Washington, D.C., New York City, and Chicago, IL) which essentially ban owning guns of all types.[4] For much of the US, where gun ownership is largely not restricted, and no permits are required for owning handguns or long arms, the homicide rates are approximately the same as in Britain, or lower, especially in those areas recently enacting concealed carry laws permitting licensed civilians to carry handguns and other weapons concealed in public. Breaking and entering of occupied dwellings is nearly non-existent in the US in all areas permitting private ownership of guns, whereas British statistics have increased noticeably in recent years upon the further tightening of gun ownership laws.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_the_United_Kingdom#Comparison_with_other_countries

According to Home Office figures released in January 2003 [1], gun related crime has increased since the 1997 ban. (Following total UK ban on private handgun owndership)

13. malachi35

malachi35 Banned

Most people don't kill just for the enjoyment of killing, whenever I go hunting, I eat the animal.

14. Lonewolf251

Lonewolf251 Member

pressed rat is correct, gun control only prevents law abiding people from having guns. The criminals will do what they want and prey on the weak.

15. guy

guy Senior Member

the michael moore film "bowling for columbine" pointed out that social inequality and lack of social welfare caused crime not the ownership of weapons.

16. malachi35

malachi35 Banned

Michael Moore is a biased douche

17. gary.newelluk

gary.newelluk Member

I don't like Michael Moore. The sort of guy that complains about everything but never comes up with any suggestions to improve things.

Its easy to take a shot at things other people are doing.

Henry Rollins tends to speak more sense.

18. FreakerSoup

FreakerSoup Stranger

I would advocate a no-handguns kinda thing. If you want to hunt or defend yourself, get a rifle or a shotgun, and it's much harder to commit gun crimes without handguns.

19. malachi35

malachi35 Banned

Banning handguns don't keep them out of the hands of criminals. They'll get whatever they want. Might as well keep them legal.

20. thespeez

thespeez Member

Add me to the chorus of those that find Moore's logic flawed! While I understand that he interviewed Brooks Brown, author of "No Easy Answers", he failed to use some crucial information that Brown provided him.

If owning a gun is contrary to your belief system, don't own one! However, don't deny the right to others who don't share your beliefs. Yes, I feel that we should settle disputes peacefully, if at all possible. Unfortuantely, there are many who do not understand peaceful resolution and will stop at nothing at killing someone they oppose!