Gun control and genocide

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Glasshopper, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Individual

Individual Senior Member

Ask and ye shall receive., abundantly.

I guess rjh will be more careful about what he asks for in the future.

2. babalon1919

babalon1919 Member

Here is something from the US Census Bureau:
    Victimization Rates by Type of Crime and Characteristic of the Victim

Table 316 shows a steady decrease in violent crimes such as rape and assault according to household income. The lower the income, the higher the rate.

3. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

yup, that's true, but really does not negate the statistics concerning restrictive gun laws and gun related crimes.

I'm fairly confident that if you took the economic causes of crime into consideration then overlay the gun laws on top of that demographic that the gun laws/gun crime rate relationship would still hold true.

You are trying to equate two very disparate factors.
    One focus's on the possible root causes of crime and the other focus's on a specific type of crime and how a specific law's effects that type of crime.

Socioeconomic motivations of crime in general is a completely different topic.

Let's keep it straight what the topic is.

Nobody is questioning whether education, poverty level, and general socioeconomic status has an influence on crime, that really is pretty friggin' obvious.

We were talking about the degree to which gun control laws influences the occurrence of gun related crimes.

4. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

This is often the problem with politics that people often try to simply issues by compartmentalising them, cutting them off and treating them as separate issues. The problem is that this can lead to a simplistic approach to issues.
    In the real world things are very often connected and inter-connected. To me it is impossible to separate policies and attitudes toward general socioeconomic problems and the viewpoint toward gun control (for and against).

5. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

no fucking shit Sherlock!! :rolleyes:
    but confusing issues like above isn't the correct way to go about doing research.
    In doing research on how gun law effects gun crime it is necessary to account for things like socioeconomic status and DISCOUNT IT AS A VARIABLE NOT BEING TESTED, or did you miss that day in science or statistics class?

Balbus you spout off a lot of crap, but you simply aren't as intelligent as you think you are.

and again, isn't there some dire social issue in the UK that needs your brilliant intellect :rolleyes: to solve???

Why the obsession with U.S. politics and gun laws in particular?

6. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Of the examples listed by Deviate none cite more than two shots from the weapons, so almost any gun would have been just as effective, except for the intimidation factor.

The last doesn't seem to state what kind of weapon was used and may have been a case of mistaken identity.

So I don't think they support the need for AR-15s for self protection.

I haven't looked at Victimization Rates by Type of Crime and Characteristic of the Victim, yet.

7. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

you completely missed the point!
    deviates post was an answer to this stupidity;

a pretty moronic statement to make, don't you think?
    deviate provided an answer and showed how moronic it was.

I'm disappointed Meagain, I thought you were smart enough to see that and be able to detach your personal emotional feelings on the topic and access the facts.

Sorry, but the facts do not support rj's ludicrous remarks nor do they support many of the claims made by those in favor of gun regulation.

If people would pull their heads out of their asses and lose the emotional response to this issue and focus on facts and statistics then apply rational and logical thought to the problem, an answer could be found that would answer everyone's concerns.
    But as long as we have morons like rj spouting off and other morons hearing such crap respond with "OMG! SOMETHING MUST BE DONE!!!" without engaging their brains, no resolution will ever be found.........to any problem.

It's just as bad as the moron's claiming there is no gun problem.

I guess the art of critical reading/listening and logic are quickly becoming a thing of the past.:(

8. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

don't bother, it has nothing to do with the topic of gun related crime, it's about crime in general and socioeconomic status, age and ethnicity of the victim.

I really don't see what bearing those statistics have on the specific topic of gun control and gun related crime.

But it does illustrate what I mean about critical reading being a dead art, that is if you think those statistics have any bearing on the gun control issue.

9. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

This is a very American issue I think, seems you are really the only ones who care very much about owning powerful weapons. In Canada, we have what I would consider very sensible laws regulating the sale and possession of firearms, and we have quite a low homicide rate.

10. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

I think noxiousgas needs some time out to calm down I think two days is enough

11. Mzi

Mzi Member

hahaha... pistol on water? :D

12. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

By then you and Individual will have this thread up to 50 pages of essays that nobody is going to read...

13. MeAgain

Well, I was just going to warn NG about his moron statements....but guess I don't have to now.

Anyway, I understand this part:
    My point was that the cited examples do not show a need for assault style weapons for personal defense. Not that they haven't been used for such. I am saying that the examples do not show that a high fire rate/capacity weapon was needed in any of the examples. I agree that rjhangover could have worded his request better.

And again, I will point out, we already have gun regulation and no responsible gun owner, to my knowledge, has ever stated that we should do away with all gun regulations.

14. MeAgain

After a quick look, I can probably agree with that.

15. babalon1919

babalon1919 Member

Actually someone did. I was answering their post to me on the subject.

Yes, I know.
    And if you look at other statistics related to gun control laws in various other countries and compare that to the incidence of gun related crimes, there seems to be no correlation. What seems to be associated is the the general prosperity level of the country itself rather than its gun control laws, whatever they may be.

In this country, they can tweak the gun control laws all the want in any direction and I don't think crime rates are going to change all that much unless the quality of life/standard of living improves for many people in this country.

To me it seems like the difference between having a stink and trying to cover it over with other smells...or having a stink and just taking a bath.
    :sunny:

16. OhReally

OhReally Guest

Gun laws are a very complex and touchy subject, obviously, but this;

is incorrect if the focus is how gun laws influence gun related crimes. In order to understand a specific issue it is necessary to single out what you are and aren't testing for. That is basic scientific methodology. In reality your approach simplifies the issue, and it's just poor science and research.
    as stated below;

this has me concerned about joining what was portrayed to me as a "free speech" forum.
    Will I get banned now for not agreeing with you?

17. MeAgain

Although this is a free speech site, it is still subject to moderation to ensure its functionality.

Bans are issued for infractions of the forum guidelines that you agreed to when you registered at the site.

Not for respectful disagreements.

18. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Banned

And from what I have heard, even if they do ban you, it is not as though a reason is given so that you can contest it. How are we supposed to trust that the mods are not just out to get us?

To stay on topic: stricter gun control!

19. tubahead

tubahead Member

20. MeAgain

We are out to get you...

[​IMG]

especially when the thread goes off track!