Gun bump stocks banned

Discussion in 'Politics' started by unfocusedanakin, Dec 20, 2018.

1. storch

storch banned

Un huh. And I'm against people who break and enter my home in the middle of the night, and who force me to guess at what their intentions are. It would be irresponsible of me to not ensure the safety of my family.

2. KerrBear

KerrBear Members

Yeah nobody is for that. I’m just wondering how it’s being a responsible gun owner and covered legally when you shoot at an unknown target.

Does anyone else live in your house? Did the intruder take a hostage? Is it the older man down the street with dementia who is lost and confused? Were you mistakenly implicated and it’s the police? Is it someone who had a car accident and came in to call 911? Is it a kid strung out on opioids? I’m not an attorney but not knowing what you’re shooting at seems pretty indefensible to me and I can’t fathom considering that responsible

MeAgain likes this.
  3. storch

storch banned

Well that's the difference between you and me. I'm not about to consider why someone decided to break into my house in the middle of the night before seeing to the safety of my family.

You're free to take all the time you need to resolve the issue of all the unknowns before taking action. Good luck with that.

4. KerrBear

KerrBear Members

So you think it’s responsible to fire a gun inside your house without knowong what you’re shooting at?

5. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

That was Oscar Pistorius' defense when he shot his girlfriend four times as she was locked in the bathroom.

Having lived in a rural area and having known a man who shot another man to death after that man beat down his front door and entered his home while he was waiting for the police, who were an hour away; and having had one of my next door neighbors murdered on her back porch; I can understand your sentiment.
    However, there are many cases of mistaken shootings in the home, here's a few:

KerrBear likes this.
  6. storch

storch banned

What you're really asking, and not knowing it, is whether or not I feel that the wellbeing of my family trumps the wellbeing of the stranger who has broken into my house in the middle of the night. The answer to that is "yes."

7. KerrBear

KerrBear Members

Okay thats a fair rephrasing imo. And I understand the sentiment. I support your right to have a gun and defend yourself, your family and your home. It is irresponsible to not know what you’re shooting at. That’s a fair phrasing too. And of course you’ll lose in court but it sounds like you’re okay with that as a consequence

8. storch

storch banned

Well I'll trust myself to judge the situation when it arises.

9. KerrBear

KerrBear Members

Totally fair. That’s not how the law works but as long as you understand that more power to you.

10. storch

storch banned

I will not lose in court if the jury believes that my actions were reasonable. Take note that the situation I've described is specific.

11. KerrBear

KerrBear Members

So you think a jury might find it reasonable that you fired a gun inside your house without knowing what you fired at? Good luck

12. storch

storch banned

If it turns out that I fired at a midnight home invader whose intentions are unknown, I will accept the consequences for putting a stop to the threat.

Did you know that there are such cases in which the home owner does not go to jail?

13. KerrBear

KerrBear Members

At the end of the day, as a gun owner myself, I simply cannot support not knowing what I’m shooting at. If you can good for you.

14. storch

storch banned

If you ever wake up to a midnight home invader, and you opt to not use your gun, I hope it ends well for you.

15. KerrBear

KerrBear Members

I’m not saying I’m not going to use the gun. I’m saying I won’t be so wreckless and so cowardly that I’ll shoot at noises

McFuddy likes this.
  16. storch

storch banned

Yeah, and I won't shoot at noises, either. Good policy . . .

17. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Most home intrusion laws specify that you must "fear imminent death or great bodily injury" before you can attempt to kill an intruder. Usually the homeowner must prove that belief.
    In the example that I gave of my neighbor shooting and killing an intruder, the homeowner called the state police and told them the man (who he knew) was drunk and beating down his front door with a baseball bat and yelling that he was going to kill him. The police informed him that they couldn't get a car to him in less than an hour and that he should do whatever he had to do to protect himself.
    He waited until the door was beaten down and the man charged him with the bat. Then he shot him dead.

Although he felt he did the right thing it was a nightmare after the shooting. He went through years of litigation and lawyer fees until he was cleared of any charges.

Firing at an unknown intruder in the dark without knowing what's going on is reckless behavior and can result in the killing of a family member you are trying to protect. You probably won't be charged, but will you be able to live with yourself?

18. storch

storch banned

. . .

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  19. storch

storch banned

I will leave it to me to decide whether or not the person rummaging around my house at night is a family member or a criminal.

About Shooting an Intruder

Florida Statute 776.013 says that you may defend your home or occupied vehicle from anyone trying to unlawfully gain access or entry to it by use of deadly force. Should this kind of incidence occur, you do not need to retreat or fire a warning shot to scare the intruder. The law permits an absolute assumption that whoever was attempting the unlawful entry into your private property was doing so with the full intention of committing a violent act towards you or your family.

You, as the defendant, are assumed to be acting in reasonable fear or great bodily harm or death to yourself and/or to your family. Should you find yourself in such a situation, the police and prosecution cannot try to show that your fear was unreasonable or attempt to justify the illegal entry and intentions of the intruder.

The Limitations

Of course, this statute has limitations to what you can and cannot do. It states that:

– You cannot be engaged in illegal activity at the time of the shooting- You must be aware that an intruder has broken into your house/vehicle or is attempting to do so- The intruder does not have a right or permission to enter the property

If you are legally in the home, and an intruder tries to gain forceful entry, you can shoot them without warning. You are, however, strictly prohibited from shooting police officers who are in the process of carrying out their duties. Even if they attempt to gain entry into your property without your permission, you cannot shoot them. The use of deadly force or force of any kind against police officers is illegal.

Can I Shoot An Intruder In Florida
    _____________________________________________________________________________

The real question is: Could I live with myself if I was so weak-willed as to leave the security of my loved ones in the hands of a midnight intruder who may or may not be armed? The answer is "no."

If a midnight intruder doesn't understand what his criminal presence in my home means to me, I'm under no obligation to make adjustments to compensate for his ignorance on the matter.

For the record, I keep a 1,000,000 candlepower rechargeable spotlight on my nightstand. It will blind anyone. If they wanted, they could shoot in the direction of the light, but I would already have the drop on them, and they would go down.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    scratcho likes this.
  20. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

Time to start focusing anakin.