Growing super long hair?

Discussion in 'Body Modification' started by ChrisGriffin, Jan 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spookytheferret

Spookytheferret Member

yes, unfortunately, trimming your hair has nothing to do with its growth processes. all your hair is is dead tissue, so why would it matter what's on the ends? your scalp doesn't know if your ends are split or not. cutting your hair = making your hair shorter. if you're really worried about split ends, use a lot of conditioner and moisturizing products there. but think about it...why would you cut it to make it longer? stinkfoot's right.
    but, anyway, you can get supplements targeted specifically at hair/skin/nail growth at a health food store.
    [​IMG]

2. seizedbyanger

seizedbyanger Banned

your hair is made of keratin, a protein. its not actually dead, its just non-feeling.

3. stacy lulu

stacy lulu yeeeaah buddy

okay. whatever you say :rolleyes:

4. stacy lulu

stacy lulu yeeeaah buddy

Again....you trim it up to get it back its health...not for growth

:frown:

5. ChrisGriffin

ChrisGriffin Member

Hey, stacy, I'm going to get my mom to trim the ends tomorrow once I take my hair down. I'd do it myself but I don't want to cut too much off.

6. stacy lulu

stacy lulu yeeeaah buddy

whens the last time you had it cut?

7. stinkfoot

stinkfoot truth

ONLY IF IT'S DAMAGED! Besides dead ends or not the root stays the same
    No no no
    Adopting a snotty attitude doesn't make the utter bullshit, which is part of your contribution here correct. Horse shit like that sends too many people to get dealt setbacks for no good reason and does them a disservice.

You want length? Put the scissors away and boycott the hairdresser- especially if you're a guy- most tend to get scissors-happy.... especially toward men. Got damage- by all means... have it trimmed by someone you trust. Otherwise NO!!

8. stacy lulu

stacy lulu yeeeaah buddy

9. ChrisGriffin

ChrisGriffin Member

Trimmed? Probably like 6 years ago, I dunno. It had grown way longer than it is now, but during the summer last year I left my hair down and didn't get it braided, and it got shorter.

10. ChrisGriffin

ChrisGriffin Member

First off, you really need to chill out, because you're getting all worked up over basically nothing.

Besides, it's not like they're saying trimming your hair is the only way to get it to grow longer, they're just saying it's one of many contributing factors. I seriously doubt if I let someone trim it every few months it'll do any damage at all.

11. stinkfoot

stinkfoot truth

This subject is a sore spot with me- my apologies for taking it out on you. The "regular trims stimulate growth" myth was used on me regularly when I was younger and trying to grow longer hair. Yes, trying. Most times I went in for my trims I came out with a six month setback in growth... even when I got specific about what I wanted. Once in a while I'd get a stylist who actually listened but the lion's share of the time I'd inherit a self-important scissors happy asshole who apparently took it as a personal crusade to rid the world of its unsightly scourge of long haired men.

It wasn't until after about 15 years ago when I boycotted the industry that I realized that my hair could actually grow beyond shoulder length. This observed pattern of customer disservice has ingrained an antipathy toward the hair dressing business such that should I decide I actually want my hair shorter I will either do it myself or enlist the cooperation of a friend or relative. It also has me railing against old wive's tale advice handed out by sometimes well meaning folks who aren't employing a clever stratagem to get scruffy non-conformists into the barber where they will be set straight.

It's a contributing factor to stemming damage but it's often used as an excuse to impose a more "decent length haircut" on a would-be longhair.

The shortening is probably a result of damage. When you say braiding, do you mean cornrows, a single braid, or something else? I've heard that cornrows are hard on hair. Most peoples hair has a maximum length it will grow determined by how long it stays in its growth cycle- which is 2-6 years. On average human head hair grows six inches per year. Someone with a growth phase of 2 years will not be able to grow his/her hair very long. Keeping your hair in a single braid may well protect it.

Good luck.

12. stinkfoot

stinkfoot truth

Growth occurs at the root. Hair itself is non-living organic tissue- yes, it's largely a protein.

13. ChrisGriffin

ChrisGriffin Member

It's mostly always in cornrows....and sometimes I'll let my hair stay down for a few days or even up to a week or two to let it rest from getting cornrows. I don't know if cornrows are damaging my hair because my brother has had them just as long as I have and his hair is very long.

14. toolmaggot

toolmaggot Nuts Go Here.

I second stinkfoot. Cutting yr hair to make it grow faster is the oooooldest myth in the book.

15. ChrisGriffin

ChrisGriffin Member

They're not saying cut it to make it longer, just trim it. It seems like you just ignored all the other posts made after the one you quoted, though. Isn't a surprise though.

16. justCHILL

justCHILL Member

ezactly, no one is paying attension to what the big picture is, and are taking things out of context...cutting hair will not make it grow longer...it will temporarily make it shorter...and the ends have nothing to do with the roots! BUT...and DONT STOP READING THIS! when the ends of your hair split...they will continue up your hair, like a pair of fraid jeans continues to fray. eventually if u treat ur hair like shitt, ur entire head will be duiscustingly frizzy and unhealthy, not allowing it to grow very well. this is an extream case of neglect to ur heard, BUT cutting ur hair prevents this, and makes it look nicer and keep it healthier. If you only cut an half an inch to an inch off every few months, it will not set u back far, back, and can only help your hairs health

17. ChrisGriffin

ChrisGriffin Member

Very well put.

18. stacy lulu

stacy lulu yeeeaah buddy

well its not just her, its the people who cant read the whole thing :rolleyes:

19. ChrisGriffin

ChrisGriffin Member

I know, it's annoying how people disregard one thing just so they can try to side with someone who's technically not trying to argue. Ah...good ol' toolmaggot....showing her ignorance again. Gotta love it.

20. stinkfoot

stinkfoot truth

I did my best to back off peaceably from the earlier dialog and acknowledge that I often misread intentions into posts. I'm human and am capable of making mistakes. In light of that was it really necessary to get in this last little snipe?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.