Growing stuff with deer in the yard

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Stillravenmad, Jun 9, 2006.

1. Stillravenmad

Stillravenmad Member

We've been having a real problem with deer eating our flowers. See, our area is lousy with deer. Seriously, once you leave NYC and drive a couple hours upstate, you hit deer country. They just dominate the area. They're such beautiful animals, they add so much to the scenery and all, but they're driving my family nuts! Is there a way to protect our garden without harming the deer?

2. mamaboogie

mamaboogie anarchist

plant stuff they dont like? maybe try that, along with planting stuff they do like just for them to eat, but farther away from the plants you want them to leave alone. or get a big dog. LOL I had deer in my yard before I moved to this house, my little dog pretty much kept them away from my garden, though they would get some of my veggies regardless.

good luck!! Let us know what works! I have the same problem on a much smaller scale, bunnies, lots and lots of bunnies...

3. Stillravenmad

Stillravenmad Member

Yeah, we have the bunnies, too. Pretty much, my area is overpopulated with everything but preditors and people. We live somewhere between the middle of nowhere and Deliverance. We do have coyotes, but I think it's just one individual pack and I don't think they hunt deer.

I don't know, the deer seem to like everything. We even planted mums one fall, which deer aren't supposed to like, and they eat them. Our dog Thea does chase them away during the day, but we keep her inside during the night. I'm not sure she'd even know what to do if she catches one. She's not exactly a hunting dog- she's a border collie who still thinks she's a puppy.

I think we should build a fence, but I doubt my parents will build one. Mom and Dad will probably only keep the house a couple more years- I'm going to go to college downstate next year, and Mom and Dad'll probably move to Boston at some point.

4. hippiehillbilly

hippiehillbilly the old asshole

electric fences at nose level around the problem areas..

plant yer flowers with electric fence entertwined about the hieght they grow.

it wouldnt be hard..

5. 420everyday

420everyday Member

6. Biggen

Biggen Banned

Peppermint works wonders for keeping deer and other critters away.

Having a garden and enjoying nature is a blessing, but trying to find a happy medium with the wildlife is a challenge. Good luck!

7. MetalWarrior

MetalWarrior Member

I know the feeling. If it's your property load the freezer up! It's a bummer to work hard on a garden and to see it chewed to the ground.

8. DancerAnnie

DancerAnnie Resident Beach Bum

If you put human hair around your garden, the deer will smell it and stay away...weird but true.

9. MetalWarrior

MetalWarrior Member

Only works if the deer haven't seen or been around humans. They get used to the scent and ignore it.

10. Acorn

Acorn Member

and the hair tends to decompose too quickly. i heard soap works but only if you put it like every 5 feet. or you can get preditor pee, go to a garden place and ask for the kind that keeps away deer.

11. Raving Sultan

Raving Sultan Banned

Venison anyone?