Growing Peyote

Discussion in 'Cacti Delecti' started by CannbisSouL, Nov 21, 2009.

1. CannbisSouL

CannbisSouL Smoke 'till you toke. Lifetime Supporter

I know.
    I'm only giving them a few hours per day..

They were streeetching, though. There's really not enough natural light + it's been really grey the past few days.

I'm working on getting them used to it slowly.. just hoping it'll slow them down from stretching too far.

2. CannbisSouL

Another cacti sprouts.

It's almost been two weeks and I have 50% germination rates so far with what are apparently fairly old seeds.

Not too shabby.
    I'm excited to see if they survive the phase of going from humid to dry environment.

3. deleted

deleted Visitor

you should get a cheap Hps security lamp at home depot, walmart.. run you about $30.00, break it down, remover shielding, attach plug, timer. good to grow.. this will be like desert daylight, toss in a few clf Whites to even out spectrum's.

4. CannbisSouL

[​IMG]

This was the third one to sprout, it sprouted yesterday.

[​IMG]

The one in the top left hand corner was the first; it came about 6 days ago. Then came the one in the bottom right hand corner second, about 4 days ago. The one in the top right hand corner just sprouted today, and it's the fourth.

5. young_deadhead

young_deadhead I Love Lucy

shit you should come down to c-bus once it warms up and ill help you finish those buttons

6. PsychedelicLover

PsychedelicLover Member

Congrats on your beautiful babies! You have inspired me to want to start some misc plants :D

7. CannbisSouL

Well, just yesterday I started with the process of cutting holes into the bag of the original group of cacti, so as to get them used to the less humid environment outside the bag. I cut two small holes to start off.

How often should I cut more holes?
    I was thinking cut a small hole every week, until the humidity levels are about the same.

8. PsychedelicLover

PsychedelicLover Member

Good luck with those beauties :) I still want to start some soon, but it's pretty cold in my house in the winter sometimes.

9. CannbisSouL

Just get yourself a good ol' heating pad used for starting seeds, and keep it in a place above 10C or so :)

10. CannbisSouL

So I just thought I would ask:

The little yoties have started sprouting hair at the top, and I've seen pictures of some peyote that were supposedly 1+ years that still had no hair; is this a sign of too much of something? Too little of somthing?

Or are they just peyote that grow hair?

11. Positive.Vibrations

Positive.Vibrations Guest

Pics? I wanna see the babies :D

12. Omacatl

Omacatl Senior Member

all peyote grow tufts. [​IMG]

13. CannbisSouL

[​IMG]

Here's a picture of some of them (shitty quality).

These are the ones in better condition, I still have another one that's struggling from being knocked down but I think it's gonna be fine. They're growing slower than seedlings, but there's still a steady pace going on.

14. Positive.Vibrations

Positive.Vibrations Guest

They are so cute CS :) I think I may start some this summer.

15. Omacatl

Omacatl Senior Member

Cute little green boogers you got there. :)

keep em moist for now. And for the love of god when you transplant do not put them in MGCM (miracle grow cactus mix) soil. that shit sucks for lophs. use pumice, sand, crushed volcanic rock, and perlite. go all mineral. remember where these cacti came from.

16. CannbisSouL

I learned that I needed to keep them moist when my one lonely cacti almost died on me from being too dry. (It's fine now, though; don't worry).

Alright, I shall heed your advice.
    Gotta stay true to their environment. :coffee:

17. Antieverything1

Antieverything1 Guest

I was thinking of growing some peyote, but now that I know that they take so long, I don't think that will be an option haha, I was wondering where I could get some seeds though, any ideas?

18. CannbisSouL

Sorry for the long response, but I don't know of any online vendors myself. I purchased the seeds from a headshop in town, and thus I couldn't tell you where to get them/what the running price is. Shouldn't be too hard to find, though.

Also, all the peyote from round one died. The problem: Plastic pots that shifted the roots every time I touched them due to them being so flimsy.

The solution: Clay pots. I planted more 'yoties a few weeks ago and now I have 8 little babies. Hoping for better luck this time... pics to come soon. :sunny:

19. Omacatl

Omacatl Senior Member

Sorry about your loss man. Lophs are not an easy plant to care for.

pics of the new ones...lets see em!

20. CannbisSouL

[​IMG]

That's one pot.

[​IMG]

That one all the way on the left just popped up a few days ago, basically overnight. It looks a little dried out, but the seeds were planted a few weeks ago. Just gonna give it some water.

Now I have clay pots and mist the cacti from above. Seems to work for getting enough water to the plants without disturbing the roots or rotting the roots.