Grocery Stores

Discussion in 'Protest' started by YankNBurn, Jul 10, 2006.

1. YankNBurn

YankNBurn Owner

Instead of having a butcher at the store they are ordering meat that is packaged to look like it was cut there. The companies that supply this meat are soaking the meat in a salt solution to preserve the color and life span of the meat. Sodium levels of 50MG+ per serving are dangerous to those with high blood pressure and edema. The false appearance of the meat looking like it would be fresh and not a prepackaged product can lead to serious health issues.

It is listed on the package but if you bought your meat for years from the same store and were not notified of the change imagine the health issues it may have cuased.

I believe they should have to above thier meat department dislcose in a very visible manner that the meat is not fresh but rather a prepackaged brine soaked product.

2. gardener

gardener Realistic Humanist

I agree. Disclosure is the key to a fair and open market and society.

3. misswhatnow

misswhatnow Member

Or go live on a farm and get your own.

4. Shambhala Peace

Shambhala Peace Senior Member

This is one of the many reasons why I am a vegetarian. Less hassle.

5. yarrow_sun

yarrow_sun Member

An article in a recent Veg magazine, I think it was Fit Veg, is about lab created meat. Now doesn't that sound yummy? :rolleyes:

6. Leopold Plumtree

Leopold Plumtree Member

There's a small, local grocery store a few miles away from me that cuts meat in plain view of the shoppers. It also happens to be the place to go for steaks.

7. kitty fabulous

kitty fabulous smoked tofu

Oh please, ask yourself logically how practical this is for most people. "Gee, the quality of meat went down at the Weggie's. I guess I'll just quit my city job and uproot my whole family, learn agriculture overnight, and move to a farm!"[​IMG] I mean, really.

The meat issue really doesn't affect me because I am vegetarian. It is possible to find co-ops and CSA that offer fresh, hormone- and preservative-free meat, though.

8. zeppelin kid

zeppelin kid Member

I love salt.

9. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

Grocery store lunch meat and hot dogs are mostly garbage now. They use the terms 'made with turkey, pork, and chicken' to make it sound good but that's all the leftover guts of animals they don't know what to do with. When they put this in dog food they call it 'meat by-products'. They're basically selling you dog food with a nicer sounding name. Soy is another cheap filler.

One of the consumer advocates on TV was showing a chart of the percentage of beef in hot dogs over the years. It's gone down consistently since the 1950s.

10. cynical_otter

cynical_otter Bleh!

Meat protein did nothing for your spelling skills.

Who cares if she's veggie and why? Why do you care? She's not forcing you to eat tofu and bean sprouts.

11. cynical_otter

cynical_otter Bleh!

Meat protein did nothing for your spelling skills.

How cares why she's veggie? Why do you care so much? She isn't forcing you to eat tofu and bean sprouts.

12. 7point65

7point65 Banned

You people are gettin' all excited over nothin'...it's all really easy. Just buy some dog food to spread on your bread for your sandwiches. Or you could get the kind you add warm water to to make gravy and pour it over bread or mashed potatoes and have some hot SOS. Get on the web and research where there is a warehouse of some 1950's hot dogs and buy a refridgerated truck load. You would have a lifetime supply for you and your family. While you're at it drop by the local Cenex or farmers co-op and stock up on veterinary drugs for your various aches and pains. Just don't forget to change the dose requirements from horse size to human size. Peace 7.65

13. Shambhala Peace

Shambhala Peace Senior Member

Actually the canines in the human mandible are not built for ripping. If they were, then they would be much longer and much sharper. Most of our teeth are used for grinding, which is found in many herbivores. Humans are capable of eating meat, solely for the purpose of survival. We have forced ourselves to eat meat as part of the evolutionary process (though our bodies have yet to fully catch up).

I actually am allergic to soy. So I have to have it in small quantities, besides the fact that I really don't care for the flavor.

Why would I eat muscle and other body parts if I find it offensive and disgusting? Not to mention unhealthy...for me at least.

It's my belief and I choose to be this way for many reasons. Mainly religious and moral reasons. I hold all life as holy and special, and just like I wouldn't murder someone, I don't want to kill an animal or see one killed (again).

I believe they deserve just as much respect as you do, even if we disagree. All life deserves respect and compassion.

14. woodsman

woodsman Senior Member

I agree. If more people embraced the agrarian lifestyle, the world would be a much better place.

15. 7point65

7point65 Banned

Yeah well...that's a real nice sentiment tho I didn't claw and scratch my way near the top of the food chain sos' I could eat seeds and nuts and berries like some domesticated agricultural animal used as food for my consumption..... sauteed in butter and lightly seasoned to perfection for my oral edification.:sunny:

And yes I've seen that style of meat at my local grocer and it's really amazing how fresh and tantalizing it appears to be. Tho like the OP I prefer to be the primary who applies the seasonings and in quantities of MY CHOOSING not THEIRS!!

16. 7point65

7point65 Banned

....Yeah hey there Bubba....have you EVER eaten tofu??? It's slimy and generally unappetizing as all get out. No way I'm reaching for my wallet to pay for crap and then actually cook it and eat it! I'd sooner eat some nasty Brussels sprouts!!! And I hate hate hate the nasty ass foul taste of that CRAPOLA!!!

Speaking of seasonings I bought some skinned garlic about 2 weeks ago. All my life I've cooked with garlic powder and thought that was the cats meow. Well was I ever the fool!!

Now naturally since I am almost out of this stuff where I got it is also out of it. So I gotta bust a move trying to find more of it b4 I'm totally out. Meantime I got some imported garlic. But I really ain't too crazy about buying/eating food from China. America may trade with them but I'm about 99.8% sure China would attack us and nuke us into the Stone Age if they figured they could kill 90% of us with the first strike. But then they'd have to wait at least 20 years until we stopped glowing in the dark doncha know!!:devil:

17. wa bluska wica

wa bluska wica Pedestrian

did you actually do this?

it was kinda handed to most of us on a platter . . .

18. deleted

deleted Visitor

Who are you people and where did you go?..... Did you get lost in the grocery store again. I swear we're going to have to get them tracking bracelet for you guys..

19. stinkfoot

stinkfoot truth

Considering the manner in which much of our sustenance is engineered and manufactured I really don't see the human species as having much place in the food chain because the shit that was on the platter handed to us only vaguely resembles food. We've created/perverted a separate food chain for ourselves and have manipulated what occupies it... and feeding us is but a secondary objective... making money is the primary one..