Grieving Breastfeeding...

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by HippyFreek2004, Jun 9, 2006.

1. HippyFreek2004

HippyFreek2004 changed screen name

Well, my labs weren't like I'd said a couple of days ago....they printed the wrong results (someone else's) on my results page...hmm, weird...

Anyway, I have normal everything levels except high prolactin levels...Talked with PCP and she ordered the one test I knew I needed all along, which is insulin level. So I go fasting into the lab tomorrow, to also have a lipid panel...She said I sound more consistent with metabolic syndrome...So, would that effect ability to breastfeed?

2. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

Weird, the "original" results made a lot of sense. Did they say they gave you the wrong results before or after you talked to them about the treatment and the Thyroid. I'd ask to have the tests run again. If the lab messed up this badly, who know where your original results are. Did they NOT do an insulin check the first time? Your sugar is normal? Despite the pain of having these tests done, I'd quote the fact that they gave you improper results as a reason to run all the tests again, at THEIR charge.

Something isn't right about this. I would bet money your thyroid is off.

You just have so many clear signs of PCOS. But the dx of Met Syn and PCOS are VERY hard to often tease apart. This must be really frustrating for you.

Blessings,

get a hold of me after the next run of tests come back.

((((((((((((((((Holly))))))))))))))))))

3. Maggie Sugar

Holly, the main form of Metobolic Syndrome is VERY close in diagnostics to PCOS. Many of the same symptoms. Your Triglicerides would be sky high, and you may well have a high prolactin level. But, you just had a baby, and are still lactating a little, so going on the prolactin as a compass, in a post partum womyn, is not good diagnostics. They are going to need to look at your Triglicerides, your Cholesterol and most importantly, your sugar and your insulin resistance. The insulin could well be the key, it plays a part in both conditions, (Met Syn and PCOS) and they may well be part of the same syndrome.

I have to see some clients this morning, but I will get back to you, I have to read about 10 medical articles I have backed up about this. I'll talk to you either later today or tomorrow. Depends on how my first client is, looks like a tricky one.

Hang in there, mama.

(((((((((Holly)))))))))))))) (More hugs...........)

4. HippyFreek2004

You are just so amazingly wonderful, Maggie! You've been more helpful that my doc, LCs, pediatricians, and even LLL put together! I feel like I should be paying you for all you're doing for me!

I decided to have my hormones retested AFTER seeing the endocrinologist. Because I have a feeling my hormones still haven't recovered fully from pregnancy (during which, all of my hormones and such straightened out...My insulin levels were perfect). So, at the appointment, I'll discuss my hormones and insulin with the endo.

My cholestorel came back high BUT my LDL AND HDL were both fine and the cholestorel to HDL ratio wasn't high. So I just have naturally high cholestorel but with good HDL levels, it shouldn't matter.

Anyway, I've decided that my decision to distrust docs was the right one when I made it at the tender age of 16. But I'm still going to give this endo a shot. If s/he's incompetent, I'll just give up on the whole profession.

5. Maggie Sugar

Oh, sweetie, I'm glad to help, I don't need payment. I appreciate your thanks, that's all that matters.

Don''t give up on doctors. There are some really great ones out there, they just need to be found.

My client from yesterday got a referal from me to have her baby's tongue tie clipped (the kid REALLY needed it) and I feel I'll give up on doctors if this doc, who I TRUST doesn't do it.

Let's wait until all the results come back, and I'll do some more research. Metobolic Syndrom seems to be a "catch all" diagnosis, which is very similiar to PCOS. I am betting it will put into the same catagory very soon.

Here's the thing, your prolactin levels WILL be high, as you are still lactating a little. They will have to go on your insulin levels, your sugar ect. How were your Triglicerides? This is different than cholesterol. I am betting they are high.

We'll talk later. I am going to look and see what alternatives there are to Glucophage.

6. HippyFreek2004

My doc wasn't worried about my cholestorel. But my insulin was *slightly* elevated, so she prescribed a small dose of metformin and told me to go to the endo so they can better diagnose me. Right now, I don't have PCOS or metabolic syndrome in their eyes.

However, I remember when I was 11, I was diagnosed with high cholestorel. Everything else, my hormones and things, were tested and all came back normal. And then I started my period.

After starting my period, my cholestorel was normal and all my other levels f*cked up major. Is it possible that because I haven't been a menstruating woman for over 10 months, that my chemicals are still out of whack? Like not fully recovered from pregnancy?

7. Maggie Sugar

Your cholesterol will be higher when you are pregnant and for months afterward. Your triglycerides are different, and one of the diagnostic criteria for Metobolic Syndrome. Make sure the doc knows about your problems with Glucophage, but I hope a smaller dose might be the answer.

Is your thyroid normal? Did they do all 4 tests? Even "A little low" can be a problem.

The insulin could point to both diagnoses (people don't have insulin resistance in normal situations) and the Glucophage may help you a lot, if you can take it.

I hope things get better.

8. Dakota's Mom

Dakota's Mom Senior Member

I know what you mean about not trusting the medical profession. The only reason I still go is to get my meds for the diabetes and blood pressure. My blood pressure has been totally normal since I've been on this med. I may be able to do without it, but the diabetes meds I can't do without. I can't keep the sugar levels down with the meds. I take 2000 mgs of Glugophage a day plus 10 mgs of glybuteride. My numbers are still over 150 most days.

Yesterday I tried to talk to my doctor about some new problems. She just blew me off. So incompetent. I hate docs all the way around.

I hope they get to the root of your problems soon. They'll probably just say there's nothing wrong it's all in your head. Just know that we support you. Whether those crackpots do or not.

Kathi

9. HippyFreek2004

I know they'll probably blow me off when I explain my medical history. Things like my hormone history don't happen in normal physiology and so therefore, I must be lying...

Just like my mom was lying about her stomach being on the other side of her body...She went in for something and they were doing some scans and saw that yes, her stomach really IS on the other side of her body and therefore causing problems. Dipshits.

You'd think they'd trust us to know our own bodies better than them!

10. HippyFreek

HippyFreek Vintage Member

So, finally went to see the endocrinologist.

She said, due to the physical evidence, I most definitely have PCOS and not metabolic syndrome. She decided to run some more tests on me.

And found, so far, that I'm anemic.

And the glucophage really hasn't done much more than give me bad midnight tummy aches. No change on the boobs. :( But now I know what to do next time I'm expecting, if that ever happens again!

11. Maggie Sugar

It may take a few weeks for the Gluco to help. And extra stimulation may help, if it's something you are able to do. Anemia can also cause problems with supply. I KNEW it was PCOS and wasn't met syn.....but doctors can't go on hunches. At least you know, now. It must be a relief!

Are you feeling better, sweetie? Still worried about you.

12. HippyFreek

HippyFreek Vintage Member

I'm a lot better. The car accident actually put us in a better position financially, once we bought a cheaper car. So now we're able to get married without worrying about affording it.

Plus, now that I'm not spending all of my time obsessing about my breasts and their inability to nourish my little one, I'm able to enjoy her a lot more. I'm still looking into donated milk (using milkshare standards for private donation). I'm not giving up on her getting milk because I don't want her to have to suffer through immunizations yet.

13. Maggie Sugar

((((((((((((((((Holly))))))))))))))))))

I am so glad you are feeling better. :) :) :) :)

14. TARABELLE

TARABELLE on the road less traveled

That's wonderful news! Let me know how I can help!