Grieving Breastfeeding...

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by HippyFreek2004, Jun 9, 2006.

1. barefoot_kirstyn

barefoot_kirstyn belly flop

It should really be the other way around. Formula should be a perscription only thing.
    In canada, we have some of those 'milk rings' but they're hard to come by, sadily.

2. HippyFreek2004

HippyFreek2004 changed screen name

it's over....i can't get in with an endo until july....by then, it's going to be too late...i'm just beside myself now....

3. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

Breathe, honey, breathe. You are gonna be OK. Just do what you have to do to take care of Moira. It's gonna be OK.

God, I need to hug you. :(

4. Zakkysmama

Zakkysmama Member

Sometimes you can get into at Endo if you have a Dr call in a referral for you. I know when I got in with mine, my GYN called and got me a next day appt, as opposed to callign myself and waiting until July. Worth a shot at least. :) I just started reading this board and I am terribly sorry you are having so much trouble. I bottle fed my boys, and fortunately didn't have any trouble getting in the same type of bonding and special time with them. They are all very healthy and totally mommy's boys.
    I also have PCOS, and am on Glucophage, and it has been the best thing since I have been on it. We were trying to have another baby, when I found out I had PCOS. My Endo put me on the Glucophage to help with the Insulin Resistance, and he told me that it could possibly help me with trying to get pg as well....we'll see. I do know several people that happened to, so I'm hoping to be like that as well.
    Good luck with trying to get in to see an Endocrinologist-hopefully soon. :) Maybe they'll get a cancellation and you can get in quickly!

Brandi

5. HippyFreek2004

this was with a referral

6. Zakkysmama

Zakkysmama Member

Oh wow, that does suck! I'm sorry. I'll hope that they get a cancellation for ya!

7. HippyFreek2004

cant give up...not yet...i'[ll find an endo if it kills me

8. HippyFreek2004

I've decided this is now a fight with insurance companies...I got an appointment for the 28th of June...still too far out, but I've also been contacting referral offices, other endos, my doc...I'm trying to do this....

I don't consider this fight over until I've taken the gluc and it doesn't work...
    If I feel even the slightest change in my milk supply with the gluc, you can bet I'll start trying to relactate.

9. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

good for you, by god. that's awesome. you stick to it. how you feeling? you're not letting stress get you all wound up are you? when i'd get all freaky and wierded out, i'd just cuddle extra.

10. HippyFreek2004

YAY! I went for a quick swim to calm myself and when i came back, I had a call from the referral office.

I have fasting labs tomorrow morning to help expedite the process. My referral has also been labeled URGENT. They're trying every hospital and available endo in the area to see how quickly they can get me in.

And just think. I almost gave up this morning.

11. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

WOOHOOO!!!! you're strength in adversity is inspiring. you kick ass.

12. Zakkysmama

Zakkysmama Member

I am so thrilled for you! hopefully they will get you in soon with an Endo.

13. icedteapriestess

icedteapriestess linguistic freak

You ROCK! This is sooo exciting! Kick ass and take names Babe!

14. barefoot_kirstyn

barefoot_kirstyn belly flop

wow, you're one hell of a fighter! :D
    You're doing so awsome!
    I wish you all the luck possible!

15. Maggie Sugar

Good job! Sometimes you have to push insurance companite. They seem to think that Heath is just an other business.

Good luck, honey.

16. HippyFreek2004

Lab results in:

I have a high glucose level...almost at high limit...

I have a low prolactin level (no shit)...

And I have (this is a surprise) a very low thyroid level...

and...this one sucks..my testosterone level is extremely high. It should be less than twenty units. It's 31 units. :(

17. Maggie Sugar

Hmmmm, sounds like......PCOS. As well as Hypothyroid. What are they going to try, Holly? High Test is really common with PCOS, even in womyn who are not hairy or "butch." I have had clients who freaked out, when I mentioned this, thinking they were going to grow a beard or become a lesbian or something, has nothing to do with it. :rolleyes:

The Glucophage is helpful for the sugar as well as the high Test, if I am not mistaken. Getting on some Armour Thyroxin can really not only help with energy, weight control and skin and hair dryness, it can increase milk production.

Let me do some more research, tomorrow. (Have to get Sage to bed, had too good of a time with Grandpas, she's exhausted, and when she is exhausted, she gets really realy hyper...)

It'll be OK, hon. I am so glad you were able to see the doc so soon.

Blessings and healing.

18. hummblebee

hummblebee hipstertist.

Maggie's right - Glucophage has been shown to help with sugar AND test. levels. At this point it's pretty surely your best next step (and with the high glucose you shouldn't have a prob getting it prescribed!)

I don't know how this might come into play, but I've known a lot of docs to prescribe oral BC to help control PCOS. It regulates your hormones and whatnot, and has had a lot of success when used in conjunction with Glucophage. Again, I don't know how this might work with bfing, etc. Just occurred to me to put it out there!

You're sooo strong, and so loving, and such a good mommy. That will come through in this, no matter what! ((((hugs)))) Keep fighting the good fight!

19. mamaboogie

mamaboogie anarchist

metformin/glucophage has some scary side effects for some people. BCP may help with the pcos, but will definitely dry up what milk is left. ((((((hugs))))))) at least you are getting closer to some answers!!

20. HippyFreek2004

I hated glucophage the last time I took it. It created some terrible mental side effects in me. I was changing mood every 5 minutes and occasionally found myself either very close to or actually harming myself or someone else without even thinking it was at all bad.

So before I go on it, I'll explain this to the doc. I think it might have been too big of a dose for my needs, last time. And if I am better monitored this time, It'll be better.