Greta Thunberg

Discussion in 'U.K. Politics' started by Dax, Feb 28, 2020.

1. granite45

granite45 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I’m not that old, but I can remember when the population of planet Earth was 2.5 billion. That’s a 3 fold increase up until now. Of course that can’t continue ad infinitum and the issue was raised repeatedly as far back as the 60s. Great post.

Joshua Van likes this.
  2. Pearl^Grrl

Pearl^Grrl Members

It’s just a nice little distraction for people to coo over and give ‘hope’ whilst companies busy themselves in the background green washing everything and Boris dumps all our plastic overseas..she really is making such an impact, not a novelty gimmick at all…until she came along teenagers really hadn’t worried about this stuff at all..she couldn’t possibly be a PR stunt herself, oh no…:tongueclosed:

granite45 and Joshua Van like this.
  3. Joshua Van

Joshua Van JoshuaMN

4. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

She's a young lady that is expressing her opinion, which if some of you think her opinion is wrong----check the science. Check the fires that are more frequent, check what is being said about the Great Barrier Reef, about coral worldwide, about the rise in average temperatures worldwide, the fires in Russia's far north, the rising seas already affecting some small island groups in the south pacific, the extreme drought in the western states---oh yeah--they are opening more and more of the Amazon for development--on and on and on. And yes--most teenagers haven't given a shit about climate change until the last decade or so. We're heading for chaos with the population continuing to increase, if certain corporations don't smarten up and and you deniers don't change your tune. IMO--unchecked capitalism is going to kill us all if some adjustments are not made.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
  5. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Covid-19 is working on it…..

scratcho likes this.
  6. Pearl^Grrl

Pearl^Grrl Members

wow…i was exhausted just reading that…and sorry I don’t believe anyone here has actually denied climate change?! Nope definitely not me…also, Science and opinion aren’t actually the same thing.there total opposites in fact ..soo is she giving her opinion or stating facts? Mass hysteria never helped any cause and since Britain doesn’t recycle even half it’s plastic waste, I’m not holding much hope on a poster child saving the world…we can’t even save humanity let alone the planet! And to vaguely quote George Carlin - the planets doing just fine! It was here millions of years before us; and it’ll be here millions after..haha…

7. scratcho

Greenland lost 16 billion tons of ice Wednesday. Enough to cover Florida in 4 inches of water. Over 500 billion tons in 2019. Plastic showing up in fish-----Aww ---what's the use? You're right--it's just mass hysteria. Everything is fine.
    And in fact the earths eco systems would be much better off if humans time on earth was up. Relax and of course remember--BUY MORE. BUY MORE NOW.

granite45, hotwater and Joshua Van like this.
  8. Joshua Van

Joshua Van JoshuaMN

One thing that needs to make a come back is how my grandparents generation did things. they did recycling before it was a trendy thing to do. They never threw away anything that could be reused or repurposed for something else. If something of my grandpas broke he fixed it instead of buying new. He often went to the dump to scavenge for reusable parts. Now in our infinite wisdom it is illegal to take thing from the dump to reuse. When it should be illegal to throw anything away that can be reused or repurposed. I try to live by his example. I never replace anything that i can fix or use for parts on future projects

scratcho likes this.
  9. Pearl^Grrl

Pearl^Grrl Members

Are you confusing mass hysteria with climate change denial?! I think so…

10. granite45

granite45 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Scratcho is right on. Unfortunately his sarcasm is the current state of affairs. I have seen a number of climate change denial posts on this forum.
    The stakes are so high that everything anybody can do is essential. As far as Greta’s impact see post number 428 in this thread. It his her generation that will pay the price for the greed, laziness, stupidity, expediency of our generation.

scratcho, Tyrsonswood and Joshua Van like this.
  11. Joshua Van

Joshua Van JoshuaMN

as well as the major droughts being experienced in the USA. Take Lake Mead for example.
    Lake Mead hits lowest water levels in history amid severe drought in the West

Soon American states may have to consider total evacuation. As well as othe places around the world. Due to lack of water as well as heat being to high to safely survive. This summer has seen the hottest July in recorded history.
    It’s official: July was Earth’s hottest month on record | National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration

Whether or not you agree that part of this is human caused. It is still happening and we all are going to feel it in some way or another. Even those who are lucky to live in places that are less effected. Because when climate refugees start fleeing in mass. Were do you think they are going to go. That's right they are coming to were you live.

We are watching whole towns wiped of the map by fires and floods all over the planet. Every continent is fighting major fires today. China And Europe have had record breaking flooding in the last couple of months destroying all or parts of towns that have stood for hundreds of years. The horrid air quality due to smoke from all these fires is also going to have a lasting health effects on a lot of us I the whole of the USA, Most of Canada and Mexico have been covered i thick smoke for in some cases weeks From fires that could be over 1500 miles away. The closet fire to were i live was over 200 miles away and we had days were visibility was less then 1/4 mile we were warned to stay inside.

It sometimes feels like the human race wants to die as to many people think doing nothing to help ourselves is ok. I blame a lot of it on religion as religions like Christianity an Islam Teach that our future is in heaven and the earth doesn't mater. When we have 0 real proof of any Gods existence But enough scientific evidence for climate change to fill as stadium.

scratcho and granite45 like this.
  12. scratcho

Yes, capitalism and any other form of human society that relies on the endless quest for MORE and MORE possessions and the equally endless extraction of and the the using of , the resources that enable such behavior need to be curtailed. I'm not a Luddite, but in order to change or forestall the inevitable chaos that even now is starting to manifest---human society as a whole is going to have to make radical changes based on what is best for the health of the earth and the sentient beings on it. A start: FREE BIRTH CONTROL WORLD WIDE.

granite45 and Joshua Van like this.
  13. Varmint

Varmint Member

Have you wondered why so many of us don't believe your climate change nonsense? The aforementioned blurb is just one example. If what you say were true, Florida would already be under 4 inches of water. Notice now that Florida is doing just fine and is NOT under 4" of water at all. The entire world can see by this that none of you climate change believers are grounded in scientific truth. This is why you sound like a bunch of whack-jobs to the rest of us. Try....just TRY, for once, to present some REAL proof of your claims before playing Chicken Little. This makes you all look like loons.

That is my opinion. You are entitled to ignore it.You are NOT, however, entitled to be unoffended or hurt by it. Welcome to America, where freedom of speech is more important than anyone's pretended "right" to not be offended or any unscientific claims intended to cause panic and stress.

scratcho likes this.
  14. Joshua Van

Joshua Van JoshuaMN

real proof you say here is some
    Is sea level rising?
    New NASA interactive tool shows how sea level rise could affect where you live
    All one has to do is read and do a little research and be willing to have your beliefs challenged. But that's very hard form some people to do. But facts dont care about feelings.
    As sea levels rise, Venice fights to stay above the waterline
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/clim...9/boston-prepares-rising-seas-climate-change/

And when "scratcho" said it would cover Florida in 3 inches of water they meant. It would cover an area the size of Florida in that much water. Not that sea levels raised by that much in 1 day.

A big chunk of the world is burning other parts are flooding if your eyes can see if your nose can smell the smoke you can tell things are changing and it isn't in a good way

scratcho, DrRainbow and Rotten Willie like this.
  15. scratcho

Ahh--that's OK. When that--there Varmint is standing in water up to his ass with his hair on fire--he will repent!:):)

Joshua Van likes this.
  16. scratcho

17. Varmint

Varmint Member

now THAT right there is funny! I agree things are getting worse, and I firmly believe they'll continue to do so for the time being. I don't for a minute think that anything you or I do will affect things significantly, nor do I believe world government will be able to stop what's coming. I DO, however, believe that a lot of the things coming are temporary in nature. I DON'T believe the "end of the world" is coming for at least another thousand years or more. Panic all you want. It will do no good to fret.

And, since you brought up the idea of repenting, I can say with confidence that "Except you repent, you will all likewise perish".
    I think Jesus meant what He said far more than we realize.

scratcho likes this.
  18. Joshua Van

Joshua Van JoshuaMN

O i see as you point out believing Jesus was anything more than a guy who may or may not have lived 2,000 years ago. Your ancient text written by what we would by todays standers consider barley literate savages is the word of a god you have no proof of. Isn't a good thing to bring up if you are looking to have your thoughts on modern provable scientific data take seriously.

19. Varmint

Varmint Member

You seem to have flunked english and history. Did you get past third grade or was your intelligence wiped out by one of our modern-day snobatoriums we call "universities"...?

20. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter