Greta Thunberg

Discussion in 'U.K. Politics' started by Dax, Feb 28, 2020.

1. granite45

granite45 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

First of all, my experience with the political scene in Idaho is that it’s not exactly known as a center of rational and objective thought. Then the ludicrous idea that humans are not, can not change the climate of earth is ignorant beyond belief...it ignores the chemistry and physics of CO2 and a massive amount of empirical data collected around the globe....it’s like saying that the tiny amount of radiation in a plutonium speck can’t possibly hurt you or that small amount of lead in Flint’s water is safe......the protocols for limiting covid spread are a hoax. I wonder what it will take to bring the light of science to such nonsense.

2. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

Science is only a discipline . Rational is of philosophy . Recycle all you possess and give it the poor , then
    pollute the earth no more .

3. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

TrudginAcrossTheTundra Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

See, these folks aren't about halting their own contributions to the atmosphere and landfill. No, what they're about is controlling your behavior. They're about coming up with any scheme that can be perpetrated on the people, no matter how ridiculous, they just need to throw out a bunch of scientific sounding stuff, cherry pick some data, say if we don't make drastic changes fast then we're headed for certain disaster. Throw in a few pictures of a concept of a destroyed planet, and boom (no pun intended) they suddenly have an audience of people who are 1) truly scared, or 2) want to see all those who've done better than themselves taken down so they can feel better about their failures.

Remember, truth and vision = "right wing bullshit".
    When you see the latter, know it means the former.

Mustard Tiger and Very Fast Car like this.
  4. Dax

Dax Members

You know you got it dude ... Start speaking for yourself & leave the left wing rhetoric behind. IOW think for yourself and don't follow popular leftist opinion cos it will lead you up a dark alley from which there may be no return. Think about it.

5. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Dax, Tyrsons is like 70 (I think)... Do you really think he's following like a sheep? :worried:

6. Dax

Dax Members

So being like 70 doesn't necessarily mean you cannot be brainwashed.

7. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

I do...

Now,

If you think it's perfectly fine to pollute this planet as much as possible in as short a timespan as possible and it's not going to have an effect this planet, you are wrong. This is not an "opinion". This is a fact.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
    ZenKarma likes this.
  8. soulcompromise

I don't think that's the case here in this instance.

And Greta Thunberg is a very charismatic individual. She's saying a lot of what's on other people's minds with regard to the situation with the environment.

Lot of people - scientists included - are concerned about a warming trend in the climate of the globe.

9. Dax

Dax Members

I hear you Tyrson. Perhaps I should have clarified my stance on this child better. Even if a gazillion Gretas across the globe tried, they cannot at this stage stop climate change. I don't deny that climate change is taking place. I never have but it is way too late to stop it now. It is inevitable. It has happened many times in the past and it will continue happening when all of us are gone. Greta is making no difference.

10. soulcompromise

I think though that if enough voices are heard - through voting and activism both - there can be implemented policy that defines industry standard behavior such that pollution becomes a decreasing factor rather than an increasing one, and the effects of global warming will be reversed.

Greta Thunberg is revered, but she's not alone. I stand with her. So do lots of others. We want the environment to be safe from industry - safe from all of us really; not just picking on corporate elements.

11. Dax

Dax Members

A noble cause Mr Soul. However the destiny of the world is not driven by the Greta Thunbergs of our time. It is big pharma and others who run the show. If Ms Thunberg donated a gazillion dollars to the campaign of the next President of the USA her voice might possibly be heard. Sounds cynical I know but thats the way things work in the real world.

12. soulcompromise

We can still change the rules Mr. Dax. If the Big Pharmas of the world are required to Cap and Trade or otherwise decrease pollution - emissions, etc. - then we effectively curb the impact of economic prosperity. :)

13. Dax

Dax Members

So who is gonna get them to do that?. Money makes the world go around as sung in the show "Cabaret."

14. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Effect on this planet

15. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

Affect the effect . What ya gonna do , be energy poor or be prosperous and invest in better energy tech ?
    Personally , exist . Tech is at work , don't starve them .

16. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

Some of you haven't been around long enough to see it. But pollution is way down over the last fifty years. Waterways much clearer and way fewer toxins, chemical vapors and particular matter in the atmosphere greatly reduced. Trash deposits more localized, processed, and dispositioned in a much more environmentally friendly manner than ever before. And that's not just in the US, but also quite noticeable in the "developing" countries I've frequented. It's observable. In drastic fashion. Cruise ships used to toss all their trash overboard while out at sea. They'd dump all their raw sewage from all those happy passengers in the open sea. Not now. It's a much cleaner world.
    People complaining about how we're polluting the environment are not caught up. I'd hate to see their bitching result in a backlash. That's what happens when people senselessly complain about things that are already being addressed. Instead, people should praise the initiatives already taken - that's what spurs people to continue their efforts. Empty-headed nagging that they haven't done enough just motivates them to say fuck it, nobody appreciates what we're doing. So let's do our best with our own part at being good stewards, and be appreciative of others doing the same so the practice is encouraged.
    #quitcherbichin

17. ~Zen~

~Zen~ California Tripper Administrator

I don't know what tundra someone is trudging across but the world is NOT cleaner than it was 50 years ago...and pollution is spewing in vaster quantities than ever.

I could show you a lot of evidence but apparently your mind is made up and can not be changed.

Bitching about the problem is a start, doing something is better.

Criticizing an obsessed teenager for championing a cause is beneath contempt, I believe Greta was very brave. Obviously at her age she had help from Dad and Mom, but if she were my child I would certainly be at her side advising her and protecting her from the evil forces out there.

18. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

Well, there's certainly nothing wrong with "championing a cause" - that's quite admirable, in fact.

What's worthy of criticism is when kids get disrespectful to their elders and to authority. That kinda negates whatever good cause they may be championing. It disrupts zen and propels negative karma.

If championing a cause, ya kinda don't have a case unless you can be persuasive. And it's kinda hard to be persuasive when just hurling insults and propaganda. Just look at these latest political contenders "oh the other side handled everything poorly, I can clearly do better" without a hint to specifics and then make claims that are easily proven to be lies.

This girl is clearly sincere, but she's entirely emotional and shows no sign of having dug deeply into her pet peeve issue that she's so adamantly certain about. In the end she's just one more voice who's super sure they know enough to speak authoritatively, except this time she hadn't finished high school even.

If political money gets to a scientist and sways his opinion, when he presents it to the world at least his supporters can say look he's got a PhD. Does Asperger's count as an earned education in the sciences? You'd almost think some people believe so. If it's one thing we've learned by now it should be how people can be absolutely certain, speak adamantly, and yet still be totally wrong. It's everywhere!

So no, you rightfully have to criticize voices that call out to upend life as we know it and call for drastic change. The price of not doing so is simply too great.

riverman18 likes this.
  19. soulcompromise

With Greta, I don't think it's authority that she has issues with. It's easy to say that about her, but I believe there's more going on there, and she understands the problem with older generations vs. newer ones: there's a disconnect - a major difference in philosophy that has the one willing to make sacrifice in the name of a greener future, and the other sacrificing the environment for the sake of the economy.

I think that the reality that's slapping us in the face now is that we need to find a way to keep plastic out of the ocean, and resist the temptation to say that it's only natural that temperatures are rising/glacier melting/coral bleaching. We've got to believe that weather patterns are influenced by human actions - it's no longer an act of God because we have the knowledge. Now we need the courage to do something different. To believe in ourselves and our own science. And to stop waiting for "conclusive" or "evident" damages. How long do you want to measure a sustained change in temperature and weather before you conclude that "Yep, it was us."?

20. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

When some people are up to their asses in water with their hair on fire---they'll still claim it to be a natural occurrence---don't panic--all is well.