Greedy 'Royals' again!!!

Discussion in 'U.K. Politics' started by Vladimir Illich, Sep 27, 2019.

1. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Have passport, Gatwick 30 minutes away - can fly to anyone of those that I choose.

2. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

Methinks that if one is quoting history Vlad, then one should look at the events of 1649-1653.
    There was a significant turning point in English history where the removal of Royal state was replaced by the common man. That process since has got us to where we are today - albeit there was/is and for those with more panoramic vision for the Country, will ever know, that there is a need for a consistent lead of a nation who is respected

3. WOLF ANGEL

Good luck to you - let us know how you get on :)

4. Vladimir Illich

A situation which I would want repeated. Perhaps we can borrow guillotines from our neighbours across the Channel.

5. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

At the current rate of progress, China and India will own the entire western world a few decades from now.
    We are just too stupid to see it coming.

6. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Sadly, that is not always true.
    Last year, Google claimed that UK government restrictions on advertising lost them 50 million. The previous year they paid tax on less than I million.

Companies like that are a far greater drain on the UK than our royal family, who indirectly bring billions of pounds into the UK. Taxes from the hotels around Buckingham Palace that accommodate American and Japanese tourists would probably pay for Andrews wedding in less than a day. One of these hotels charges £17,000 a night.

PS, I am not a particular fan of Andrew, but all families have their baggage.

7. WOLF ANGEL

What ? the French?!?! - (Where my favourite words are Waterloo, Crecy and; of course - Agincourt :) )
    Still, as you are so disappointed with the UK system, want a Republic (and have passport to hand) should I say "Au revoir"

8. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

The Queen Mother already graciously volunteered the royals should pay taxes for the first time in history. Only a fool would think they can micromanage how the royals spend money. They should write a book, on how to become obscenely wealthy learning how to wave graciously to the crowd. Even Disneyland still struggles with that one and is envious.

9. Vladimir Illich

So instead of leaving, we improve (change) the system. Dispense with Mrs Windsor and her brood, abolish the HoL, establish a directly elected second chamber, establish a directly elected President (my choice for first President would be Ken Livingstone).

10. WOLF ANGEL

I don't get your problem with the Royals - whom you seem to think have financial, legal and government power(?!?)
    Re: the monitoring of Parliament removed and another elected - replacement of one with another? how would that work? the funding required for campaigning and representation would have to come from some source which would lean towards sponsorship that comes from either a Party, and therefore double the trouble of Private/corporate funding and all that comes with financial input.
    (Against that of the Privy purse? - I highly doubt that if those figures match up)
    As for a President - Red Ken? - Whilst the job he did in the Capital City was notable - those citizens decided that Boris was better -so what happened there then?
    This is the U.K. (a Country, a Nation and a land of diversity) not a state that is dictated to by the personal desires of a leadership that advocates separatism, capitalism, corporate and not people preference.

11. Vladimir Illich

We've been here before haven't we ??? Since Mrs Windsor is an unelected monarch, we have no control over her or indeed any other previous monarch. If we don't like her, she cannot be removed, whereas an elected President will serve for a limited time period and then will need to seek re-approval of the electorate, and no, ABSOLUTELY NO private or corporate funding !!!

12. WOLF ANGEL

Further to this - rather than wishing to live in a Republic
    What are you doing to change in a practical sense? Involving yourself in Party Politics? Protesting against what you feel is a wrong with the Country's lead or other means of productive contribution?

13. Vladimir Illich

Exactly so !!!

14. WOLF ANGEL

So are you saying that all country's woes are down to our Monarchy? - and their removal and replacement with a body based on a vote from an apathetic electorate would make it all right? - I do not believe so

15. WOLF ANGEL

Good - It' better to walk the walk than just talk the talk - what exactly are you doing?

16. Vladimir Illich

Pondering on what I can eat for my 'tea'

17. WOLF ANGEL

Ah so - Nothing then - So it seems you are shouting in (another) voice from the sidelines that enjoys complaining and shouting the blame game upon others that have more decorum that to stoop to the lowness of Party politics, and is backwards, in coming forward with any practical, progressive and positive action.

18. Boozercruiser

Boozercruiser Kenny Lifetime Supporter

That is Bad Vlad all over WOLF and you have him off pat to a 'T'.
    The poor bloke is rather Sad as well as Bad! :grin:

19. Vladimir Illich

Who pulled your plonker ??? - piss off !!! and incidentally you are both wrong. I have been instrumental in changing legislation several times and caused the Government additional funding for the DWP

20. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor