Greatest all time American actor

Discussion in 'Movie Stars' started by Jezmund, Dec 17, 2005.

1. timewarp

timewarp Member

I'm not surprised to see De Niro and uncle Al up there against Brando...thery're AWESOME actors......but I voted Marlon B.

2. Razorofoccam

Razorofoccam Banned

Underdog

Occam

3. themnax

themnax Senior Member

now i'm supposed to not only remember actors names but what country their from too?

writers tell storys. tecnicians and visual artists make visual presentations out of them.

actors are just high priced props. which is not to deny that it's an honest living. more or less. as far as i know. but i'm not all that impressed by acting as an art form. which is also not trying to deny the challanges of it. but i still don't see it as contributing as much to the story experiencing experience as writing and tecnical production.

=^^=
    .../\...

4. AlekasAttic

AlekasAttic Member

river phoenix, obv.

5. TriCo

TriCo Member

Mel Gibson here...

6. Don Juan

Don Juan Member

I chose Robert DeNiro but I would of picked Johnny Depp if he was on the list.

7. zillagod

zillagod Member

There are so many to choose from, and most of the greatest ones are not in the poll. So hard to choose just one, but if I had to, I would say Henry Fonda.

8. Mr. Mojo Risin'

Mr. Mojo Risin' Senior Member

Out of that list, Pacino.

9. blackcat666

blackcat666 Senior Member

none of them!

10. def zeppelin

def zeppelin All connected

Acting certainly is an art form. It takes a lot of artistic charisma to take a bunch of text from a screenplay and to turn that into a living breathing person. The actor needs to truly understand the controlling idea behind the screenplay and what his character represents and expresses throughout the film. Finding out ways to express these ideas in a meaningful and realistic way, not only is challenging, but requires great artistic charisma as well.

One of the cardinal rules to writing a screenplay is to not overly express what each character is doing. The point of this is to allow artistic freedom to be expressed by the actor. That alone proves that acting should be respected as an art form.

If you have somebody with absolutely no understanding of human nature, then don't expect that person to materialize and to actualize the characters from a script. The deeper understanding of self will definitely bring in a deeper understanding of human nature, and the deeper the understanding, the better the performance.

Actors aren't just props, definitely not.

Bilby likes this.
  11. surreal_charm

surreal_charm Member

Robert De Niro - he has a kind of charisma that i can't find in any other actor. his personality seems to have a language of its own.

12. OptimisticFutureBlues

OptimisticFutureBlues Member

Okay no Jack Nicholson? Really?

13. mike_003

mike_003 Guest

14. davidchatman

davidchatman Guest

Jonathan Taylor Thomas for sure.

15. chrisdotdo

chrisdotdo Member

Edward Norton

16. chrisdotdo

chrisdotdo Member

Nah mate, he's an Aussiemerican now.

17. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

No mention of William Holden. He usually played the same type of character of a cynical, straight shooter who would lecture another character and leave them speechless.Examples:

In The Bridge on the River Kwai
    " You make me sick with your heroics! There's a stench of death about you. You carry it in your pack like the plague. Explosives and L-pills - they go well together, don't they? And with you it's just one thing or the other: destroy a bridge or destroy yourself. This is just a game, this war! You and Colonel Nicholson, you're two of a kind, crazy with courage. For what? How to die like a gentleman... how to die by the rules - when the only important thing is how to live like a human being.

and from Network,
    " You're television incarnate, Diana: Indifferent to suffering; insensitive to joy. All of life is reduced to the common rubble of banality. War, murder, death are all the same to you as bottles of beer. And the daily business of life is a corrupt comedy. You even shatter the sensations of time and space into split seconds and instant replays."

18. Country girl

Country girl Member

where is Paul Newman?
    i'll have to go with Brando.

19. MrSpankHappy

MrSpankHappy Member

Brando was fantastic, but my pick is DeNiro

20. sbasic2

sbasic2 Member

deniro, norton and nicholson...