Great Artists You Saw Live

Discussion in 'Old Hippies' started by Ethel Murtz, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Ethel Murtz

Ethel Murtz Members

Hello new here, blah blah.

I'm 61. When I was in Jr High in SoCal, around 66-68, I had a cousin whose dad always bought us tickets to shows at the Anaheim Convention Center. In this manner I was able see all kinds of now-classic artists and groups, including Buffalo Springfield, The Merry Go Round ( they had a hit - Live!), Jimi Hendrix, The Doors...hmm seems like some more but that's all I can think of right now.

Also, I had a different uncle who got my brother and I tickets to both days of the Newport Pop Festival in Newport Beach in 1968. I'll never forget that one. It was the first time I ever smoked pot, and the first time I had ever experienced true hippies. It was at the OC fairgrounds and just flat, festival seating. We were to the front left of stage, and I remember I turned around and I was right in the middle of all these Hell's Angels. There must have been 100 of them, and all their bikes were parked right there with them, all around me. It was hot and their girls were walking around topless, some completely naked. Keep in mind I was 15 years old, the hippies and Angels weren't much older, like older brothers and sisters. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven.

Anyway here is the lineup. I remember Blue Cheer did Summertime Blues and broke their amps and guitars up like The Who. Paul Butterfield was memorable even back then:

FIRST DAY: Tiny Tim, Jefferson Airplane, Country Joe and the Fish, Grateful Dead, Chambers Brothers, Charles Lloyd, James Cotton Blues Band, Quicksilver Messenger Service, and the Byrds.

SECOND DAY: Alice Cooper, Steppenwolf, Sonny and Cher, Canned Heat, Electric Flag, Butterfield Blues Band, Eric Burdon and the Animals, Blue Cheer, Iron Butterfly, Illinois Speed Press and Things to Come.

What greats from the past did you get to see?

3 people like this.
  2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Didn't you post this exact same thing in another thread?

1 person likes this.
  3. Terrapin2190

Terrapin2190 I am nature.

I haven't seen a whole lot of the great ones play live. Though, I have seen AC/DC, George Thurogood (on a few occasions), and a few members of The Grateful Dead and String Cheese Incident sitting in with different bands at a local festival.

One band from the newer generation I was glad to have seen was Garaj Mahal. They weren't very well known and honestly, I didn't care for their music at first. It was one of those shows you walk into with friends, no idea who's on stage, and they were sort of a mix of progressive rock and... I want to say Indian or Middle Eastern pop/rock/jazz?? Plus, I didn't really have a taste for progressive rock at the time since the only bands of the genre I knew of or listened to were Tool and Yes. As I wandered around the venue and listened a bit more, they really started pumping out some fantastic sound! Sad to see they disbanded in 2008? 2010? Somewhere thereabouts. Even though I only saw them once, I enjoyed (and still enjoy their unique music) the show so much that I mark it down as an almost legendary experience.

I'd even go as far as to say it was up there with seeing all the members of SCI (minus Bill Nershi) playing their side projects at Camp Zoe. Not quite as legendary as seeing the actual band (which I still haven't done yet) or seeing them play with The Schwag (AMAZING local Grateful Dead tribute), but it was still quite a show.

1 person likes this.
  4. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

2 people like this.
  5. Blu3sLady

Blu3sLady Members

Wow.. you mentioned James Cotton in your list, Ethel. Haven't thought about him in years.

I met him once... back when dirt was young. He was playing a small blues club in Seattle. He sat with us between sets. We had a big table full of local musicians and somebody had played with him before, so he sat with us. He was a sweet and shy fellow... very quiet. And then, he'd get on stage and magic. Sheesh, the man could play.

Met several acts while working sound for a promoter. The best of that list would have to be Willie Nelson.

Fav shows: BB King, Joe Cocker/Leon Russell and the Shelter People, Bonnie Raitt , Santana

Acts from THIS century that I'd love to see live? .. heh. Pink! Did you see that special on AXS where she's singing WHILE doing impossible circus type acrobatics? I love her voice... especially when she does a bluesy tune. But, how the hell can you sing like that while you are twirling like mad thirty feet in the air?

This was a fun walk down memory lane. Thanks!

1 person likes this.
  6. Ethel Murtz

Ethel Murtz Members

Sorry that wasn't me. If this is a duplicate thread please merge/delete/whatever. I'm new here and still feeling my way around.

7. Ethel Murtz

Ethel Murtz Members

8. Ethel Murtz

Ethel Murtz Members

I am retired, but worked in film for 25 years. I kinda know Willie, have worked with him a couple of times and gotten high with him a few.

I worked with Pink when she very first got big. Filmed the video to her first hit, but screw me if I know it lol. I like her fine, just don't really follow her like that.

9. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I'm going to go with;

Metallica.

Because they're pretty great but probably the only "great" artist most would agree on from my musical taste and interests.

1 person likes this.
  10. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Yes, you did.

It's going to be deleted now.

1 person likes this.
  11. Ethel Murtz

Ethel Murtz Members

Oh, yes. I just re-read it. I thought he said I posted the same thread. I did post this in another thread then saw that no one had posted there since 2013, so I c/p'ed it here.

Better? :)

12. Aerianne

One, original post, is awesome. We do not allow multiple postings of the same content.

13. Ethel Murtz

Ethel Murtz Members

As I said, I'm new here. Do what you will. :)

14. Aerianne

15. Ethel Murtz

Ethel Murtz Members

16. Aerianne

You trippin'?

17. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Ahem...back to the topic.

Highlights for me (I've worked too damn many shows to recall them all) include Ravi Shankar, Ritchie Furay, Zero (man, I still miss Martin), Peter, Paul and Mary, Tom Paxton, Utah Phillips, picking around a campfire with Sam Bush, Yonder Mountain in a room for 600, max, SCI at Mishawaka 1999, and lots of Fareed Haque.
    So I can speak about Garaj Mahal!
    It's HindiJazz, if you ask the guitar player. And he calls the shots (but the drummer thought he did, so...
    Between Kai Eckhardt (bass) and Fareed (guitar and related stringed things) I was so blown away. I recall my then husband saying, "so many notes, too many notes..." But he was up there shaking his butt to Madonna...and boyo did Fareed have fun telling him what the song was. Snooty deadhead that he was.
    Check out Math Games, Fareed's new project.

2 people like this.
  18. Ethel Murtz

Ethel Murtz Members

Just delete my first post in the thread that no one has posted in since 2013. This isn't rocket surgery.
    Indian music is OK but I can only take so much of it. Droning one-key scales are not for everyone. But for your ex to say too many notes, as a Deadhead seems....well, downright silly.

19. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

hmm, let me think;

Yes (twice)
    Peter Frampton
    Gentle Giant
    the above 3 at one show

Aerosmith
    ZZ Top
    J Giels band
    Johnny & Edgar Winter

Lynyrd Skynyrd
    Ted Nugent
    Foreigner
    REO Speedwagon
    all same show

Boston

Harry Chapin (one of the best shows ever, small venue, maybe 250 people, sitting 10 feet from the stage.:))

and more that my old brain can't remember right now.....LOL

1 person likes this.
  20. iamjustme

iamjustme Wishful thinker HipForums Supporter

Lots...let's see...

Nazareth around 1985ish
    REO Speedwagon
    John Mellencamp
    AC/DC
    Scorpion...the worst concert ever. Let my friends talk me into it.
    Ozzy
    Dan Folgerberg
    Bob Segar...last concert I have been to actually...2011.

Others

1 person likes this.