Grateful Dead Vs. The Dead

Discussion in 'Flashbacks' started by tiki_god7, Jun 4, 2004.

1. wildfire

wildfire Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

well i have never seen a grateful dead or dead concert. hopefully i'll get to see the dead this summer though.

2. freedbypeace

freedbypeace A Woman Left Lonely

I saw the dead saturday and they rocked! I only wish I was alive to see the real thing!

3. dhs

dhs Senior Member

I saw the Grateful Dead about 30 times between 89' and 95' and I've seen The Other Ones, Phil and Friends, and The Dead a few times each. As it has been a very soul defying experience with the band since being blown away by my initial introduction at 9 years of age - Grateful Dead music has always been about evolution and that is the central component to their longevity. NO BAND, has had the kind of staying power completely absent of nostalgia than the Boys. When I go today, its not to relive my wonderful experiences when Jerry was alive - it's always been about hmmm, what is the next special moment that I will experience.

Someone posted early, there's no comparison between 60's - 70's Grateful Dead and 80's - 90's Grateful Dead.

I would take that a step further though - the beauty of this music, whether it is the beginning years with Pigpen all the way through Jerry's passing and beyond has always been about evolution. If you're a student of the band you can really sense / hear a difference in all of the music in periods of 18 months to 2 years and in some cases far shorter intervals - these small intervals were generally the result of a change at the Keys during the Grateful Dead era, but not always. Take a listen to 1979 then 1980 - very different sounds - 79' was somewhat Disco / Funk Dead, then they sorta swayed towards a more folk / rock approach. For me, the song that truly captures the evolution of the band is Eyes of the World - from the spacey jammed out versions of 73' - 74' to the more funky versions from 77' - 78' to somewhat shorter and punchier versions of the 80's and then the mellower often times longer meandering version of the 90's. 10/17/94 Eyes was over 25 minutes, I literally cried 3 times throughout the song during that wonderful night at MSG - I'm actually getting goose bumps thinking about it.

So, in essence, there really is no sense in comparing except to admire the beauty of the evolution and it is for this reason......

The Music Never Stopped

4. freedbypeace

my friend's dad- 66 shows

5. wildfire

wildfire Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

i think that i inherited my liking for the greatful dead and frank zappa from my father. see the good thing about this is that if you are ever caught smoking pot or doing anykind of drugs they have absolutely no grounds what so ever to yell at you on.

6. avacado_salesman

avacado_salesman Bath Water

I liked Brent.

7. freedbypeace

got my cd form the concert today! it rocked!

8. GanjaPrince

GanjaPrince Banned

I used to see jerry manifest on the astral plane, his spirit is everywhere, and when the dead play he is there, dancing, tune into the astral plane of limitless possibilities, and his presence with be there.

It's all a cosmic joke!

9. darkstar8413

darkstar8413 Member

The Grateful Dead isn't like any other band; they are the same as they were in '65 as they are today, playing as The Dead. It's not a question of the music and how the sounds go. Like someone said above, of course the music evolves. The Grateful Dead will always be the same miraculous band they always have been. I don't know about others but i sure as hell see AND feel Jerry and Ron EVERYtime The Dead play. I always see posts on here or hear people talking about The Grateful Dead and The Dead as if they are 2 totally different bands. How can we forget about Bobby and Phil and Mickey and Bill, just to name a few. They might be getting old physically but that doesn't change this group. The energy doesn't change or leave.

10. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

Living in the uk I get a different point of view. I saw the Grateful Dead only once, in 1982. It was great, but even then i felt the energy they had in the 60's and which comes through on the records, was fading. I doubt i'd go to see them now should they ever venture over here. In the USA perhaps the whole Dead phenomenon has long ago gone beyond music - seems to me as an onlooker that it's more a kind of whole culture.....no doubt though that they are some great musicians, and I expect even without Gerry they blow nearly everyone else off the map!

Love

BBB

11. littlewing88

littlewing88 Member

There definately is no comperison...The Greatful Dead of the 60'/70's is totally far-out and way more origional and I just love Jerry Garcia man. He's the best. He was a totally groovy guy man. He was a beautiful humanbeing.

12. burkie

burkie Member

With the G.D. I came for the music first and the friends and party second. With the Dead I go for the friends and party first and the music second. I can hardly wait for their Chinese tour to begin......

13. Jack_Straw2208

Jack_Straw2208 Senior Member

if anyone like the dead more than the greatful dead, they're wrong.

14. avacado_salesman

cant be wrong about your own personal tastes. I like GD better, but that doesnt mean others dont.

15. sprout

sprout DeadHead

I saw The Grateful Dead 3 times. All in 95'. My first show was in Birmingham,AL on spring tour and then we jumped on summer tour a few months later in Highgate,VT and I saw them there and then again in East Rutherford,NJ. Birmingham was sparkling! A very fine first show indeed. During the second set they gave us one of these

"That Would Be Something>Uncle Johns Band>Mathilda>Drums>"

Insanity!

....but ...uh...OH Yeah! As I was saying. The Grateful Dead with Jerry was something to behold even if the last years had moments where they struggled a bit. As DHS was saying earlier in the thread. If you really love them and pay attetion you notice all the changes that have taken place over the years. I could go on and on.......

The Dead on the other hand are a completely differant experience. I still think they are great, the jams are alot shorter but the setlists are something that you probably would never seen outta The Grateful Dead. I mean, on this last tour they played "The Golden Road"! Thats fucking insane!

You can see where age is still seeping in but everyone still knows exactly what they are doing. In fact I firmly believe that Billy and Mickey are getting better and tighter with age! I mean they fuckin' nailed it down! BAM!

I love these guys!

16. avacado_salesman

I saw them 3 times in 95. no wait, I decided to do the lot one day. I saw them twice in 95. they were coming to my home town when Jerry Died. mail order had already started

sigh. Heroine sucks.

17. Bohemian_Child

Bohemian_Child Member

im too young to have seen the Grateful Dead... well i guess im not but i never have, especially not in their peak. Though i have seen and heard recordings.

But either way, are you kidding? How can you even ask. Grateful Dead all the way. No comparison. Im a Dead fan too, dont get me wrong, but its all about the GD

18. LaurelBayTree

LaurelBayTree Senior Member

I saw the dead about 3 weeks ago with a friend of mine in Raleigh. We enjoyed it tremendously! We grooved to the jam sessions. I think my favorite part was the drum solo. Even though I did not get to see the Grateful Dead I will still treasure this because I did get to see a performance by some of the members. Another favorite part of mine was the people. They gave off such a groovy vibe. It was wonderful!

19. DrSpaceman

DrSpaceman Member

I saw the Grateful Dead once only. It was in 1970 at Temple Stadium. Maybe they got Owsley to do their "light show," because the stage lit up with pyrotechnics when they came out.