Grateful Dead Vs. The Dead

Discussion in 'Flashbacks' started by tiki_god7, Jun 4, 2004.

1. tiki_god7

tiki_god7 Member

Just curious here....I saw the dead last year and am going to again in a week.....am too young to have experience the grateful dead though.....has anybody here experienced both? and care to compare?

2. HappyChild

HappyChild Member

The Grateful Dead Vs. The Dead
    No comparison.

The Grateful Dead (60's and 70's) VS. The Grateful Dead (80's and 90's)
    No comparison.

3. GoodKarma

GoodKarma Member

I work with a guy that refuses to see the Dead because he feels it's sacreligous (spelling?) without Jerry Garcia...he use to follow the Grateful Dead. I am looking forward to seeing the Dead for the first time at Bonnaroo. I have been a fan for a long time but never got the chance to see them when Jerry was still here. But I have to say...I am extremely happy to get to see them now...will probably get teary eyed...lol.

4. FunkyPhreshMama

FunkyPhreshMama Visitor

i will bring tissues............

5. avacado_salesman

avacado_salesman Bath Water

I admit there is a little something missing without Jerry there, but you can still feel him. He aint playing now, he's out there wiggling his butt with the rest of us now!!!!!!

6. mamasoul

mamasoul Member

no comparison...."the dead" are not grateful dead..............

with that being said, i still go.....maybe its because i was too young to really catch grateful dead.....maybe its because i'm not as bitter as some.....

i still go, i still enjoy it, but when i want that real family vibe, well, its time to look elsewhere.........
    it can be found on dead lot occasionally, but i truely belive that the future of our scene is in the smaller festivals and shows.....

7. Psilodelix

Psilodelix Member

I think it's a given to say that 'The Dead' will never be the that close to the 'Grateful Dead' because Jerry's cosmic presence is no longer resonating through the notes...

8. dirtybongwater

dirtybongwater Member

Just listen to a Cd from the 60's / 70's followed by one from last years tour. There is no comparison. I still went last year and am still going this year (august 7th at the tweeter center) The way i see it is that the remaining members are all still worthy musicians. Jerry was special but i love grateful dead as a whole, so minus one band member doesn't change that for me.

9. alice_d_millionaire

alice_d_millionaire Just Do It©

aren't you guys forgetting about pigpen? he was the backbone of the grateful dead, and when he died in 73, their music took a whole new direction. it was still good, but it lacked a little soul.

i agree, no comparison. but hey, they still kick ass!

10. crummyrummy

crummyrummy Brew Your Own Beer Lifetime Supporter

I dunno,I have always favored the Brent Years over the Pigpen Years. Yeah I I agree about them moments though, you just go, DAMN...I miss Jerry....but then you get back into it cuzz the energy only shifted, it didnt fade away.

11. mmmnuggets

mmmnuggets Member

no comparrison.for me...i dont like the way the dead have rearranged some of the tunes they play live...it messes up my groove...i still love 'em but they dont wow me...i like phil and freinds more..Brent was the shit i was fortunate enough to see the grateful dead 45-50 times 1988-94 so there my 2cents

12. HappyChild

HappyChild Member

However...no one can deny that Jimmy Herring is the man!
    Probably one of the greatest "replacements" I've ever heard in a band!
    He's not Jerry, but
    Sometimes if you close your eyes...................

13. mmmnuggets

mmmnuggets Member

Not if i close these eye I felt like i lost a good freind when Jerry died..I think its so embeded in my pyche that hes moved on that its so different to me...do not get me wrong hes awesome truly a great player and blend well with the others i just miss my freind

14. maryjaneguitargurl

maryjaneguitargurl I am just like you.

I just saw a documentary about them. They have a really neat band. R.I.P jerry Garcia

peace
    chickens

15. FunkyPhreshMama

FunkyPhreshMama Visitor

i never saw em with jerry but I just saw em (the dead) for the first time last weekend and they rocked my socks. Wish I was able to see em with Jerry but he passed away before I got the chance, I remember reading it in the paper and clippin the article and putting it on my wall, i was so sad...................
    I will definately be seeing the dead again this summer!!

16. moonlightdelerium

moonlightdelerium Senior Member

Yeah, what about Pigpen? He was so important with his uncontrolled passionate bluesy voice.

*Hey now pretty baby, just can't help myself* Just keep on singing with Pigpen and playin' with Jerry and they'll never REALLY leave.

17. tiedye0420

tiedye0420 Member

The dead is cool, they still carry the torch of experimentation, which is what jerry and the grateful dead is all about. Nothing like the old jerry shows though, i would not wanna see JGB without jerry, but the dead without Jerry, WE NEED to be grateful for.

there were times (I saw them new years ,both nights in oakland) when bobby would throw both arms up inthe air, while keeping eye contact with the band, and reach ,and bring down jerry, it was cool The sound would warp out and Jerrys spirit would be channeled by one of the guitaurists, mark karan i believe. It was cool, I mean the whole show he would be "standing on the moon" watching over all of us, but when bobby did this he would bring jerry to earth to jam a little while.

You see, jerry was a heavy believer in christ, he belonged to a presbeterian church in marin. Just listen to "bid you goodnight" or "cryptical development" you will know. He is a lot like jesus now, although not actually a god, he hangs out up there and watches over us. I have the mind link with him at times, It's been a loooooong strange trip indeed..
    "there is only one in ten thousand who come for the show" (Bobby)
    tiedyebruce

18. avacado_salesman

avacado_salesman Bath Water

I agree. It seemed like the opener was intentionally play askew to make sure you knew Jerry had moved on, then they just got right back into the groove I came to find. I still LOVE THE DEAD!!!!!!!!

Oh Yeah, go See the DARKSTAR ORCHESTRA too. they Rock.

19. FunkyPhreshMama

FunkyPhreshMama Visitor

i completely agree with you on this one. i wold love to beleive he was my guardian angel, once we were driving along and the cd player in the car was turned completely off, all of a sudden my dead cd came on and sure enuff it was jerry singing.................... very awesome!!

20. DoDaMan

DoDaMan Member

Just like others have said, "There is no comparison". Then again, I have attended over 50 Grateful Dead shows, so there is no way I could compare the two..............

~namaste~