Granola

Discussion in 'Munchie Recipes' started by Kelly, May 8, 2004.

1. Kelly

Kelly Member

Does anyone here have a good easy to make, granola recipe? I tried making it once with oatmeal, honey, coconut and a few other things, but it never got crispy and hard in the oven, it stayed kinda gooey and then eventually just burned. Maybe the temp. was wrong...any advice?

2. kitty fabulous

kitty fabulous smoked tofu

i think maybe you used too much honey. if there's too much it won't get crisp, but it will burn quickly. i usually use about 1/2 to 3/4 cup honey to about 4-5 cups grain, but you may be able to get away with as much as a cup. also, adding a bit of canoloa oil will help it get crisp, but store it air-tight and use it quickly or it may go rancid.

the last time i made granola, this is what i made, although, i warn you, it's the crunchiest damn granola you'll ever try! this is super-hippie granola: it has soy, flax and hemp! use any combination of grains, nuts, seeds, and fruit that appeals to you.

2 cups whole rolled oats
    1 cup wheat flakes
    1/2 cup rice flakes
    1/2 cup rolled soybeans
    1 cup wheat germ
    (this is the part i didn't measure, i just used handfuls)
    cashews
    sunflower seeds
    pumpkin seeds
    flax seed
    hempseed (if you can get it)

about 3/4 cup honey
    cinnamon
    ginger, and maybe some cardamom
    vanilla or almond extract

raisins
    dates
    banana chips
    papaya bits
    coconut flakes

set the oven to 300, and toast the spy for about 10 minutes, then add the rice & toast for another 5 or 10 minutes. toast the wheat and oats together for about 15 minutes. when toasting the nuts, start the cashews first, then add the pumpkin and sunflower seeds, then the hemp, and lastly the flax. toast everything until it is almost golden, but not quite ready yet, and pour it all into a huge glass bowl as you take things out of the oven. add the raw wheat germ to the toasted grain, nuts, and seeds. combine the honey, spices, and/or flavorings. sometimes i use maple syrup, or you can add a little blackstrap molasses. once i added ginseng extract at this stage, for a good energy granola. if you are using oil, add it now, too - maybe 1 T to 1/4 cup. stir everything thoroughly until it's all well-coated with the honey mixture. turn it out onto baking sheets and return to the oven for another 5-10 minutes or so. while the grains toast, place any combination of dried fruit you crave in the bottom of the bowl. when the granola comes out of the oven, pour it over the dried fruit into the bowl, and gently stir until it's well combined. adding the fruit while the granola is still hot makes the fruit wonderfully chewy. allow it to cool completely before storing it an air-tight container.if the granola is not completely cooled before it is stored, it will grow mold.

3. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

I love granola!

I've an easy recipe making granola bars... but you need granola as a base, if you want to make it from scratch or if you want to buy it ready made....

* 2 cups plain granola
    * 1/3 cup peanuts
    * 1/3 cup walnuts
    * 1/3 cup pecans
    * 1/4 cup shredded coconut
    * 1/4 cup bran cereal
    * 1/2 cup raisins
    * 1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped
    * 1/2 cup dried apple pieces
    * 1 egg
    * 1 cup honey
    * 1/3 cup chocolate chips
    * 1/4 cup peanut butter
    * 1 cup prunes
    * hot water
    In a bowl mix granola, nuts, bran, coconut, dried fruit (except prunes) and chocolate chips. In a separate bowl, mix honey, egg, and peanut butter until even. In a 3rd bowl, pour hot water over prunes so it barely coveres it. Puree this in a blender until smooth. Pour over granola mix and mix evenly, and then mix honey mixture in and mix evenly, so the granola mix is evenly covered by the wet ingredients.
    Spread thinly in an inch deep pan, and bake at 275F until golden brown on top, about 10 minutes, but keep your eye on it! (spread an EXTREMELY thin coat of flour at the bottom of the pan before spreading granola)
    While it's still warm, cut bars an let cool on a cooling rack. Enjoy!

4. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

Do you mean that it felt gooey when you took it out of the oven? You have to let it cool! Then it will harden up for you. :D Hope this helps!

5. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

ah, granola is better gooey, at least that's what I think! But to each their own...