grafting care question!

Discussion in 'Cacti Delecti' started by mmelody, May 19, 2004.

1. mmelody

mmelody Member

Ive just grafted some 1.5cm peyote onto a myrtlye..they appear to have taken really well...I was just wondering if there is any special care I should give them while they settle into their new home ???

2. madboy139

madboy139 Member

keep a rubber band over it for a while to make sure it attachs properly.

3. jtryp

jtryp Member

careful with a rubber band with a small thing like that, it's unnessary ime anyway. you should keep it in a humid enviroment for a couple days with moderate light (no full sun) after that just keep it in the shade and water when soil is dry, good luck

4. mmelody

mmelody Member

Ya..I thought the rubber band method was a little harsh, but they have fixed on really well without one. Happily enjoying our sunshine at the moment..just hope they stay looking so healthy! Thanks

5. madboy139

madboy139 Member

when i was just starting my cactus garden (which is just regular cacti, no peyote) i was reading up on it and some woman in some book gave that as a tip. i haven't done much grafting though and have only used that a few times.

6. jtryp

jtryp Member

yeah generally it's a good idea but not with peyote seedlings, i just grafted on that was about a year old and it was still smaller than my pinky nail. you can use superglue as well but for such small things were dealing with it just causes more problems. just making sure all the air bubbles are out and the sicon is in place is enough, the graft will usually heal in 2-3 days then everythings good to go :cool:

7. madboy139

madboy139 Member

sorry about that. hope i didnt cause anyone problems with their plants.

8. mmelody

mmelody Member

Hey no worries madboy. In my cactus care book it reccomends using an elastic band to fix on the grafts. We did try it but it just looked really harsh pressing onto the little buttons ;)

They have been on for nearly 2 weeks now and are still looking good thought they feel a little "squishy". Im just hoping its the adjustment to enviroment and they will firm up again soon. :)

9. mrmescal

mrmescal Member

You can always use a peice of stocking instead of a rubber band. Strech the stocking over the scion (graft) and attach it to the spikes of the stock. For extra care you can place a cotton ball over the scion b4 the stocking.