gpa question

Discussion in 'Higher Ed' started by Jetblack, Jun 4, 2004.

1. Jetblack

Jetblack Senior Member

im looking to go to a university after high school and dont want to have to attend a community college first, so anyways, wat is the average gpa one should have for their 4 years of high school to even consider applying to a university, in freshman year i really screwed up and ended up with a gpa of like 2.6 for the year this year ive done better i think my gpa is at 3.1, so anyways besides the point that i should do my best regardless wat should i aim for gpa wise for junior and senior year to even think about getting accepted/applying, also will my last years gpa temendously affect my overall4 year gpa? if so how bad

2. Jaque Imo

Jaque Imo Up on The Lowdown

GPA is only one of many factors Colleges and Universities take into account in thier admissions policies. Your SAT scores also carry weight at some schools. GPA is a main factor, but schools are looking more for extra-curriculars, leadership roles, and community service. Another requirement for some colleges is that you write a series of essays on a topic of thier choosing. Your best bet is to apply to as many colleges as you can, and tweak your resume' so that you can fill out an application quickly and effectively. Many colleges allow on-line application for free. Talk to your guidence counselor. A 3.1 GPA is good, and many excellent schools would accept that. Each of your Grade Points is worth the same numerical value in the broad scheme. So if you work hard these next two years, you could come out with a 3.5 or better. Take honors and AP classes if you can. AP classes count as a 6, and honors count 5 on your weighted GPA, if you get an A, this would obviously increase your GPA significantly. Many students graduate with higher than a 4.0 on thier weighted GPA, due to Honors and AP credit. Your region of the country is full of great colleges. And if by chance you aren't able to get the scholarship money needed for school, Military Service is always an option, they have plans where they'll pay for your 4-year degree. Just be careful who you enlist with...probably not the marines, I'd say go Navy if you wanted to avoid combat roles. But anyway, I hope this helps some, if you have questions let me know.

3. antithesis

antithesis Hello

It really depends on the college. Some colleges couldn't care less about GPA. I could have got into my school with a GPA of about 1.3 (which is incidentally my gpa for the first semester of college) because I had a high enough SAT score. But, your GPA is not bad, and so I'm sure you'll be able to get into a school.

4. dspiel

dspiel Member

Good news: Progress and improvement matter! So as you said, you "messed up" freshman year. If you can show that that was messing up, and not your real potential, then colleges really like that. You brought your gpa up this year, and so if you can keep it there or improve it further, fantastic! A student with a straight 3.0 GPA, vs. a student who had a 2.5, then 2.9, then 3.3, then 3.6 or something like that, colleges love to see someone working increasingly hard and showing that they are capable of handling things.

Also, a note, take challenging classes if you can. Colleges would rather you get good grades in a normal courseload of intense classes rather than good grades in an insane number of really easy classes.

But most importantly, way to go on the improvement! That's the best thing you can do for yourself! Well done! :)

5. WanderingturnupII

WanderingturnupII Grouchy Old Fart

No shit?? I would have figured you for a 3.5+...BTW, if your SAT score is above 1200, you can join MENSA, and be a card carrying genius, if you are dumb enough to send them money.

6. dspiel

dspiel Member

SATs compensating for a 1.3 GPA? Hmmmm, hard to believe unless the SATs are teh sole admission factor for the college. Because while the SATs just reflect how well you know certain material and how well you take standardized tests, your GPA reflects how you did in classes. And I'd think a D+ AVERAGE through high school would indicate you porbably wouldn't do much ebtter in college. But *shrug* weird things happen.

Best of both worlds is have good GPA and then strong SATs to solidify your case.

7. Jetblack

Jetblack Senior Member

hahaha wouldnt u know, i was planning on joining the marines, following my dads footsteps

8. fitzy21

fitzy21 Worst RT Mod EVAH!!!!

if your considering joining the marines, then maybe a college with a NROTC with a Marine option, program could be a choice. Then when you graduate, you could be a 2nd Lt. Or if you just go ahead and enlist with the Marines, they have a program, its called MICEPS, where you can go to school. Dont' really know that much abotu MICEPS, but its a good program for people in the Marines.

9. Jetblack

Jetblack Senior Member

ya i rather go through a nrotc program i know some marines that go to school while they r enlisted and they say its to complicated and more trouble then its worth and its better to do school b4 or after u joined

10. jimaug87

jimaug87 Member

Depends what type of school your looking to go to. A a lot of state schools will take you in the high 2's as undeclared if you have fairly strong SAT scores and extra curricular activities. My advice is join clubs that recive awards and keep on improving. The hard work and headahces you go through for the next 2 years (you are a sophmore right?) will be worth it once your accepted to the school of your choice.

11. KParker730

KParker730 Member

work fuckin hard your junior year and do well on psats acts and sats! i had about a 3.1 my freshman year, a little better sophmore, then i kinda neglected my social life this year and have like a 3.8 weighted. my psats were really good but i havent gotten my scores for sats or acts so i hope i do well! upward trends look really good so dont worry about a bad freshman year.